• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) A Tidy Profit... [Judge: Uriel]

Scorpio

First Post
D'Artagnon pulls a torch from his pack and flint and steel, and leans over out of the breeze to light it.Packs up the F&S, He ducks into the hatchway, holding the torch ahead of him, right hand on his whip.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
The hold is cluttered with crates, barrels, cargo nets, and othe sundry bits of the maritime trade. A handful of rats retreat before the illumination of the torch. A clear aisle runs fore and aft into the darkness. A series of wooden gratings serve as the flooring for the aisle.

Scorpio

First Post
D'Artagnon follows closely, paying attention to where the light is shining.
"Alright, we're looking for the bilge, should be near the midship along the keel. And 'watch out for leeward' I'm not sure what that means, but leeward would be to the bay from here..."
(OOC:To our left, I assume, if we enter the hold and are moving bowward, correct me if I'm wrong on orientation here)
"Could be a trap, or an alarm, or a loose nail, I don't know...."

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Scorpio said:
And 'watch out for leeward' I'm not sure what that means, but leeward would be to the bay from here...

OOC: Oo! D'Artagnon fails his Profession (sailor) check... Leeward means toward the 'protected' side. Usually, protected from the wind. So, leeward essentially means the downwind side. Which we'll aribitrarily decide is the port side of the ship tonight.

Amidships, D'Artagnon and Atella runs across an odd barrel-like wooden and metal cylinder. It stands just off the cleared aisle tothe starboard side of the ship. It's about three feet high, and not more than a half foot in diameter. A hand crank sprouts from the side toward the aisle like some sort of mechanical flower. A narrow pipe runs from the bottom of the cylinder down through the floor grating, and a second narrow pipe runs from the top of the cylinder up to the ceiling boards, where it turns to the side of the ship, and dissappears throught he hull.

It could be the bilge pump.

Scorpio

First Post
[OOC:Um...er....that's what I meant....um....Well. D'Artagnon was in Calvary anyway....LOL

"Well, Atella, this could be the bilge pump..." D'Artagnon illuminates the cylinder with the torch, looking for any obvious signs of recent activity, IE, fresh scapes, parts replaced or 'don't match',and any compartments that might give access to the cylinder for cleaning or maintainance.

"I have no idea what we're looking for- but my first guess would be a map or a document of some sort....maybe..."

orsal

LEW Judge
Meanwhile, at the top of the stairs, Jo suddenly realizes what it was that, in his daze, didn't seem quite right. Without turning away from his lookout post, he asks Zhangsun, "Say, what about that other human who was with D'Artagnon? Where did he go?"

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Scorpio said:
D'Artagnon illuminates the cylinder with the torch, looking for any obvious signs of recent activity, IE, fresh scapes, parts replaced or 'don't match',and any compartments that might give access to the cylinder for cleaning or maintainance.

The wooden staves of the pumps barrel are damp and mildewed. The metal bands and rivets are tarnished and rusty. The hand crank has been well greased, however, to keep it turning smoothly. There's no obvious way into the interior of the pump, but the proper tools could easily pry off the lid, or maybe a few of the staves.

orsal said:
"Say, what about that other human who was with D'Artagnon? Where did he go?"

There's no sign of him anywhere nearby. He might have snuck off while no one was looking.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads