[Adventure] New Cyre Borderlands (Judge: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luinnar

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Would the -2 to attack from Illusory Ambush stack with the mark?

It will probably be easier for me to hit his will than his reflex with the summons's attack.[/sblock]

KarinsDad

Adventurer
[sblock=ooc]
Would the -2 to attack from Illusory Ambush stack with the mark?

It will probably be easier for me to hit his will than his reflex with the summons's attack.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
Yes, they stack. Course, Grys' mark won't help this next round due to the Dwarf's ability to attack both Grys and someone else.
[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I would think that Grys's mark would help even if the dwarf attacks him and someone else, since the trigger for the mark is making an attack that doesn't include him, not taking a standard action that doesn't include him. It wouldn't trigger on the attack on Grys, but would when he spun around to try and drop Susan on Jarren.[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Since the Scimitars are down, I’m guessing it’s the top of the order again.[/sblock]

The rage within Ryda continues to boil over as the dwarf continues to assault her friends. You should have killed me when you had the chance, now you are just a target. She remarks coldly, firing two more arrows into the dwarf, striking an artery, causing blood to spray from his wounds.

[sblock=Mechanics]Standard: Twinstrike:1d20+11=21 1d12+5=10 1d20+11=31 1d12+5=11 1d6=4 Crit! Bonus damage:2d6=5 Brings total damage to 10+17+4+5= 36 damage!

AC up to 22 due to armor bonus, same yield ground conditions.[/sblock]

evilbob

Explorer
[sblock=attacks and marks]Technically, "an attack" can be an entire standard action. In other words, if he makes "an attack" that attacks two people, that still satisfies the mark.

The word "attack" is used to mean 2 different things here, so it's rather confusing. In this case, a better use of terminology might be: "attack action" and "attack roll." So long as any "attack action" includes Grys, the mark will not impede the dwarf, regardless of the number of "attack rolls" he makes as part of the "attack action".

The best example of this in action is a dragon's breath: it can hit like 5 people, but as long as the guy who marked the dragon is in the area, there is no penalty. Same thing here: if the dwarf had an attack action that allowed him to make 10 attack rolls, even shifting between each one, so long as one of those attack rolls included Grys, he wouldn't take a penalty.[/sblock]
[sblock=ooc]Regardless, I honestly don't care how we run the mark on this guy; it's true that 16 is down a bunch but he still has the highest AC and biggest surge value. I think it's good either way.[/sblock]

KarinsDad

Adventurer
[sblock=ooc]Regardless, I honestly don't care how we run the mark on this guy; it's true that 16 is down a bunch but he still has the highest AC and biggest surge value. I think it's good either way.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
It makes a difference to one PC per round.

The difference between -2 to hit and -6 damage one PC, and -3 to hit is typically 6 less damage per round that the dwarf does (except 1 roll in 20 in which case it is about +3 damage or so). Grys' mark has stopped 6 damage twice so far this encounter IIRC, so that is more or less equivalent to giving a free surge to a PC.

In a round or two, it is going to be -2 to hit and -6 damage one PC and 5 damage some rounds to the Dwarf if the Dwarf attacks Grys.

So, he does less damage if he does not attack Grys, he takes more damage if he does attack Grys. Lose lose.

But, that is not true for this round since I did not have enough actions to totally set it up yet.

The thing is, Susan's mark won't do anything against this Dwarf, not even the -3 (just like Grys' mark doesn't do anything this round). The Dwarf will shift through the party and make sure it attacks Susan and Susan's mark is useless. The Dwarf has an anti-mark multi-foe shift and attack power, it just so happens that Grys has anti-anti-mark abilities. ;)

There are situations where Susan's mark is superior to Grys', last man standing isn't one of them.
[/sblock]

Luinnar

First Post
Mythra sensing danger steps away from his foe. In one gesture he commands the Fire Warrior to come to his protection and summons invisible foes to attack the dwarf. But the spell seems weaker than before and the dwarf easily swats them away.

[sblock=actions]
Move: Shift to L 32
Standard: Illusory Ambush: Miss.
Minor: Fire Warrior move to M 33.

[sblock=stat block]
Mythra Stelwart
Male Eladrin Wizard 4
Medium natural humanoid (Fey)
Initiative +3; Senses Passive Insight 19, Passive Perception 19
HP 31/38hp, Bloodied 19, Surge Value 19, Surges 9/9
AC 17; Fortitude 15, Reflex 16, Will 17
Saving Throws +5 vs Charm Effects
Speed 6
Action Points:0
Second Wind: Not Used

Powers:
At will:
Illusory Ambush
Storm Pillar

Ghost Sound
Light
Mage Hand
Presidigitation

Encounter:
Fey Step
Shield
Grasping Shadows
Shock Beetle Swarm
Tome of Binding

Daily:
Flaming Sphere
Summon Tome

Fire Warrior:
HP 19/19,
AC 20; Fortitude 18, Reflex 17, Will 18
Speed 6 (Hover)
Standard: Melee 1; 1 creature +7 vs Reflex 1d8 + 8 fire damage.
Opportunity Attack: Melee 1; 1 creature +7 vs Reflex 1d8 + 8 fire damage.

[/sblock][/sblock]
[sblock=ooc]
I think invisible castle favors strikers :p

Great job getting the second (?) crit![/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
[sblock=OOC]It was only my first crit, the big damage the round before was just some really good damage rolls on regular hits/quarry. I seem to have streaks, I’ll roll 5 or less a bunch of times in a row, and then I’ll get a hot streak like in my first quest where I’ll crit 3 times in one fight. Rolling twice nearly every attack helps, but it’s still very streaky and kind of frustrating during the <5 times.[/sblock]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads