[Adventure]: The Missing Professor (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Looking for a Judge)

Luinnar

First Post
GM: Not sure how your bloodied "To hit" bonus translates into extra damage on rain of steel. Also, why did 1d6+4 turn into 1d6+8 on your roll. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I just can't see it.

OOC: +2 to damage from being bloodied from Dragonborn Frenzy feat. I thought it was +2 more damage from Battle Fury Stance, but I think I am wrong since that is only weapon attacks, so it should be 9 damage. 1d6+6 :)

Edit: And slavehunter would take +2 damage from Bravo for rain of steel, so it would be 11 against him.

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante and Virgil move to flank the Ruffian and lunge at him from both sides.

OOC: Turn Summary: Dante has Snarling Wolf Stance active, making an MBA as an Immediate Reactions and shifting 2 away from the first enemy to hit or miss him.
Ruffian takes 22 damage.
Dante is in -U,-4 at 38/67hp, +1 AC/Ref TenT. Virgil in -U,-2 with 5+85/94hp.

[sblock=Actions]Move: Shift to -U,-2, +1 AC/Ref TenT. Virgil moves to -U,-4
Standard: Twin Strike:
*Attack 1: 1d20+16+2(CA)=22 AC vs Ruffian, miss.
*Attack 2: 1d20+16+2(CA)=33 AC vs Ruffian, hit, 2d4+6+2(Bloodied)+1(CA)+1d6(Quarry)=22 damage.
Minor: -[/sblock]

[sblock=Statblocks]Dante, Male Human Ranger 10
Passive Perception:23(25), Passive Insight:18
AC:24, Fort:25, Reflex:24, Will:23 -- Speed:6
HP:38/67, Bloodied:32, Surge Value:17, Surges left:5/6
Initiative +9, Action Points:0
Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Off-Hand Strike, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting, Takedown Strike, Hunter's Thorn Trap, Heroic Effort, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf, Snarling Wolf Stance, Attacks on the Run, Healing Lore
Items: Boots of the Fencing Master, Ruby Scabbard, Vanous' Combined Awareness, Casque of Tactics, Power Jewel
MBA
: +16 vs. AC, 2d4+11 damage (Crit 2d6+19)
RBA: 5/10 +16 vs. AC, 2d4+9 damage(Crit 2d6+17)
Notes: *OA on any enemy melee attacking Virgil if enemy is in reach 2 of Dante or Virgil adjacent to Dante *+1 damage with CA *+2 damage vs bloodied *+1 AC/Ref on shift *Draw spiked chain as part of attack *First enemy hitting Dante takes 5 ongoing damage(save ends) *Gain 5 THP on AP *Virgil gains 5 THP on Second Wind *+1 defenses bloodied

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 10
Passive Perception:16, Passive Insight:16
AC:24, Fort:22, Reflex:22, Will:20 -- Speed:6
HP:5+85/94, Bloodied:47, Surge Value:23(28), Surges left:2/2
MBA: +14(+16 if OA) vs. AC, 1d8+4 damage.
Note: Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.[/sblock]

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
GM: @Iron Sky : Your math would be right, except that he started his turn with 53hp (-7 from Draglin's RoS). Soooo.
53-11=42 (Max's turn)
42-18=24 (Draglin's granted attack)
24-20 (Draglin's turn)=4

Now, applying Draglin's 11 RoS damage, the slavehunter would be at -7 by the beginning of his next turn.

Thus, if you would like to retcon your actions and apply dante's rolls to a different target, feel free.

*EDIT*: If I were you, I would attack the Ruffian. Since Draglin pulled Slavehunter to -R,-1, your spiked chain must be used as a heavy thrown weapon which is +14 instead of +16, which doesn't matter, 28 still hits, but it grants the Ruffian adjacent to you an OA.

If you attack the Ruffian, you are flanking with Virgil, and thus have CA for a melee attack.

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
GM: @Iron Sky : Your math would be right, except that he started his turn with 53hp (-7 from Draglin's RoS). Soooo.
53-11=42 (Max's turn)
42-18=24 (Draglin's granted attack)
24-20 (Draglin's turn)=4

Now, applying Draglin's 11 RoS damage, the slavehunter would be at -7 by the beginning of his next turn.

Thus, if you would like to retcon your actions and apply dante's rolls to a different target, feel free.

*EDIT*: If I were you, I would attack the Ruffian. Since Draglin pulled Slavehunter to -R,-1, your spiked chain must be used as a heavy thrown weapon which is +14 instead of +16, which doesn't matter, 28 still hits, but it grants the Ruffian adjacent to you an OA.

If you attack the Ruffian, you are flanking with Virgil, and thus have CA for a melee attack.

OOC: Ruffian it is then(edited above).

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
The last of the thugs swings his mace at Dante, but manages only to make a dent in the floor as the ranger steps out of the way. Dante, himself, counters with his chains, but they are too slow. The goon rolls out of the way just as Dante's blades cut into the floorboards.

Looking over his shoulder, the thug realizes that he is the only one left. Shugging, he heaves the mechanical device into the air, "Catch!"

The device makes a ticking sound as it follows its vertical trajectory and falls back to the floor. Before it hits, however, the ruffian decides to make his exit. He bounds over the bar and into the kitchen. Despite a nasty, parting cut made by Virgil, the goon manages to staunch his bleeding long enough that he leaves no trail to follow.

The ticking device lands next to Virgil and explodes, dealing him a nasty gash, but the lizard is quick to shrug it off.

The bartender, wishing to be of service, materializes from his crouch behind the bar, "'E didn' take the stairs up. 'E mus' be 'eaded for the cellah. It's th'onlih way out from thah."

[sblock=Auntie Mab's Actions]Move: Stand
Standard: Gloaming Cut
Target: Human Ruffian
Attack: 1d20+16+2(Hidden)=36 vs. AC for 1d4+2+2d8(SA)=15
Granted Shift: to -W,-8

Stealth: (No roll necessary for ruffian. She's hidden)

[/sblock][sblock=Enemy Actions]Human Ruffian 1:
Minor: Arm Level 14 Clockwork Bomb to detonate at the end of his turn

Standard: Mace
Target: Dante
Attack: 1d20+14=19 vs. AC Miss

Dante Snarling Wolf Stance Attack: 1d20+16+2(Flanking)=22 vs. AC Miss
Granted Snarling Wolf Stance Shift: to -S,0

Move: Run past -AA,-6 and out of sight

Virgil OA: 1d20+14=26 vs. AC for 1d8+4=5 damage

Stealth=1d20+14=25 Ruffian 1 is Hidden

Bomb explodes:
Target 1: Virgil
Attack 1: 1d20+17=27 vs. Reflex Hit
Damage: 3d10=14 Fire damage

(I rolled for Dante too, but he shifted out of range. The roll missed anyway).

[/sblock]
GM: Invisible Castle was down when I rolled. All results can be found at Dice Room in a room called "The Missing Professor"
[sblock=status]
Gloom -12/81HP 11/11HS 0AP Unconscious Dying
Draglin 32/74HP 5/9HS Bloodied 1AP, Rain of Steel (1d6+4 damage to enemies starting turns adjacent to Draglin, rolled during Draglin's turn)
Dante 38/67HP 5/6HS 0AP
Virgil 76/94 2/2HS
Auntie Mab 47/60HP 7/7HS 0AP
Max 45/67HP 8/8HS 1AP

Human Ruffian 1 ? 4/96HP Bloodied Dazzling Strike Hidden
Human Slavehunter -S,-1 -7/103HP Dead
Human Ruffian 4 -T,-3 0/96HP Dead
Human Knife Fighter -V,-4 -7/214HP Dead

Human Blademaster 2 -S,0 15/94HP Dead
Human Ruffian 3 -U,-5 -18/96HP Dead
Human Blademaster 1 -12/94HP
Dead
Human Ruffian -22/96HP Dead

[/sblock]
GM: No map is necessary at this point
[sblock=Terrain: Please Read][sblock=Furniture]

• This will be treated as difficult terrain, but Creatures that are hit while standing in a square that is more than 1/4 occupied by a piece of furniture are subject to a DC 18 athletics check. Failure means that the creature falls prone in a random square adjacent to the piece of furniture and takes 1d6 points of damage.
  • Dropping (or falling) prone behind furniture gives you total concealment and superior cover against any creature on the opposite side of the furniture. From any angle, it provides normal cover, but no concealment. From the same side, you are simply prone.
  • Chairs and stools can be moved 1 square as a minor action, but tables and benches require a standard action. Moving anything further than one square expends a standard action and a move action. (I'm going to assume that everyone here is strong enough to move a table so no strength check ;)).
  • Chairs, stools, food, plates, cutlery, and mugs can be used as improvised weapons requiring a minor action to pick them up.
[/sblock][sblock=The Bar]More accurately, squares -v,-10 through -V,-6 and -W,-6 through -Z,-6.

• Hurdling the bar takes a 2 square jump check (Athletics DC 20), but, if successful, it allows a creature to continue its move without counting the square hurdled.
  • Failure means that you fall prone on top of the bar taking 1d6 points of damage (see Furniture).
  • Creatures can climb over the bar in 2 squares of movement (4 if you count the bar stools. Remember that bar stools are difficult terrain and are not included in this cost).
[/sblock][sblock=Wall Torches]

• These can be used as improvised weapons.
  • To remove a torch requires a minor action.
  • Hitting with a torch does 1d4 fire damage.
  • If a torch is used as a ranged weapon, it can possibly set fire to something. On a roll of 1 with a d6, the target square becomes a zone in which any creature passing through the zone takes 1d4 fire damage. Every round thereafter, a 1d4 is rolled. On a roll of 1, the zone grows to an adjacent square.
[/sblock][sblock=Bystanders]

• Bystanders are the ones without illuminated bases.
  • Bystanders are unarmed, and were either curious as to the outcome of the fight, but unwilling to engage, or they were trapped in the bar before they could get out,...or they are asleep in a drunken stupor, unaware of what is happening.
  • For every bystander hit (whether you do it or not), the party loses 100XP (after doubling) from the encounter total.
  • For every bystander killed (whether you do it or not), the party loses an additional 400XP(after doubling) from the encounter total.
[/sblock][sblock=Kitchen]

• The kitchen is behind a bar with a stove/oven visible and stairway leading up (Remember you're looking for a cellar). The oven is hot. Being pushed or slid into it deals you 1d6 damage.
  • The rest of the kitchen is not yet viewable from your vantagepoint.
[/sblock][sblock=Door to the Northwest]

• You are, as of yet, uncertain where this door leads.
  • Breakdown requires a DC 20 strength check.
  • Picking requires a DC 20 Thievery check.
  • Opening (or trying it) requires a minor action.
[/sblock][sblock=Stairway to the Southwest]This stairway leads up. (Remember you're looking for a cellar).[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Enemy Stats][sblock=Human Ruffian]

HumanRuffian.png

[/sblock][/sblock]
GM: Choices:

Pursue the Ruffian
  • Question the bartender further
  • Pursue the Ruffian
  • Take a short rest and investigate the cellar at a slower pace (the risk here is that the Ruffian could have time to find more cronies, and come back).
Interesting point (In case you forgot): The slave hunter, the blademasters and the thug that escaped all had a shiny, gray, leather insignia sown onto their tunics that depicted dragon. [sblock=Insight DC 18]The leather of the insignia looked alot like the leather that made up Lord Astrix's outfit[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Someone provide back up for him! (referring to Draglin's pursuit of the thug) I've got to revive Gloom!

Max rushes over to the fallen paladin and applies first aid to his wounds, successfully stopping the bleeding of the most serious wounds. He's stabilized for now. I have to rest a bit before I can heal him to the point that he can regain consciousness, unless someone has a healing potion? Dammit! I knew I forgot something when I got new supplies back in Daunton!

heal check: 1d20+6 = 24 :)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
While Max attends to his fallen friend, Draglin heads, full steam, to the kitchen, nearly running Mab down as he does.

They turn the corner and find the cooking staff hiding behind butcher tables and stoves looking nervously toward the southeast corner of the kitchen where a door stands open, and still swinging a little bit.

Mab stoops down to catch the attention of a plump, curly-haired headed lady and whispers, "Which way did he go dearie?"

She rolls her eyes in the direction of the door as if to indicate that the thug went through.

Beyond the door a stairway leads downward, supposedly to the cellar.

Dante enters the kitchen immediately after.
GM: Let me know if the party is going to wait for Dimsdale and Gloom.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases