4E [Adventure] Dusk and Her Embrace (Judge: THB)

drothgery

Community Supporter
The gnome trails after Bellegon. But she's been in Sharn for too long; she's a bit out of practice hiding.
 

Walking Dad

Visitor
Deimos Vrago, Tiefling Wizard (Mage) 5

Deimos stays back with the other less stealthy members of the group. He looks at the temple's decoration and triesto remember what he knows about it and related religions.

[sblock=OOC]
wiki sheet is still level 4 and before the flaming weapon update.

Deimos is level 5, but not yet approved for this level.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Deimos Vrago
Perception: 13 Insight: 20 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 16 Reflex 18 Will 19
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 40 / 40 Bloodied: 20
Temporary Hit Points: -
Resist: fire 6
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: -
Healing Surge:10 Surges per day: 8 / 8
At-Will Powers: Magic Missle, Freezing/Fire Burst, Beguiling Strands
Encounter Powers: Infernal Wrath, Charm of Misplaced Wrath, Fire Shroud, Shield
Daily Powers: Flaming Sphere, Summon Magma Beast

Condition:
[/sblock][/sblock]
 

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
As Bellegon and Tana disappear into the surrounding treeline, but neither find anything of interest beyond the occasional matted grass and weeds from what looks to be an animal bedding down for the night. They come back to the group empty-handed.

Ghourra patiently pokes around the temple with Brondin's help. Besides the large doors in the front of the temple, there are four other entrances, two on each side of the temple. All four doors are rusted and swelled shut. Of special note, however, is that the leering gargoyles around the temple appear to have been repurposed; it looks like they were once statues of something else and were changed to appear as gargoyles in the not too distant past.

The caricatures of the statues are instantly familiar to Deimos: they represent one of the first children of Khyber, the overlord Katashka, who possesses power over death.
 

jsb420

Visitor
"I'm not likin' this. Garfuss said this was an easy job. Go, get his gold, go home. Now Doran and seems ta 'ave lost his daggers." Bronidn chuckles at his attempt at humor.

Seeing nothing pertaining to the group's quarry, Brondin rounds up everyone to discuss their options.

OOC: Options: Go inside, or Stay outside, simple enough.

Death god huh? Good to know.

Horticulture: What time of day is it? Almost dark I'm thinking
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
"I say we go in. First, we're not wounded, just little bit warmed up by walking. Second, we can have cover of darkness while approaching the temple. And third, by carrying a torch, you can draw attention, while I surprise the living daylights out of someone. And something tells me it wouldn't really be safe to camp in the vicinity of the temple, we would just risk surprise attack for no gain."
 
Ghourra nods. "I agree once we are inside, you go on ahead, but remain within earshot of the rest of us. I will keep us illuminated."

Ghourra retrieves the crystal sphere from her pack and set it to a birght glow.

She then examined the large doors to make sure there were no ward, which ancient temples such as this were known to hold.

[sblock=Examine Doors]Perception (1d20+13=20)[/sblock]

Once her search was complete, she allowed the light to dim with a touch to the barest radiance.

[sblock=Sun Globe]Property: You can command this item to shed bright or dim light either 5 or 10 squares in all directions as a free action (or to shed no light).

I will keep it at 5 squares of dim light until the first sign of danger, at which point I will use a free action to increase the illumination to 10 squares of bright.[/sblock]
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
"Nifty thing. You are prepared. How many of you can see in the dark?" he asks before slinking into the night. He crawls close to the main entrance and checks the approach and the door for dangerous contraptions or wards.

Thievery check for traps (1d20+11=25)
Temple approach stealth (1d20+15=29)

OOC: I think we're running ahead, [MENTION=78756]Son of Meepo[/MENTION], we're still in the woods and nobody else agreed we're going inside in the dark. Also, Bellegon would prefer to go toward the temple without light (even humans see enough in normal night to move forward) and then check the door before everyone comes too close (at least keep clear out of blast 3 or even 5)
 
OOC: I think we're running ahead, @Son of Meepo , we're still in the woods and nobody else agreed we're going inside in the dark. Also, Bellegon would prefer to go toward the temple without light (even humans see enough in normal night to move forward) and then check the door before everyone comes too close (at least keep clear out of blast 3 or even 5)
OOC: Sorry if it wasn't clear enough in my last post, but Ghourra's intent was to walk around the immediate vicinity of the temple. I advanced because I have the best chance in the party at discovering most types of traps (those that can be discovered with perception).

Thievery is good for disabling traps, but I don't believe in most cases it does a lick of good in actually finding them, but using Arcana to scan for magic is something you could probably help with as some magical traps cannot be detected with Perception.

But honestly, I don't want to spend two weeks of RL time standing out here, searching every square of the temple exterior before going in. I've tried playing Tomb of Horrors pbp, it's a horribly boring experience.
 

Walking Dad

Visitor
Deimos Vrago, Tiefling Wizard (Mage) 5

"Starlight is enough for me to see, but my eyes cannot penetrate the veil of complete darkness. For this I learned a light spell. Whoeve goes first beware, this temple belongs to one of the first children of Khyber, the overlord Katashka, who possesses power over death."

Deimos explains direly.

[sblock=OOC]
wiki sheet is still level 4 and before the flaming weapon update.

Deimos is level 5, but not yet approved for this level.

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Deimos Vrago
Perception: 13 Insight: 20 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 16 Reflex 18 Will 19
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 40 / 40 Bloodied: 20
Temporary Hit Points: -
Resist: fire 6
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: -
Healing Surge:10 Surges per day: 8 / 8
At-Will Powers: Magic Missle, Freezing/Fire Burst, Beguiling Strands
Encounter Powers: Infernal Wrath, Charm of Misplaced Wrath, Fire Shroud, Shield
Daily Powers: Flaming Sphere, Summon Magma Beast

Condition:
[/sblock][/sblock]
 

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
The only thing remotely interesting Ghourra and Bellegon discover about the doors is that someone looks to have pried them open in the near past - looters, perhaps, or maybe Doran's group of mercenaries. If there were traps or wards on the doors or exterior of the temple, someone has disabled them, or set them off, already.
 
"People say I have my mother's eyes, and that apparently applies to how well they adjust to the darkness. Living underground, I've found this bauble to be of great value. It was my mother's from the temple of Dol Arrah she served in back in her homeland before moving to live with my father's people."

Ghourra realizes she has been caught reminiscing again, and that could only lead to another breakdown. Here was not the time or place for tears, she could almost hear her stern father scolding, as he had done at times in her youth. She takes a deep breath before returning to the matter at hand.

"Whatever might be directly inside will likely notice the door opening, there doesn't appear to be any way around that. Thus, I do not want to stand too far away that I could not rescue you from what lurks inside. Perhaps just around the nearest corner of closest tree is far enough. Bellegon can open the door and take a peek inside, with the rest of us ready to move quickly after him."

OOC: Muls have the normal vision of their human parent. I had considered taking the racial feat to give me low-light, but I decided I wanted other things instead.
 

jsb420

Visitor
Seeing the orb flare up doesn't bother Brondin, although it does makes the stone gargoyles look that much more threatening.

"Whoever goes first beware, this temple belongs to one of the first children of Khyber, the overlord Katashka, who possesses power over death."
Upon hearing this, Brondin becomes more hyper-alert. Khyber! Darkness most foul! Once again the runes speak true!

"Aye, I be thinkin' we head inside while there's a lil light left. We've done looked at everythin' outside hereabouts and seen nothin' o' our quarry. With darkness a comin', we'd lose an ally against Khyber's darkness. I wouldna want ta be caught in the open," says Brondin.

OOC: I say we form ranks. Warriors to the fore, while the mages and those with ranged attacks in support. Horticulture says there's no obvious traps on the front doors, so lets enter that way.
 

MetaVoid

Explorer
"Over death? As in there will be undead here? Or real live creatures who should be dead? My powers aren't really effective against undead, though I'm working on it. Stay low."


[sblock=Can we assume this happened on the ship during some tactics discussion?]
"Oh, and one more thing. I have one power that benefits greatly from cooperation, for merest drop of your blood given willingly I could greatly enhance it's effect. So I'm asking in advance to avoid discussion in the fight."
[/sblock]

Bellegon enters the temple.

OOC: Defenders/Meleers to the fore except for Bellegon :) He's stealthy, he's mobile and has teleport power to get him out of some bind or the other :)


OOC: I agree it could be two weeks in discussion, but it could also be only 48 hours so we could wait at least that long.

And we can delegate few things to our DM:
1. Assume Bellegon is in stealth mode just outside light radius with hopefuly someone sturdier near the edge with low light vision
2. Assume he checks any and all doors for traps using thievery and/or arcana (hopefuly, perception won't be all that neccessary as he assumes there are traps) using perception as you deem fit to avoid waiting for PC rolling - I may change this default if the temple is already looted and start it again as we come to some evidence of traps or dead daggers.
3. Any discussion taking longer then say three days is to be cut short with you going with the majority.

Thanks for reading :)
 
Last edited:

drothgery

Community Supporter
OOC: Looks like there was a flurry of activity before I logged on to ENWorld this morning. Or even woke up.

"Nifty thing. You are prepared. How many of you can see in the dark?" he asks before slinking into the night. He crawls close to the main entrance and checks the approach and the door for dangerous contraptions or wards.
"Gnomes can see in dim light, but not total darkness." Tana mentioned.

OOC: I say we form ranks. Warriors to the fore, while the mages and those with ranged attacks in support. Horticulture says there's no obvious traps on the front doors, so lets enter that way.
OOC: And Tana (who certainly considers herself more of a 'mage' than a 'warrior' -- if a mage who uses a sword for an implement and uses her magic to stand in the line of battle) and has a few ranged attacks would completely disegard that idea and go to the front anyway :)




[sblock=Can we assume this happened on the ship during some tactics discussion?]
"Oh, and one more thing. I have one power that benefits greatly from cooperation, for merest drop of your blood given willingly I could greatly enhance it's effect. So I'm asking in advance to avoid discussion in the fight."
[/sblock]

Bellegon enters the temple.

OOC: Defenders/Meleers to the fore except for Bellegon :) He's stealthy, he's mobile and has teleport power to get him out of some bind or the other :)


OOC: I agree it could be two weeks in discussion, but it could also be only 48 hours so we could wait at least that long.

And we can delegate few things to our DM:
1. Assume Bellegon is in stealth mode just outside light radius with hopefuly someone sturdier near the edge with low light vision
2. Assume he checks any and all doors for traps using thievery and/or arcana (hopefuly, perception won't be all that neccessary as he assumes there are traps) using perception as you deem fit to avoid waiting for PC rolling - I may change this default if the temple is already looted and start it again as we come to some evidence of traps or dead daggers.
3. Any discussion taking longer then say three days is to be cut short with you going with the majority.

Thanks for reading :)
OOC: Despite my poor rolling above, and Tana thinking Bellegon's ally-damaging powers are creepy, if there's enough light for low-light vision to be sufficient, then she should probably stay up with him. She's stealthy, can become invisible if damaged, and her mark works at range if she marks an enemy and it heads for the main group anyway.


Tana follows Bellegon.
 

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
The group steps from the fading sunshine into the surprisingly cold darkness of the temple interior, gloomy and shrouded in shadow. The temple’s floor is smooth, polished stone. The ceiling has collapsed in some areas and littered the ground with fallen debris, and in one section, the floor has collapsed, leaving an open pit. The interior walls feature fading murals depicting scenes of butchery, cannibalism, and other profane acts. The temple is divided into two sections by a row of tall, ornate bookshelves filled with crumbling scrolls and tomes. In addition, you notice a number of egresses beyond the main door, and two sets of smaller doors along the eastern and western walls.

[sblock=Perception 10]The murals depict scenes of the Abyss. In addition to the demons in the murals, various types of undead are prominently depicted. Upon studying the mural closely, however, hints of an older, even more faded mural beneath the existing one can be seen. This older mural depicts scenes of busy forges; robed stern-faced clerics preaching to a rapt audience of muscled, coal-stained workers; more robed clerics before a large, roaring fire; and in the center of it all, a stout, bearded dwarf wearing a leather apron and holding a smithy hammer.[sblock=Religion 10]These images are obvious iconography of the church of Onatar, god of industry, crafts, and fire. The bearded dwarf is representation of the god.

There is something else interesting about the Onatar mural...[sblock=Religion 15]The more you study the iconography of the older mural, the more you feel that the painting, and perhaps Onatar himself, is trying to tell you something. And then it hits you, not only is this a painting of the church of Onatar, it is also a map showing the location of a hidden cache in this very temple. In fact, the location is at the north end of the temple, near a large statue.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

GM: If your passive perception is higher than the listed DC, feel free to read the sblock. If it is not, however, you'll need an active check.

Also, if you succeed in the perception check, you can then make a religion check to gain access to the next sblock, and so forth.
 

drothgery

Community Supporter
[sblock=skill check]Passive perception of 12, which is pretty bad, but still better than 10, so... Religion check (1d20+7=15)[/sblock]"It looks like there's another mural under all this gore." Tana mentions. "I think it's some sort of treasure map."
 

jsb420

Visitor
OOC: passive perception 13

Religion check (untrained) 2 (Apparently this dwarf doesn't recognize the Forge Father!)

Dungeoneering to see if pit is natural: 24

Horticulture: Is there a map available?


"I don't like this. Tis an empty room, dedicated to the gods of death. Be wary comrades!"
 

horticulture

Slightly entitled.
[sblock=Map]

The mural is located on the west wall, just north of the doors.
The braziers shown on the map are unlit.
The temple continues on past the bookcases to the north.[/sblock][sblock=Brondin]The pit is natural. It looks like the floor simply gave way. Looking down into the pit, you can see that it is approximately ten feet deep and ends at the forest floor below the temple foundation.

A DC 10 Athletics check will be required to climb into or out of the pit.[/sblock]
 

jsb420

Visitor
OOC: Brondin doesn't have arcana so he can't check out the shelves of books and scrolls so someone else will need to search those.

Brondin will check out the egresses (while within 5 sq of Ghourra for her bonus): 12 sucky!

I assume the doors are the same as described while outside, rusted and swelled shut.

Without seeing the northern part of the temple, it looks like there's only one entrance/exit.
 

Advertisement

Top