4E [Adventure] Dusk and Her Embrace (Judge: THB)

Ghourra tries her best to stay out of the way, mostly keeping below deck as the ceiling and stale air gives her a familiar feeling of being underground. When she does need to go topside, she tries to stay as far away from the edge of the deck as possible.
 

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
Hearing Tana's question, the captain returns to the group. "Aye, I know him and if you know what's good for the lot of you, you'll steer clear of that thieving backstabber. From the moment I had the misfortune of meeting him, he's been nothing but trouble." He spits on the deck, crossing his arms across his chest. "Take you for example, if not for him I'd be on my way to Galethspyre to make a killing on my cargo."

Walking away for a second time, he calls back over his shoulder, "Steer clear of that one if you know what's good for you."

The next two days pass slowly, but uneventfully, and before long, the town of Moonwatch comes into view. The brig moves into port and Darjiin quickly has a rowboat lowered into the calm waters. "Aron--" he motions to one of his sailors, "--will bring you to shore and then, you are on your own. I will wait in port for three days and not a moment more."

The adventurer's climb down the cargo netting and onto the rowboat. The sailor, Aron, pulls on the oars, quickly bringing the boat to the wharf. Quick on his feet, Aron climbs onto the dock and secures the boat. "'member," he says, waiting for the group to disembark, "we're t'be waitin' three days 'nd no more."
 

jsb420

Visitor
"I thank ye dragonman fer yer hospitality. Imma hopin' we were too much trouble. I know'd me 'n Ghourra durn near ate you all yer food stuffs. We'll make sure to take Deimos -horns 'n all - wit us, as he's scarin' the crew. An' Tana will stop makin' yer deck her practice field, swingin' her sword 'round this way 'n that, practicin' her swordswoman stances and what not," Brondin says before exiting the brig.

Descending the cargo net (without falling), he shouts up to Darjiin "Be seein' you in 3 days, Cap'n!"

After Aron is well on his way back to the ship, Brondin turns to the COmpany of Strangers, "Well, we got this map showin' where we need ta be goin'. I've looked at it and can't make heads er tails o' it. I'm not familiar wit Moonwatch."

He opens the map and shows it to everyone. "Maybe we can hire us a local to show us the way?"

OOC: Horticulture: Is it day or night? Is there a tavern near so we can see about lodging/hiring NPC?

Everyone: Any other ideas?
 
Last edited:

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
OOC: Horticulture: Is it day or night? Is there a tavern near so we can see about lodging/hiring NPC?

Everyone: Any other ideas?
GM: Whoops, completely forgot that little tidbit. It's just before noon when you were dropped off. Moonwatch is no where near the size of Sharn, but there's definitely a tavern nearby.

As for the map, since I didn't explain what it looked like, it looks like the easiest route is to follow the river north all the way into the forest; you should run right into the temple.
 

drothgery

Community Supporter
Tana makes a careful note of the exact time they left the ship, as it seems clear the captain won't give them more than a few minutes leeway.
Practice field?
"Nor am I," Tana said, taking a look at the map. "But I think it's pretty clear we should go this way..." She indicated the route on the map, and pointed. She wasn't any kind of a wilderness tracker, but she was something of a historian. And history books were full of maps.
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
"Captain, I'm sorry if we were trouble, but it is because you tangled with that rascal, not us. Be so good and wait for us even if we're little late. Then when you make a killing on that cargo, you can hire us to...hmm...persuade Garfuss to leave you alone. It's bad luck abandoning adventurers, everyone knows that."

last part is just a little louder then strictly neccessary, drow glances around meeting few gazes on the way with his black eyes.

"I hate jungle. Let's get this over with. When we come close I'll go scouting while you lot wait. If anyone is skilled hunter I'd appreciate the company."
 

drothgery

Community Supporter
"I've some skill at avoiding notice, and my blade carries an enchantment that makes it suitable for throwing." Tana said. Which very nearly made her a skilled hunter, though she never applied her skills in that direction.[sblock=ooc]I'm getting into the habit of putting together 'skill matrix' spreadsheets when I'm in a PBP game, so we can easily tell what everyone's good at.[/sblock]
 

Attachments

jsb420

Visitor
OOC: I am voting for pressing ahead. The dragonborn will only wait 3 days.:)

Let's have Tana and Bellagon up front. Deimos and Ghourra in the middle and I'll take rear guard.

Horticulture: Can we make it to this temple before it gets dark?
 

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
OOC: I am voting for pressing ahead. The dragonborn will only wait 3 days.:)

Let's have Tana and Bellagon up front. Deimos and Ghourra in the middle and I'll take rear guard.

Horticulture: Can we make it to this temple before it gets dark?
GM: If you don't dawdle in town, you should make it there just before dark.

I'll post again in a couple hours. At work right now.
 
"I agree we need to make haste for the temple. If that is where our quarry has gone, then that is where we need to be."

"I've never really wandered a dense jungle so I won't be much help telling you what is up ahead, but I have spent years standing a post as a guard and I've developed some keen senses that at the very least might keep us out of danger."


Once they are out of town, Ghourra keeps her gouge at the ready at times and her eyes peeled for trouble. If needed, she will use her sun globe to illuminate the darkness.
 

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
"I agree we need to make haste for the temple. If that is where our quarry has gone, then that is where we need to be."

"I've never really wandered a dense jungle so I won't be much help telling you what is up ahead, but I have spent years standing a post as a guard and I've developed some keen senses that at the very least might keep us out of danger."


Once they are out of town, Ghourra keeps her gouge at the ready at times and her eyes peeled for trouble. If needed, she will use her sun globe to illuminate the darkness.
GM: One other thing: you guys will be traveling through a forest, not a jungle. I apologize if I left that unclear. : )
 

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
OOC: Doesn't matter to Ghourra, and she probably doesn't know the difference. She lived in a dwarven settlement all her life.
GM: That's perfectly fine, SoM, and I hope it didn't sound like I was attacking you or your character. That was not my intention. I just wanted to clarify, in-case.
 

drothgery

Community Supporter
"If you want jungle, I think you need to go to Xen'drik. Not fond of it myself, but if you want to pluck something out of old giant ruins, you generally need to go through jungle." Tana says.
OOC: Taking point works for me.
 

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
Following the river north, the Company of Strangers set out, leaving the small town of Moonwatch behind. There are wagon ruts along the river, perhaps the only connection to the larger world in this area, branching off occasionally to end at isolated farmsteads. The farmers, seeing the adventurers, stop working at their chores and, leaning upon hoe or axe or shovel, stare at the motley crew of travelers; upon their passing, continue with the back-breaking labor.

The sun continues to creep westward in the sky, drawing longer and longer shadows upon the ground. A hot day, the sun beats down on the group, drawing beads of sweat on foreheads and staining clothing with perspiration. Here and there, fish can be seen breaking the surface of the river waters, lazily swimming downstream.

Two hours of uneventful travel later, the forest looms large before the group. Overhanging branches provide a canopy of shade along the riverbanks, noticeably dropping the temperature and making the walk all the more bearable. Insects and the chattering of forest creatures provide a backdrop.

Hours later, the trees of the forest suddenly give way to a large, bare clearing dominated by a weed-choked temple. Its peaked roof, festooned with demonic gargoyles, is largely intact, although its windowless walls are cracked and crumbling. The main entrance to the temple, two mammoth, ironbound doors, yawn open, exposing nothing but darkness beyond. Although obviously abandoned and in disrepair, the structure exudes a quiet malevolence made all the more haunting by the waning light of the setting sun.
 

jsb420

Visitor
"This is lookin' like the temple Garfuss told us about. Let's keep a look out fer this Doran an' his Daggers. The faster we can git Garfuss' gold, the sooner we can return to Sharn."

Brondin grips his craghammer and scans the clearing, looking for signs of activity around the temple. He is starting to have a sinking feeling. This was too easy

[sblock=Tactics]I'd suggest we look around a bit before storming the temple. Using drothgery's spreadsheet, looks like Ghourra has the best perception and Deimos has the best Religion.

I'll roll to aid perception

Aid Ghourra in Perception (1d20=10)[/sblock]
 
[sblock=Tactics]I'd suggest we look around a bit before storming the temple. Using drothgery's spreadsheet, looks like Ghourra has the best perception and Deimos has the best Religion.

I'll roll to aid perception

Aid Ghourra in Perception (1d20=10)[/sblock]
Ghourra scans the temple grounds with Brondin, keeping an eye out for behind her allowing the mul to focus rather than split her attention but the landscape is still alien to her, thus she does not know what exactly to focus on.

[sblock=Perception]Perception (1d20+13+2=19)[/sblock]

OOC: Looks like you forgot to add your modifier of +3, which is enough to turn the aid from failure to success.

Also everyone needs to keep my class feature in mind:

Canny Leader (Hybrid): Ghourra and any ally within 10 squares of her who can see and hear her gain a +2 bonus to Insight checks and Perception checks.
 

Advertisement

Top