• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] The Cannith Caper (Judge: THB)

CMoss

First Post
The youthful Alex coughs as the others begin smoking, his face turning a bit green as the fumes fill the enclosed room. When the talk turns to leaving, Alex enthusiastically nods. "Yes, let's get to the rail station, or at least out of this room, posthaste." he says, grabbing his light pack and following the others out.

Reklaw

First Post
Rook shoulders his pack and heads out the door, "I'll meet you at the rail station! Just remembered I have to take care of something on my way there."

Stopping at the bar to pick up a few meals Rook leaves the tavern, heading for parts unknown.

Kalidrev

First Post
Vistrathis heads out with Harressh, hoping to discuss some of the more arcane subjects while they make their way to the rail station.

"I have always wondered about the tools of other magic users. Take, for instance, your staff, Harressh. Is your staff an embodiment of your magic and an extension of your being, or is it simply a tool with which you channel and amplify your innate arcane energies? Did you have to study much to be able to accomplish your feats of magic, or did it just 'happen'? My form of magic has required an extensive amount of research and training, but of course it's not just about the magic for me, I also had to know how to wield this blade, which took a not insignificant amount of time in itself."

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Haltor and White-Eye follow the others out. He's content to keep to himself for now, having no interest in maters arcane.

ryryguy

First Post
Vistrathis heads out with Harressh, hoping to discuss some of the more arcane subjects while they make their way to the rail station.

"I have always wondered about the tools of other magic users. Take, for instance, your staff, Harressh. Is your staff an embodiment of your magic and an extension of your being, or is it simply a tool with which you channel and amplify your innate arcane energies? Did you have to study much to be able to accomplish your feats of magic, or did it just 'happen'? My form of magic has required an extensive amount of research and training, but of course it's not just about the magic for me, I also had to know how to wield this blade, which took a not insignificant amount of time in itself."

Harressh sighs, realizing he can't completely avoid talking about his past without insulting his new friend. He nods, but takes a block or two of walking to gather his thoughts.

"Believe it or not," he begins, "I trained in my youth as a warrior. I learned the way of the sword and spear. Of course my people use our breath as a weapon of war, but apart from that, I knew little of magic. But those skills are lost to me now. They vanished, as a result of the same... accident which increased my arcane abilities."

The dragonborn falls silent for another long minute before continuing. "Once acquired, I found myself using these new skills more or less by instinct. But they have improved through practice, and I did eventually receive some more formal training, at the school of magic in Arcanix - have you heard of it? It was there that I received this staff, a gift from my master. I suppose I would call it more a tool than anything else - it is certainly not an 'extension of my being', as you put it." There is a sour note in Harressh's voice at this last, as if he finds the idea slightly distasteful.

"Yes, a tool. And some of my training involved its use, though for the most part, using it is also a matter of instinct, and also the innate power of the item's enchantment itself. Certainly there is not as much technique to it as compared to the advanced arts of the sword. At least none that I have learned so far. But I'm sure there is still much that remains hidden to me."

renau1g

First Post
With a nod to Brews in exchange for his meals to go the group heads out into the rainy Sharn cityscape.

It is quite the distance from Clifftop where you are currently located to Terminus in Lower Tavick's Landing where the House Orien lightning station is located. It is also located close to Wroann's Gate, the location of the Orien trade route, known as the Old Road.

[sblock=ooc]
Where you are at to where the lightning rail gets going is almost opposite ends of the city. How shall you travel? Foot, skycoach, horse rental? [/sblock]

Reklaw

First Post
//Rook is taking care of a quick personal errand, he will meet everyone at the House Orien lightning station, arriving by skycoach.//

[sblock=DM]Rook is just running a message down to his mother, do you want a streetwise check to make sure he gets there safe? He is at home on the route he is going so I'm assuming he'd be fine.[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]What are the prices like for some of the different options? (I guess we have an advance on travel expenses, huh?)[/sblock]

EvolutionKB

First Post
Varak walks next the halfling on his clawfoot, padding along quickly, though quietly through the city streets. "Horses would be nice, but some of us are already mounted," he sends a look over to Haltor and his mount. "Bringing mounts aboard the rails is probably pretty expensive, if we want them, we should probably wait until we get off the railway."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads