[Adventure] He Chained Their Minds (DM: CrimsonFlameWielder; Judge Needed )

pathfinderq1

First Post
"I think it means we should not linger- but I don't think we know which way to go. Do we?" With the battle over, the lingering music in the air faded slightly. Joy cocked her head to one side, as if listening, but then turned her attention to scanning the area nearby, looking for a path.

[sblock= OOC] Perception 1d20+9= 12; roll http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3843921/ [/sblock]

[sblock= “Joy”]

Human (Elan), Hybrid- Ardent|Bard, MC- Warlord

Level 6
Initiative +5/Passive Perception 19/Passive Insight 13;
HP 47 (51)/Bloodied 25/Surge value 12/Per day= 9 (2 used)
AC 23/FORT 17/REF 18/WILL 21
Speed 5/Size medium/Saves normal
STR 13 (+1)/DEX 14 (+2)/WIS 8 (-1)
CON 14 (+2)/INT 12 (+1)/CHA 20 (+5)
Melee basic: Falchion +1; +13 (AC), 2d4+8 damage and target cannot shift until end of my next turn (Intent laid bare, Ardent AW 1)

Skills: Arcana +9; Athletics +9; Bluff +13; Endurance +12; Perception +9; Streetwise +13

Racial and class abilities: Telepathy 5, Origin= Immortal; Bardic virtue (Valor, +3 tHP once/turn); Skill versatility; Ardent mantle (elation; +2 Diplomacy and Intimidate, +2 damage dealt with OAs for allies within aura 5); Psionic augmentation (+2 pp)

At-will Powers: Intent laid bare, Energizing strike, Misdirected mark
Encounter powers: Shout of triumph, Ardent surge (x1), Majestic word (x1), Elan resilience, Dimension swap, Revitalizing incantation
Daily powers: Slayer’s song, Invitation to defeat, Inspiring word
Item powers: Harsh songblade (daily), Dwarven armor (daily)
>Action points: 1 left (of 1)
>Second wind: not used
http://l4w.wikia.com/wiki/PC:Joy_(pathfinderq1)

[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
If the sound was coming from South East it made perfect sense to Kane to head North West. He wanted to say so but the magic tingle was already fading from his blood and his words growing thick once more. "L-let's r-run" he stutters before he does just that, in the opposite direction the noise is coming from.

VanderLegion

First Post
"Sound's good to me" Vander says, then precedes to fly over and settle back into Ignatz's pack. He points toward the northwest after Kane and shouts, "Onward!!"

The sound of rumbling and buzzing continues to get louder and louder, even as the group wisely begins to move away from the sounds. The horses on the east side of the glade begin to buck and dance until, SNAP, their reins break free of the tree they were tied to. Without heed to their masters, they dashed past the adventurers and past Evan (who this entire time had been cowering behind a bush, waiting to see if he would need to run away, or if those he had hired were capable of ending the sudden threat), trampling through the foliage toward the north-west creating a sort of path for the adventurers to follow.

Without their horses, the adventurers are not surprised when they catch sight of their enemy. Thousands of swarming pixies, and dozens of red-capped dwarves appear in the glade as you prepare to run after your horses.

OOC: SKILL CHALLENGE: The Unseilee Death Race

For this next section, we're still rolling in turn sequence, but no initiative is needed... it will just be you guys acting, with my creatures acting in response to what you do (and perhaps what you roll). At the start of each of your turns roll Athletics (Base DC 17). If you have a speed greater than 6 squares (30 ft), give yourself a +2 bonus to the Athletics check for each 1 square/5 ft of movement you have above the normal movement rate of 6 squares/30 ft per move action. Likewise, if you have a speed lower than 6 squares (30 ft), give yourself a -2 penalty to the Athletics check for each square/5ft of movement you have below the normal movement rate of 6 squares/30 ft per move action.

Each of you are starting this skill challenge with a Buffer of 3. This buffer is a rate of how much space is between you, and the Unseilee creatures chasing you along the path! If you fail an Athletics check at the start of your turn, reduce your buffer by 1. If your buffer is reduced to 0, you lose a healing surge and must roll an Endurance check (DC 17). If you succeed, you manage to push yourself past your athletic limits and manage to give yourself a buffer of 1. If you are at a buffer of 0 at the start of your turn, you lose another healing surge and can roll the endurance check again to give yourself a buffer of 1. If you fail the Athletics check while at a buffer of 0 or lower, you CAN go into a negative buffer (as you fall further and further into the swarm of bad guys).

If you would lose a healing surge because of a failed athletics check (or starting your turn with a buffer of 0 or less) but have no more healing surges left, you instead take 2d6 damage.

For every round in which all members have a buffer of 1 or greater, you will gain 1 success toward the completion of this skill challenge.

That being said, this is a group challenge and not an challenge of successes for just yourself. As such, you have an option for helping out your friends!

If you have a buffer score that is equal to or greater than your friend, and want to help them out, you can take your turn to drop your buffer equal to your friends buffer (if your buffer is already equal to your ally's buffer, then go ahead and roll your helping athletics check then, accounting for the average speed of you and your ally). Then, at the beginning of both of your turns, you will each roll your athletics checks as though your speed was the average of your two speeds. The helper will count as the main roller, and the ally being helped will count as an assist. If the helped ally succeeds with his Athletics check, he gives the helper a +2 bonus to his check. If the helped ally fails his Athletics check, he gives the helper a -2 penalty.

If the helper succeeds on a DC 21 Athletics check, then the helper and the helped ally gain one buffer each. If the helper rolls at least DC 17 on the athletics check, then both the helper and the helped ally remain where they are, losing or not losing a healing surge as normal based on their current buffer score. If the helper does not manage to succeed on that DC 17 athletics check, then both the helper and the helped ally lose one buffer, taking healing surge loss/hit point damage as normal based on their buffer score.

If you are not helping out another ally, feel free to get creative while on the run! I'll be narrating the chase. Feel free to utilize anything in my descriptions to help describe how you're pulling away from the baddies, or perhaps you'll even be given the chance to do something that would slow them down!

It's now your turn... try to get away if you can! MUAHAHAHA!

jbear

First Post
Kane hikes up his knees and pushes his body as hard as it will go to outrun the horde behind them, headed towards the path left by the group's horses.

OOC: Turn 1: Start turn with Buffer: 3
Speed: Running = 6+2 = 8; +4 bonus to Athletics (Am I misinterpreting the intention here?)
Kane's Athletics Roll: 1d20+9=14 +4 Speed bonus = 18 = Success
Without the +4 Running Bonus Kane fails
End of Turn: Depending on the interpretation Kane either has a buffer of 2 or 3

OOC: @jbear : It is assumed that you guys are running since you are not in combat. The flying unseilee have a speed of 8, so running would keep your buffer where it is. The athletics checks are the character's way of navigating the rough terrain obstacles without slowing down. Bonuses only come into play if your base speed (plus other effects like boots of speed) increase your speed to 7+.

As such, a roll of 14 would be a failure for your first Athletics check.

TO EVERYONE: Also, perhaps this was not clear in my initial post for this challenge, but you are allowed to do other things besides just running away. If there is something else you would like to attempt, let me know. There are many things an adventurer could do to assist their fellow team mates and/or distract/disturb the chasing enemies behind you. Look for creative uses of your powers and/or skills. While your movement is taken up with the chase, feel free to use one other action on your turn! @jbear : feel free to take one of these actions if you wish, since you did not do so on your turn.

Kane runs along the path first, attempting to avoid heavy foliage and swinging tree branches that are moved by the fleeing horses. Feeling the tip of his boot catch on a thick tree root, Kane begins to stumble. However, he catches himself at the last moment and continues running. Daring to take a peek behind him, Kane can see the Unseilee creatures inching closer to his position.

OOC: Buffers:
4:
3: Joy, Ignatz, Kama'zer, Sound of Stone, Vander
2: Kane
1:
0:

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Slow to notice their peril, Kama'zer takes off like a loosed arrow once their direction is made clear by the horde of Unseelie chasing them.

OOC: Turn 1: Start turn with Buffer: 3 (not going to help anyone yet as we are all at buffer 3 to start)
Speed: Running = 6-1 = 5; -2 penalty to Athletics
Kama'zer's Athletics Roll: 1d20+11=28 -2 Speed bonus = 26 = Success
End of Turn: Kama'zer has buffer 3... unless....

Question, do we gain a buffer point above 3 for a regular Athletics check above 21 even if we're not helping someone? If so, Kama'zer would be buffer 4 now.

Last edited:

Although Kama'zer's armor slows his movements down more than some of the other adventurers in the group, the Gith's high level of fitness and physical mastery allow her to push herself further and faster than what would normally be capable for her. Her lungs and muscles burn from the strain, but she keeps at it, inching farther away from those fey creatures that would seek to harm her and her friends.

OOC: In my last OOC post, I have ruled that rolling a 21+ athletics check while not assisting will allow you to gain 1 buffer. I also alerted to you guys (in my last post here) that you have an action you can use on your turn beyond the basic athletics check you have to roll during each round of the chase. You can use this action to use a power or skill, in an attempt to affect the chase in some way. Feel free to use your action if you would like, since I did not see you do so in your turn's post.

OOC: Buffers:
4: Kama'zer
3: Joy, Ignatz, Sound of Stone, Vander
2: Kane
1:
0:

VanderLegion

First Post
Vander changes his mind about riding in Ignatz's pack as his fellow adventurer starts running and the various sharp and dangerous items in the pack start to bounce around, several coming close to hitting Vander in the process. As he rises out of the pack and looks back behind them he sees the closing fae creatures, and starts to fly in the opposite direction as fast as possible, which unfortunately turns out to not be fast enough.
OOC: Turn 1: Start turn with Buffer: 3
Speed: Flying - 6 speed
Athletics Roll: 1d20+3=15 - Fail
End of Turn: Vander has a buffer of 2 remaining

OOC: Is no-one going to attempt using their action to do something? You can use a standard, move, or minor action to do something on your turn (other than rolling athletics to move ahead/fall behind). The results of your action might effect the chase in a number of different ways, such as slowing the enemy down, or giving assistance to an ally (which might grant a bonus to athletics checks, or possibly a buffer point to some or all players), depending on how you depict your actions, and what you use. We can run this with just the Athletics checks... but feel free to have more fun than that! Remember that this isn't just a numbers game. It's a chase scene, and I want you guys to have your characters act as they would if they were being chased by hundreds of creatures out to kill them... cause they ARE!

Buffers:
4: Kama'zer
3: Joy, Ignatz, Sound of Stone
2: Kane, Vander
1:
0:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases