• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) M1: Goblin Ears and the MTG (dpdx judging) COMPLETED

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: Male human cleric 1

Manzanita said:
Charlyn stablizes the two dying thugs. This takes some time on this part, as one's bleeding is quite difficult to stop. By the time he is stablized, he is in quite bad shape.

The thugs scowl when questioned. "Let us go, you fools," says one. "It will go better for you that way."
Wearily, Charlarn replies, "Oh well, you had your chance to explain yourselves. We'll see what the watch does to brigands."

He says nothing more until we reach the watch station.
OOC: I'm in sync with Erekose's (Tenebrynn's) timeline now. I guess we can split the gold when we rejoin Venus (Irene).

Manzanita

First Post
City watch

As Telebryn explains the situation to the watch, their prisoners finally start talking. "Hey! We didn't ambush no one! They're tryin' to set us up! Put them in jail! And call our lawyer. We want to see Captain Benjamin!"

Erekose13

Explorer
"Ha no ambush, who would listen to thug like you. And a thief with a lawyer thats a new one. Listen, guardsman, we were ambushed and while not accustomed to your laws here. We brought these brigands in for the proper authorities to deal with. With that we will leave them in your custody and bid you farewell." Tenebrynn says, hoping that things are not as corrupt as their employer had made them out to be.

Manzanita

First Post
The guard listens to Telebryn blankly. Then shouts "Hey, everyone here has been accused of a crime. Everyone stay here until we get this sorted out." He then exits the building, pulls out his whistle, and gives a long blow outside. The other guard approaches the bound thugs. "Captain Benjamin is your lawyer, eh? Is he now. I'll have him summoned."

orsal

LEW Judge
Manzanita said:
The guard listens to Telebryn blankly. Then shouts "Hey, everyone here has been accused of a crime. Everyone stay here until we get this sorted out." He then exits the building, pulls out his whistle, and gives a long blow outside. The other guard approaches the bound thugs. "Captain Benjamin is your lawyer, eh? Is he now. I'll have him summoned."

Nurlan says, "Please excuse our unfamiliarity with local procedures. We are not from this town; we only arrived yesterday. Could you please explain the process for deciding this dispute?"

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: Male human cleric 1

Manzanita said:
The cleric thinks, "This isn't good. Maybe Irene and Jezibel had the right idea. If these thugs have a regular lawyer, they have an advantage." Outwardly, he folds his arms with his shield on his back and his weapon at his belt.

Manzanita

First Post
The older guard shakes his head & sighs. "We'll have a brief hearing now. Everyone will probably be required to stay here in jail until an arbitrator can hear the case. The cases usually go pretty fast when Benjamin in involved." He then rolls his eyes and grimaces.

The other guard returns from outside, and slaps one of your prisoners on the back. "Captain Benjamin, eh? Are you with that merchant house then? The Black Ox?"

A reply comes from the doorway "Yes, they are." A 50ish man, trim, neatly dresssed and hansome walks in, trailed by two other men. One wears leather armor and a long sword, the other, brown robes, belted at the waist. The same man who shouted at you in the ally, then ran away. "And we have two witnesses here, who tell me our men were ambushed and robbed."

orsal

LEW Judge
Manzanita said:
A reply comes from the doorway "Yes, they are." A 50ish man, trim, neatly dresssed and hansome walks in, trailed by two other men. One wears leather armor and a long sword, the other, brown robes, belted at the waist. The same man who shouted at you in the ally, then ran away. "And we have two witnesses here, who tell me our men were ambushed and robbed."

"Good sirs," says Nurlan, addressing the guards, "that is certainly not what happened. We were on our way to breakfast when these five men approahed us. There was a young woman in the alley with us, and they demanded we leave, so that they could deal with the young woman. She protested that they were trying to kidnap her, that she had been the target of previous attempts. We therefore stood by her, although we did not lift our weapons until we were attacked first. Moreover, after we had defeated them -- that man over there fled, but the others were unconscious -- my friend here even treated their wounds. We had confidence in your laws, so we preferred to bring them in here for justice rather than settle our own scores. Have you no shame" (now he's looking at one of the thugs who had been knocked out but whom Charlarn had stabilized) "after my good friend here had treated your own injuries, injuries you would never have suffered were it not for your own unprovoked attack, to bring this slander against us?"

Privately, he's thinking, they're accusing us of robbery... that's what I had feared when Irene insisted on looting the bodies. Maybe we should have protested. I didn't object because we got her to stop arguing about going to the authorities. Maybe we should have been more obstinate...

Erekose13

Explorer
Tenebrynn nods as Nurlan mentions the tending to our enemies wounds as he had thought to mention the same evidence. It sounds as if the corruption in this city may actually be as bad as rumored. Hopefully the law will see things through properly though.

Manzanita

First Post
The older officer rubs his chin. "So. Double accusations. Not the first time this has happened. Oh well. In this case, I'm required to hold all parties until arbitration. Could be a tough fit in the cells."

Captain Benjamin interposes. "Actually, all my clients are locals, and can be vouched for. I will put up bail for them. 20 gps, is it not?"

Remove ads