[Adventure] Invasion of the Einherjar (DM: CrimsonFlameWielder, Judge: Covaithe )

Son of Meepo

First Post
When Ursa Minor disappears, Ursa Major wants to lunge at the goliath. Fhangrim pats her on the ears.

"Now now, we'll bring back your little girl in a moment. You just leave him to me.

Fhangrim and Ursa Major walk passed the senseless goliath. Now close enough, the gnoll uses his primal magic to heal Haaku.

"All right, no more laying down, time to get back up and at them!"

Fhangrim taps his staff on the ground, conjuring more stones. One hits the goliath near Noctua, the other impacts the goliath they left behind, felling it. The final stone merely clangs of the orc axe.

[sblock=Actions]Move: Fhangrim to P13, Ursa Major to Q13.
Minor: Healing Word (1d6=2)
Standard: Magic Stone (EGR10, EGR11, ORM) (1d20+4=19, 1d4+4=5, 1d20+4+2=17, 1d4+4=8, 1d20+4=12, 1d4+4=6)[/sblock]

OOC: Haaku spends a healing surge. Is now at 9/30 hp.
Magic Stone hits EGR10 for 5 + 2 = 7 damage. EGR10 is at 32/34 hp.
Magic Stone hits EGR11 for 8 damage. It is dead.
Magic Stone misses ORM (by 1!)

[sblock=Fhangrim's Stats]Fhangrim - Gnoll Sentinel 1 Status: Normal Passive Perception 21, Passive Insight 14 AC 16, Fort 15, Reflex 12, Will 14 HP 28/28, Bloodied 14, Surge Value 7, Surges 2/10 Speed 7, Initiative +2 Action Points: 0, Second Wind [] At-Will Powers: Magic Stones Encounter Powers: Combined Attack [], Ferocious Charge [], Healing Word [x][x] Daily Powers: Summon Fierce Boar [] [/sblock] [sblock=Ursa Major's Stats]Ursa Major - Gaoler Pygmy Owlbear Passive Perception 23, Passive Insight 13 AC 14, Fort 16, Reflex 12, Will 16 HP 9/14, Bloodied 7, Surge Value 3 Speed 6, Initiative +2[/sblock]

WEContact

First Post
Haaku opens his eyes. He spends only a split second staring blankly at the sky, and then he hops to his feet, still trying to shake his disorientation. His neck throbs, he touches it- clotting, good. He can fight. Haaku doesn't take the time to close with the brute who cut him down. Instead, in a flash, he draws his chakram again, and with two quick throws he slices ribbons out of the orc's back.

[sblock=Actions]Move: Stand from prone
Minor: Draw Chatchka
Standard: Twin Strike HIT OM AC 17 (attack bonus is +9 instead of +13, add 4 back via Heroic Effort), HIT OM AC 18
Result: OM takes 10 damage[/sblock]

[sblock=Statblock]Haaku - Male Human Ranger|Fighter 2

Initiative: +4, Passive perception: 20, Passive Insight: 13
AC:19 Fort:17 Ref:17 Will:14
HP: 9/30 Bloodied: 15 Surge value: 7 Surges/day: 1/8 Speed: 6 squares
AP: 0, Second Wind: used, Temporary HP: 0

Melee Basic Attack: +10 vs AC, 1d8+8 (off-hand)
Powers:Twin Strike, Footwork Lure, Hunter's Quarry, Heroic Effort, Sohei Flurry, Off-hand Strike, Invigorating Stride, Jaws of the Wolf[/sblock]

Last edited:

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: That's not a legal charge. You have to move at least 2 squares and each square of movement has to bring you closer to the target.

I was hoping to push ORM towards you, but I missed with magic stone. I think your only attack option is to go ranged or attack EGR10 with a charge.

OOC: What SoM says is true. Through STRICT interpretation of the charge rules, not only do you have to move at least 10 feet (2 squares), but each square must bring you close to the target (aka, the number of squares between it and you must be reduced). The only way to actually accomplish that is to move in a straight line toward your target... my favored interpretation, however, is a little more lenient, and I figure that each square moved must reduce the number of squares away from the target on only one of the two axis, thus you are "closer" to the target. This allows for a slight amount of maneuverability while you get to your target, and keeps a lone badguy who happens to be in your way (or an ally for that matter) from ruining a charge.

In the current case, you didn't have the distance necessary to build up a charge to ORM. Please edit your post [MENTION=69684]WEContact[/MENTION].

Up next: Leather.

On a complete side note (just cause I'm curious...) Do the two of you (@Wife of Meepo and [MENTION=78756]Son of Meepo[/MENTION]) talk to each other outside of the forums about what you guys will do in game? I think that would be really cool to be able to coordinate like that. :)

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: What SoM says is true. Through STRICT interpretation of the charge rules, not only do you have to move at least 10 feet (2 squares), but each square must bring you close to the target (aka, the number of squares between it and you must be reduced). The only way to actually accomplish that is to move in a straight line toward your target... my favored interpretation, however, is a little more lenient, and I figure that each square moved must reduce the number of squares away from the target on only one of the two axis, thus you are "closer" to the target. This allows for a slight amount of maneuverability while you get to your target, and keeps a lone badguy who happens to be in your way (or an ally for that matter) from ruining a charge.

In the current case, you didn't have the distance necessary to build up a charge to ORM. Please edit your post @WEContact .

Up next: Leather.

On a complete side note (just cause I'm curious...) Do the two of you (@Wife of Meepo and @Son of Meepo ) talk to each other outside of the forums about what you guys will do in game? I think that would be really cool to be able to coordinate like that. :)

OOC: Charge was updated in the Rules Compendium. Stright line is no longer strictly necessary.

Yes, we do coordinate. Sometimes I help point out some of the tactical options.

[sblock=Charge]A creature uses the charge action when it wants to dash forward and launch an attack with a single action. Such an attack is sometimes referred to as a charge attack.

Charge a Target
bullet.gif
Action: Standard action. When a creature takes this action, it chooses a target. Figure out how far away the creature is from the target—even counting through squares of blocking terrain—and then follow these steps.
1. Move: The creature moves up to its speed toward the target. Each square of movement must bring the creature closer to the target, and the creature must end the move at least 2 squares away from its starting position.
2. Attack: The creature either makes a melee basic attack against the target or uses bull rush against it. The creature gains a +1 bonus to the attack roll.
3. No Further Actions: The creature can’t take any further actions during this turn, except free actions. A creature’s turn usually ends after it charges. However, it can extend its turn by taking certain free actions.
Some powers allow a creature to use them in place of a melee basic attack when charging. When a creature uses such a power, the creature retains all the normal benefits of a charge and must follow all the same rules. For instance, it still must end the move at least 2 squares away from its starting position, and it still gains the +1 bonus to attack rolls.[/sblock]

WEContact

First Post
OOC: My mistake- I know the charge rules well, but I forgot that moving from K10 to L10 does not constitute moving closer. [MENTION=6684473]CrimsonFlameWielder[/MENTION] do I need to reroll when I make a ranged attack or charge EGR10, or should I use that attack roll?

OOC: @SoM: Yeah, I know that the "straight line" part was taken out... but depending on how one interprets "Each square of movement must bring the creature closer to the target" that could mean that each square of movement needs to reduce the number of squares between you and it. Take the following for instance:

_|A|B|C|D|E
1|_|X|_|_|_
2|_|_|_|_|_
3|_|_|_|_|_
4|_|_|_|_|G

Let's say that creature G wanted to attack X with a charge. G is currently 2 squares away from X in a straight line. Moving from E4 to D4 DOES reduce the number of squares it is away on the letter axis, but it does NOT reduce the number of squares it is away on the number axis, and because of this, it would still require 2 squares of movement in order for G to reach X. Strict interpretation would say that that is, in fact, not any closer. It's like having a piece of string tied to a pencil. If you stretch the string out 2 inches, then move the string to the left or right, but keep your fingers 2 inches away, all you are doing is circling around the pencil, not moving your fingers any closer.

That's why I can see there being two different interpretations, and why I favor the less strict version. If there were an enemy in C2 or D3, then the charge could not happen if going by the more strict interpretation of "closer".

[MENTION=69684]WEContact[/MENTION]: Please use the same attack roll, and note any differences to the total (or if there are none, let me know that too).

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: @SoM: Yeah, I know that the "straight line" part was taken out... but depending on how one interprets "Each square of movement must bring the creature closer to the target" that could mean that each square of movement needs to reduce the number of squares between you and it. Take the following for instance:

_|A|B|C|D|E
1|_|X|_|_|_
2|_|_|_|_|_
3|_|_|_|_|_
4|_|_|_|_|G

Let's say that creature G wanted to attack X with a charge. G is currently 2 squares away from X in a straight line. Moving from E4 to D4 DOES reduce the number of squares it is away on the letter axis, but it does NOT reduce the number of squares it is away on the number axis, and because of this, it would still require 2 squares of movement in order for G to reach X. Strict interpretation would say that that is, in fact, not any closer. It's like having a piece of string tied to a pencil. If you stretch the string out 2 inches, then move the string to the left or right, but keep your fingers 2 inches away, all you are doing is circling around the pencil, not moving your fingers any closer.

That's why I can see there being two different interpretations, and why I favor the less strict version. If there were an enemy in C2 or D3, then the charge could not happen if going by the more strict interpretation of "closer".

OOC: That's exaclty what it means.

I would agree that moving to D4 is NOT any closer and would not be a legal charge to move that way. Distance is easy to figure out in 4e. Take the distance along each axis, the largest one is the total distance away something is.

I would agree in your example that if C2 or D3 are blocked, then there is no legal charge. That is what the Roundabout Charge feat is for.

jbear

First Post
Leather, undaunted by his terrible wounds, draws a hand axe from his belt as he strikes out at the invader's leader with his blade. The orc nearly ducks out of the way but not quickly enough to avoid Leather scoring a glancing blow across the back of its shoulder. Leather finds his counter balance and flings his hand axe towards the remaining goliath.

[sblock=Actions]Minor Action: Draw HandAxe
Standard: Cleave vs ORM
Hit (just): use Deft Hurler to make a RBA with Hand Axe at EGR10 (long range attack -2)
Both creatures are marked
[/sblock]

[sblock=Marcus Leather]
Marcus Leather
Human Fighter (Brawler) 1
Passive Perception/Insight 11
AC:19, Fort:19, Reflex:14, Will:12, Speed:5
HP: 10/31, Bloodied:15, Surge Value:7, Surges left:5/12
Initiative +2
Action Points: 1 (encounter): USED

Conditions:

Powers
MBA: Longsword, +7 vs AC, 1d8+4 damage
MBA: Battle Axe, +6 vs AC, 1d10+4 dmg
RBA: Handaxe, +6 vs AC, 1d6+4 (1/3 used)
Combat Challenge
Cleave, Grappling Strike, Weaponmaster's Strike

Steel Serpent Strike: USED
Inevitable Strike: USED
Second Wind
USED
Comeback Strike: USED

Combat notes:
Deft Hurler Style: Leather can forgo dealing damage to the adjacent enemy to instead make a basic ranged attack with a heavy thrown weapon against one creature other than the target of your cleave. This ranged basic attack does not provoke opportunity attacks.
Brawler Style: Leather can use Grappling Strike for OAtks
[/sblock]

Last edited:

WEContact

First Post
OOC: Finally got my turn updated. Sorry it took so long, my computer kept crashing over and over last night. I think the RAM is going bad. Anyways lemme know if anything is unclear.

Remove ads