[Adventure]: Shards of Eldanarth (DM: MadAzolin, Judge: ??)

Neil1889

First Post
"Does this mean that you'll lay your wards around us now, Lady 'A-naai 'Loth?" says Lilli, who is somewhat eager to have a rest of some sort and also finds herself wanting to hear relative silence, in spite of the lurking skeleton.

MadAzolin

First Post
Dryad claps slowly after observing the show, wrinkling her nose at scene of monstrosity exploding and rising skeleton: "True Heroes, aren't we? Just like ones from the Legends of Old! Gruesome in their power and terrible in their fury <laughs>. You have rid this realms from Dragon's child, horror born of its blood at the moment of Dragon's demise and for that I salute you! Rest now and I will prepare the ritual"

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Thank you. Can we get a story? I believe you could be fine teller of stories, what will all the experience with weary travelers. Say about...current ruler of the palace of Stars."

MadAzolin

First Post
Creature observes Martelai for a while: "A fair request, our stinky champion <giggle>. You ask more then I can answer, but let me try and indulge you..."
She sits on rotten stump near the pool of silvery water that seems to have recovered its clarity as soon as monstrosity perished:
"How should I start... Yes, I know... Once upon a time there was The Dragon. There might have been Others before Dragon, but it there were, they are gone and forgotten so long that no memory remains. There are no tales about The Dragon but ones that tell of monster's cruel tyranny, terrible greed and foul temper and these I shall not tell now.
What is important that once upon a time, long ago, She came. Who or what She was is matter of dispute within these lands - some say She was hero of some other Realm, not unlike yourselves, others say She was one of us, given power by Moon and Star... others yet tell She is one of Ancient Ones or one of God-like beings who forsook immortality for love now long gone and buried and some tales even say she was no more then one of The People driven by Fate and born under the right Sign...
It matters not however, for She came and accompanied by Greatest of Her Champions, She challenged The Dragon and The Shard changed under the fury of their conflict and land bled fire and smoke and skies split and the dead rose to fight for The Dragon and the living were buried and Time stood still observing the battle.
And in that Hour of Fate, Dragon bled and its black blood rained upon The Shard and where it fell, it festered and horrors were born and joined their father in battle. But in the end all the terror did not avail, for She struck down The Dragon and cast its broken corpse from the skies and such was its fall that it burrowed deep into the Land where it still festers and rots, hated and forgotten... "

Creature pauses for a while, drawing arcane signs of unknown meaning around her. Runes linger in the air and glow, bathing grove with gentle radiance, driving away shadows. Rotting remains of monstrosity slowly sink into the swamp and fresh breeze replaces stench of decay...

"That is story of Dragon's fall and one I know well, but what followed is less known for The Dragon fell long ago and we died and were born anew many times since then... we died and forgot only to live once more. She reigned from Palace of Stars, magnificent in her beauty as The Dragon was horrible in its terror and men came, champions not unlike yourselves. Some came to woo Her, some to take her, some to ravage, some to unmake her... yet all they tried and all joined The Failed <creature makes unusually cruel smirk> and now they linger, fester and rot never to die, never to rot away, sharing The Dragon's fate."

With weave of her delicate fingers, creature invokes harp-like instrument wrought of pale moonlight and continues her tale followed by tunes of soft, sad, lingering music:

"And Ages came and went away and Summer came and work burned under Fires of the Sun and Winter came when dead walked and living went below and Autumn with emerald rains and winds that change man and beast... And then one day with setting of Hunter's moon, She was gone. Where did She go? Who knows... I most certainly don't and many are songs and tales of her disappearance, one stranger then other, but none in agreement. The Hunters tell she went to join The Great Hunt, to forever Hunt up there <she points at radiant stars>; Hags of the Marsh tell she curst the world, cursed men who came for her and went away to become Nightmare which forever lingers in minds of men, men cruel and greedy; Beasts tell nothing, yet they howl and they hunt and rend and devour in Her name... What do I tell? I know not, She might have got tired of the endless game, She might have been taken by one of men who came and taken far far away, to strange realms which see the day.. yet one thing I know -She no longer holds her court In Palace of Stars and no longer does she govern Eldanarth with her Voice and moves us with her Gaze. The Palace is empty now, save shadows of her handmaids and silence lingers in Halls of the Stars...
That is what bard's tales tell, yet another thing can I tell you - Palace is not truly empty, for The Failed still linger there, holding their silent court amid the great halls and it is told that Lord among the Failed himself linger there, though I have not seen any of them with my own eyes. Know one thing - they will not give you warm welcome <giggles>"

Neurotic

Martelai inclines his head.
"Thank you, fey one. Do you think there is a way to cleanse The Shard? Can it be used to bring The Queen back? Contrary to popular belief...I'm not out to rule the plane...knowledge, yes, power, fine, but ruling...too many fiddly details such as heroes, villains, taxes and worst of them all, lawyers and bureaucrats.

Technically, we fulfilled our task of finding out about the shard, but I don't think those hunters will let us in peace now, will they?"

Voda Vosa

First Post
"It would first handly seem so, but not everything in this realm is what it looks to be. PErhaps they are merely cursed or transformed. commented the mage

MadAzolin

First Post
Dryad pours another cup of water from the well into old stump and chants softly over it, causing water to glow in soft azure radiance. After tracing several strange glyphs in the air which remain there, humming softly, she turns to companions:
"Dear Champion <giggle>. No, I don't think Hunters will just leave you alone, you see... they are quite stubborn when it comes to their hunts, not to mention bad habit of not perceiving your kind as their equal - they see you are you would for example an owlbear - dangerous animal, worthy prey and a nice trophy to be added to collection. Don't blame them for it - they are not evil or bad, tend to be hospitable and nice once you get to know them better, it is simply their nature <smiles>. As for bringing Her back and your rule of this place, well... you see... you are destined to rule here <laughs>. Not necessary you as yourself, any of you will do or any of others that might come from strange realms far away. It is how legends tell and bards sing, this place needs a ruler and it was always ruled by one from strange realms far away. However I guess you don't have to accept it, you see - you can always go and join The Failed <smiles>. I cannot help you much there, perhaps you need to speak to The Failed, but keep in mind they are not much of a speakers. Lord among the Failed might be however, tales tell he is more then The Failed, though less then a man. I could tell you about him if you are keen on listening, though he might tell it better... if he will be keen on talking. But let me delve on these runes for a while, you know... I never really did this, but if bard's tales are to be believed, it should work. And sometimes, being true to The Tale is enough <laughs>."

Creature continues slow walk around the clearing, occasionally stopping to dance and sing for a while, pour water and trace glyphs in the air. She pauses after a while, seemingly tired.
"Are they Undead, The Failed? Not really sure myself, they are less then men however, I can tell you that much. Not all of them are the same and most have kept at least parts of what they once were - 'Champions', much like yourselves. Light and Darkness of Eldanarth are in their blood and flesh, winds of Autumn that change all things... and not for the better. They have tried, they have died and they joined The Failed, so yes... they are not truly alive, not like you are, but Eldanarth has many faces, many... shades of light and darkness that can sustain those who have Failed."

"Looks like Veruzak stuck with a nice piece of work, Martelai. He would probably be at home here, him being eladrin...you said your father is one, would you feel home here? It seems this is a nice realm to rule. Peaceful." deva grinned suddenly
"I almost said it with a straight face. Still, if you cannot refuse the position, lets see what we can do to help you take it. Having a ruler of fey realm as a friend might benefit those who require payment for their services."

Neurotic

"Bah! I never asked for such. Then I get stuck with IAC Bacarte simply because I claimed some property and I'm from there, now this...it's like the universe is conspiring to keep me from deep research into its misteries."

Remove ads