• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventure: Into the Wild

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Okay, missing Ibram. I assume I wasn't alone unable to log in for two days so I'll give him until next evening.[/sblock]

[sblock=Renquist]I don't think you have a mean to stay conscious when at -1. Do you?

But assuming Ibram heals you, I'll assume you just get up and spend second wind. Not yet included in the S&S.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Updated S&S, Ibram's up]
Hob Gob sold 1: 25/39
Backblade 2: dead/25
Warcaster: 2/46

Rocco 20+4/37 AP used, -3 surge
Ibram: +4
Renquist: -1/31 dying
Dante: 19/27
Virgil: 26/30, +2 for enemy attacking it

Hobgoblin Soldier (The guard token)
Perception 13; low-light vision
HP 39; Bloodied 19
AC 19 (21 with phalanx soldier); Fortitude 17, Reflex 12, Will 14
OA Longsword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+7 vs AC; 1d8+4 damage.
Phalanx Soldier
A hobgoblin soldier gains a +2 bonus to AC while at least one hobgoblin ally is adjacent to it.

Goblin Sharpshooter (The archer token)
Perception 12; low-light vision
HP 31; Bloodied 15
AC 16; Fortitude 12, Reflex 14, Will 11
OA Short Sword (if drawn)
+6 vs AC; 1d6+2 damage.

Goblin Blackblade (The goblins with the skullcap)
Small fey humanoid, goblin
Perception 11; low-light vision
HP 25; Bloodied 12
AC 16; Fortitude 12, Reflex 14, Will 11
OA Short Sword (standard, at-will) Weapon
+5 vs AC; 1d6+2 damage.
Combat Advantage
The goblin blackblade deals an extra 1d6 damage against any target it has combat advantage against.

Hobgoblin Subcommander (The black and white warrior token)
Senses Perception 18; low-light vision
HP 48; Bloodied 24
AC 19 (21 with phalanx soldier); Fortitude 18, Reflex 16, Will 17
Speed 5
OA Spear (standard, at-will) Weapon
+10 vs AC; 1d8+4 damage. If the hobgoblin subcommander hits with an opportunity attack, it shifts 1 square.

Hobgoblin Warcaster (The token with a cowl)
Perception 14; low-light vision
HP 46; Bloodied 23
AC 17; Fortitude 13, Reflex 15, Will 14
Speed 6
OA Quarterstaff (standard, at-will) Weapon
+8 vs AC; 1d8+1 damage.
[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
[sblock=Mal] In fact, I do. A nice little bonus to being a half dead, half risen Revenant: "Unnatural Vitality: Whenever you drop to 0 hit points or fewer, you are dying but may stay conscious until you attempt your first death saving throw. If you remain conscious, you may only take one standard action before you attempt your first death saving throw." Sometimes being in debt to Lauto has its benefits...

I much would have rather tried to hit the goblin and then started to die, but as I was knocked prone, I figured least I could do was not waste people's time trying to get over to stabilize me. [/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=Four Monos - Milestone]Yes.[/sblock]

[sblock=VB seems down]Damn it. They sometime go down and usually for days at a time.

That's very annoying since I again wasn't diligent in saving last round's snap shot.

Now, I am quite able to use other means to generate maps but I much prefer to do it from scratch rather than reconstitute from memory! We didn't keep close track of movement, relying on VB to do it for us. Plus, I'd have all the hassle of generating that map with token for just 1/2 a fight or less instead of a full encounter.

Given that :

A- The fight was tipping heavily your way (You had great early rounds! Me... not so much.)
B - You get an extended rest after this fight which gives me no incentive to fight until the end in order to deplete ressources for next encounter.

I am leaning toward ruling toward a rout, with the goblins splashing back into the pool. Warcaster was going down this round (most likely) which meant the archer were about to get rushed. Pretty much over at that point. Barring piss poor rules on your part and a stellar round on mine, the trend was irreversible.

If VB isn't back up this evening, it's probably down for several days and that's how I'll proceed. Next encounter will be run the primitive way, with uploaded maps and coordinates input. *sigh* ;)
[/sblock]

Just a quick note. Reading back, I see you targeted Primera with that area attack of the warcaster which is why he didn't have -5 to hit from the mark. But Primera can be targeted only with melee and ranged attacks.

Is it only imporant for the marker to be in the area or he/it needs to be targeted? Not really important since you only hit renquist, but it could be next time.

I liked VB up to the point where I didn't have normal access then it was PITA. Seems good way to run fights since everybody sees current positions and doesn't have to read on everyone's movement before that. I vote you continue with it. Few days will pass, you'll upload new map and we go on.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
OOC: Well, I figure Primera can be targeted with area attack. It just does nothing (you probably noted I didn't mention any damage). Look at it the other way; if he was immune to melee attacks, you could still take a swing at him. It would be a waste, but you could.

Beside, the text of the spirit companion just says: ''Otherwise, the spirit is unaffected by the attack.'' regarding non melee/ranged attack. There is no phrasing along the lines of 'Can't be targeted' or 'can only be targeted by'.

Concerning VB; I love it too and that's why I always go back to it when it's running. But I know it can go down for a long time, sometime weeks (maintenance, I guess) and so I won't hold my breath. Once it's back up, we'll return, you can be sure of it. With any luck, it'll be back and running before the next combat encounter.

As I said though, you were winning this fight handily. I actually thought this was going to be a challenge! I think the dragons and myconids would have turned out to be a better match up. Since VB isn't back up yet I can only assume it is going down for one of its long spell and so I will move on for the time being.

Last edited:

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Even as they think the paladin is fallen, the goblins are dismayed to see him remain conscious and defiant. Their leader is dead, their sorcerer is relentlessly hounded by Rocco and their front line has collapsed. On the eastern front, things are no better as the dragons furiously dive into enemy lines while the myconids do not yield an inch and are starting to push back.

Exchanging a look, the archers retreats toward the pool and dives. This lead to a rout as the other goblins also choose to flee, some being cut down as soon as they turn their back, other successfully dodging righteous retribution. In moments the room is cleared of enemies and the dragons roar in triumph.

Remove ads