Adventure-Grown Sorcerers

Breakstone

First Post
I was pondering: What if you let Sorcerers decide what spells they have during the first adventure of each level?

For example, I make Piotr the Human Sorcerer. Before the adventure, I don't choose any spells. During the adventure, I come upon a wall that must be climbed. Thus I choose that Piotr has Spider Climb, as he will for the rest of his short-lived adventuring life.

Next, he has to hit a very small target with a bow he's not proficient in. Thus, I give him True Strike.

Or, during combat with an ogre, I decided he has Flare as a known spell.

At any time, I can choose more spells that don't have to be appropriate to the situation (but only as many as he knows).

When he levels up, I can choose more spells there or during the next adventure.

What do you think?

Ace

Adventurer
If your GM allows this its really quite fun. Remember though those choices are irrevocable.

If you neglect the basics you will regret it.

Almost every single class Sorcerer will need Magic Missle, Shield, and other spells like that.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Actually, I like that idea. Sure there are some basic spells that you may want, but I find it's better to take what fits the character and not by what's more useful.

Khaalis

Adventurer
This is how the Sorcerer SHOULD be. You dont sit and pour through musty old tomes and decide - hey I like that spell - let me learn it. Sorcerer spells are supposed to be innate, natural.

They begin to develop sporadically as unexplained occurances. Most Sorcerers have no formal training of any kind. Their spells should develop based on need at the time, not because a player decides they want to pour over thr PHB and pick the "most adventagious" of spells.

This is why I wrote a different version of the sorcerer to make them match more closely to the PHB description - which then has nothing to do with the class' mechanics.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Angelsboi

First Post
And as a DM i say if that is allowed, then i should be allowed to pick 1 spell for the sorcerrer each time they gain a new spell. If its natural and genetic, and im playing Gods/Goddesses, i think that should be allowed =)

wolfpunk

First Post
I would offer a way to appease players who would not really get to choose their spells if using this method. The character can, if they discover a spell that they would like, make a spellcraft check (not sure the DC) to replace one of the spells they had originally gained for the one that they now feel that they want more. Perhaps the spell replaced is randomly selected, so you might lose an equally good spell and still have that lousy spell that you will never ever use again.

Remove ads