[Adventure] Marna is Missing (DM: pacdidj, Judge: renau1g)

samursus

Explorer
Ferris glances at Alnar and nods..."I too remember that Dhakanmirr, the Rripangu Elder suggested we stay close to the riverbank..."

Ferris pauses to think.

"I think we are being manipulated by someone....
Who would benefit most from this chain of events?"

Insight=25

[sblock=ooc] I may have worded that statement a bit too directly, I am actually just trying to see if my insight will bring anything else to light....NOT expecting an answer to the mystery :)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
SIR EXSIXTEN STANDS IN THE ROOM, MAKING THOSE DISCUSSING THE MUNDANE, BORING THINGS THAT SEEM TO PREOCCUPY THEMSELVES FEEL SAFE AND SECURE IN DOING SO. OCCASIONALLY THEY SAY AN INTERESTING WORD SUCH AS THIEVES OR WARLOCK THAT GETS THROUGH SIR EXSIXTEN'S INTEREST FILTER, BUT THESE WORDS ARE SADLY FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.

Sir Exsixten stands next to the table, his massive bulk especially noticeable as he stands leaning over the edge of the table talking relatively quietly to himself while the others talk.

THE CITIZENS OF JUSTICE SEEM TO BE LAYING THE GROUNDWORK FOR SOME IMPORTANT CAMPAIGN. SIR EXSIXTEN WILL LET THEM HANDLE THE SMALL, UNHEROIC DETAILS, FOR EXSIXTEN IS A MAN OF ACTION. PERHAPS HE CAN FIND A PRINCESS TO RESCUE AND RIDE OFF INTO THE SUNSET WHILE THE CITIZENS OF JUSTICE FINISH THINGS UP IN THE DISAPPOINTINGLY TINY WARLOCK-LESS WARLOCK TOWER. THERE WILL BE ACTION, THOUGH SIR EXSIXTEN MAY HAVE TO STIR THE LOCALS OUT OF THEIR COMPLACENCY TO FIND IT.

CORRUPTION LURKS EVERYWHERE, NIBBLING ON THE EDGES OF CIVILIZATION LIKE MAGGOTS OF EVIL IN THE EYES-OCKETS OF PEACE. SIR EXSIXTEN PUTS HIS HAND ON HIS WEAPON AND PREPARES TO GO FIND THE CORRUPTION HIDING IN THIS VILLAGE,
Sir Exsixten says, placing his hand on his axe and looking around, squinting at the gnomes and then looking at the door.

pacdidj

First Post
Matjala told us to go that way too.. He is not old though but middle aged... Are you sure he would know about the crocs? Also the mangroves acted strangely on our way here, they tried to block our path...

"Hmm," Fizzenden muses, "He is the leader of the Djaapana clan, correct? They live on the barrier island just off shore. I visit there frequently to collect mother of pearl, and other necessities for my experiments. As I recall they don't tend to get off the island much. I'm not sure Matjala would be familiar with the country up north. He may just have given you directions based on his people's songlines: they're an unusual way of remembering geography, but it seems to work for them. He may or may not know about the river crocodiles, it's hard to say."

Looking at the Warforge Alnar gets an idea. Warforges are made with magic right? I wonder, if we could transfer some magic energy too him, would it be possible to get some of his memory back?

"I'm afraid I've made many attempts to do this. I am somewhat of an accomplished artificer you see, and I wanted to know who created such a marvelous automaton," then as Sir Exsixten's "internal" monologue interrupts him, Fizzenden whispers to the rest of the party, "I also sought to return him to his rightful owners, just to get him out of my hair!"

"But, after numerous attempts to restore his memory sectors, I came to the sad conclusion that the memory loss is permanent. Every time sir knight is defeated in battle and shuts himself down, he effectively 'dies,' and all his memories of his past deeds die with him. When reactivated his is 'reborn' with a blank slate, though albeit with the same propensities for errantry, daring-do, and all all that it seems," says the gnome, eying the warforged bemusedly.

Ferris glances at Alnar and nods..."I too remember that Dhakanmirr, the Rripangu Elder suggested we stay close to the riverbank..."

"He did? Are you sure my son? Do remember exactly what he said?," Hyrellon interjects, clearly startled and troubled by Ferris' recollections.

[sblock=Ferris]You consider the matter deeply for a few moments. It seems clear to you that someone or some group is trying to foment ill-will between the humans, gnomes, and shifters of Kythira. To draw their attention to their struggles amongst one another, and away from goings-on elsewhere on the island. It occurs to you that something may be afoot on the largely-unpopulated north side of the island. You know from your early years on Kythira, that the gnomes and shifters typically keep watch on this wild frontier. But if they are watching each other suspiciously now, who's watching for dangers in the wild north?[/sblock]

samursus

Explorer
Startled out of his reverie and contemplation, Ferris answers Hyrellon, "Hmm... let me try....I think his exact words were..."

"One last word of advice adventurers, if you travel northward keep to the banks of the river as much as possible. The forest is full of things that prey on the unwary, and those who do not know their way here often get lost. Also, stay away from the Shadowrift. Many who cross that thin veil into the gray land never find their way back from the long dream."

After a pause.

"It seems clear to me that someone or some group is trying to foment ill-will between the humans, gnomes, and shifters of Kythira. To draw their attention to their struggles amongst one another, and away from goings-on elsewhere on the island. It occurs to me that something may be afoot on the largely-unpopulated north side of the island. I know from my early years on Kythira, that the gnomes and shifters typically keep watch on this wild frontier. But if they are watching each other suspiciously now, who's watching for dangers in the wild north?"

Last edited:

"Also, if we suspect said elder of foul play, we could do exact opposite and go north away from the river and toward ruins close to the rift. Just to go both ways. But I admit, it is where I want to go, not necessarily good for finding Marna totem."

Luinnar

First Post
I suggest we visit Snarl, see what he says than decide our next course of action says Alnar glancing outside seeing what time of day it is and where Draco went off too.

[sblock=ooc]
What time is it? Maybe we should stay in the village for the night, at least to see if the culprits who are harming them are coming back.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

pacdidj

First Post
Hyrellon listens carefully to Ferris' recollections, then replies, "Well, avoiding the Shadowrift is certainly sound advice. It is a dangerous place even for those who have lived their whole lives on its borders. But, telling keeping to the banks of the river as you head north, seems a deliberate attempt to lead you and your friends into danger. Dhakanmirr is wise, shrewd, and most certainly familiar with all of the local wildlife on this island. I cannot think of a reason he would have counseled both you, and perhaps the Dauntonians thusly except to deliberately put you in harm's way. Though, I have no idea why he would want to do this, when it is his people who asked for your help in the first place."

The elderly cleric sighs, then continues, "If you suspect Dhakanmirr of some wrongdoing you must take great care, my son. The humans will not listen happily to accusations leveled against their leader, true or not. If he is guilty of any part of these heinous acts, you must bring them definitive proof of some sort."

"I cannot counsel you as to the best course of action for seeking such proof. It may be that you will find it in some of the northern ruins or among Snarl's people. Or, it may be that you must return to the human camps, and conduct a covert investigation there."

I know from my early years on Kythira, that the gnomes and shifters typically keep watch on this wild frontier. But if they are watching each other suspiciously now, who's watching for dangers in the wild north?"

"Fizzenden, heed well the words of my student for they are wise!," says Hyrellon, gazing at the gnomish leader with a reproachful glare.

"Yes, you're right my friend. To long we have suspected our neighbors to the east, when it seems the real trouble has been brewing on either side of us to the north and south," says Fizzenden, looking decidedly downcast. Then, following Alnar's gaze he looks up at the window, and gives a start.

"Goodness! Will you look at the time? Well, adventurers it seems to be getting late, and I have a proposal for you. If you'll help me repair the damage to my door, I'll provide you with supper and a place to sleep for the night while you decide on the best course of action. Good people," he says, turning to the assembled gnomes in the great room, "You have nothing to fear from these travelers. You may return to your homes and rest off the days troubles."

The gnomes begin to file out, some of them giving you solemn and respectful nods as they pass by.

Luinnar

First Post
Well, let us get started. I never fixed a door before, but I'm willing to help. says Alnar, attempting to pick the door (or what is left of it) off the ground.

I wonder where Draco has gone off too.
[sblock=ooc]
I would like to ask Draco what he saw in the village. Also we need to plan watch duties to see if we can spot anyone causing trouble at night. (I'm probably getting a head of things though).[/sblock]

pacdidj

First Post
[sblock=ooc]So, we need 2 decisions from everybody:

1) What to do for the evening, watch order, and that sort of thing, Sir Exsixten can always stand watch outside, but he's not necessarily the most perceptive of the bunch.

2) Where to from here? To the shifters, back to the humans, or up north to one of the ruin sites in hopes of finding something amiss.

Feel free to discuss in character, or OOC in sblocks.[/sblock]

Luinnar

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Draco can help watch as well. Scout around maybe. We can take turns watch since nobody needs a full extended rest IIRC. Alnar should do it when some light is out, since he has normal vision (dusk or dawn probably).

I vote Shifters first to get their side of the story. Than we can decide where to go next (ruins would be my second choice).[/sblock]

Remove ads