[Adventure] Dusk and Her Embrace (Judge: THB)

OOC: Not sure if this will spend the bonus from Ghourra, as this is first Arcana check after it. I would not spend it, but leave it to aid the main roll if possible

"Very well, let's start."

Bellegon starts by clearing the debris around the altar and drawing a circle for himself, with some drowish runes in it. He then stands inside, turns toward the crystal and spreads his arms as if to welcome the energy he expects to be released. His aura from the previous fight remains however and swirls menacingly.

Son of Meepo

First Post
Ghourra wasn't sure what the symbols they were having her search for would look like, she never really had time to study iconography when her father controlled her schedule.

She leaned close to the altar to see what had been laid there. That's when she realized that some of the pieces just smelled wrong. Perhaps it was the hand that placed them, or maybe it was the evil that seeped from them. Whatever it was, she knew what to do next. Calling the radiance from her weapons, she began to smash some things on the altar.

Perception (1d20+13=33)

Walking Dad

First Post
Deimos Vrago, Tiefling Wizard (Mage) 5

Deimos tries his best to remembering formulas helpful for Tana's ritual.

[sblock=OOC]

aid check rolled

-

Immediate Interruption: Shield (if it prevents a hit by a non-minion)
Immediate Reaction: Infernal Wrath (if hit by enemy in range/ not if weakened)

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Deimos Vrago
Perception: 13 Insight: 20 Low-light Vision
AC 20 Fortitude 16 Reflex 18 Will 19
Initiative: +3
Hit Points: 40 / 40 Bloodied: 20
Temporary Hit Points: -
Resist: fire 6
Saving Throw: -
Action Points: 2 Second Wind: 1
Milestones: 1.5
Healing Surge:10 Surges per day: 5 / 8
At-Will Powers: Magic Missle, Scorching Burst, Beguiling Strands
Encounter Powers: Infernal Wrath, Charm of Misplaced Wrath, Fire Shroud, Shield
Daily Powers: Flaming Sphere, Summon Magma Beast

Condition:

[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
OOC: If all four others can aid Tana for one check, she automatically succeeds (15 + 8 + rolling a 1 = 24). Not sure that's the best plan for futre rounds, though; Tana has a better chance of making the Arcana check on her own than Brondin does of making the dungeoneering check for a +2.

Unaided, Tana needs an 8 for a DC 23 Arcana check
Deimos and Bellegon need a 12 for a DC 23 Arcana check, or a 2 to successful aid another
Ghourra needs a 7 for a DC 20 Perception check
Brondin needs a 12 for a DC 20 Dungeoneering check

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that means the most mathematically sound strategy (though probably the least interesting strategy) is for Deimos and Bellegon to Aid Another, and Ghourra and Brondin to sit this one out unless they can think of something creative that the DM will let them succeed with a low roll on; if one Aid Another succeeds, then it's easier for Tana to make the Arcana check than for Ghourra to make the Perception check.

"You're right, that will work." Tana says to the tiefling. "And that's a very good idea." She tells the drow. And then she gets to work.

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: That's assuming that a failure on a secondary check results in a failure in the overall skill challenge. That usually isn't the case. Skills that don't provide successes usually don't provide failures. If they do result in failures, then there really is never an upside to even attempting them.

I have been acting on the assumption that the secondary skills are an alternative means of aiding another. (So, maybe they'd provide a -1 on a failure.)

But, THB should definitely weigh in.

drothgery

First Post
OOC: I didn't roll because I thought it was unnecessary, but Tana picked up one success after two secondary checks and two aid another checks gave her a +23 to Arcana, correct?

If failure on a secondary skill is equivalent to an aid another failure, then I'm still not sure if it makes sense for Brondin to try and aid with Dungeoneering (given that he's more likely to fail than succeed), but it certainly does make sense for everyone else.

"I will weaken the structure of the crystal if there comes to energy discharge. Other then that, I will try to redirect the energy back to that wall."

Bellegon motions with his hands, both rods drawing a path through his aura while he tries to gather and channel the energy of the crystals while others try to release it.

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: As long as you don't need more than a 13 to succeed, it's to your advantage to try to aid another.

Brondin succeeds on 9 numbers, fails on 11. The expected value of the roll is the weighted mean of all possible outcomes, where in this case, the weights are +2 for success and -1 for failure. The chance of success is .45, the chance of failure is .55.

2*.45 - 1*.55 = .9 - .55 = .35.

So Brondin's roll nets you a +.35 to your roll.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
As Tana begins to focus her will against the shard she feels some force strike out at her. She can't be sure whether it is malign intelligence, or just backlash as the crystal resists its destruction. The power isn't strong enough to stop her efforts, but it can hinder them, making coordination more difficult.

[sblock=Skill Challenge: Destroying the Necroshard]
Successes: 1/4
Failures: 0/3

Primary Skills:
Arcana and Religion (DC 23) to weaken the shard's power and eventually destroy it.

Secondary Skills:
Perception and Dungeoneering (DC 20), as you use keen eyes and knowledge of stonework to remove the dark iconography from the temple, allowing the holy energies of this place to flow freely. Success gives +2 to the next main Arcana or Religion check. Failure gives a -1.

The DC of all other Aid Another checks is 15.

Other skills can be used if you make a decent case for them. I would like everyone to participate if you think you can help, but I won't force it.[/sblock]

Remove ads