[Adventure] Trouble in Moonwatch (Judge: THB) - Part II

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Feall can't help but admire the Tiefling's ability to conceal himself and move about. "Nice trick yourself," he says - not quite under his breath - as he sways with the pain of the blade and poison.

But two can play at that game. In the next instant the Drow fades to insubstantiality. His shadowy form takes a quick step and leaps up onto a nearby boulder, where he disappears from view.

[sblock=Actions]Takes 5 Ongoing Damage from Poison (see Shade Form below)

Minor: Shade Form (Immediate Interrupt on taking Poison Damage - Damage is only 5 rather than 10)
Move: Move to K14, Hide, then to L15.
Athletics Check (1d20+2=19) for first 'Jump'
Stealth (1d20+4=16)
Athletics (2) (1d20+2=18) for second 'Jump'
Standard: Ready Nightmare Shades for Tiefling's re-appearance.

Save vs. Poison (as previously posted, now in correct position): 1[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:
[U]Combat[/U]
 AC: 21     F: 14     R: 18     W: 18     HP: 27/37

[U]Senses[/U]
Passive Insght: 12            Passive Prcptn: 14

[U]Attacks[/U]
Falchion                Repeating Hand Crossbow
Increment: Melee        Increment: 10/20
    Melee: +7               Melee: NA
   Ranged: NA              Ranged: +11
   Damage: 2d4+2           Damage: 1d8+7
                   Firestorm Bolt: 2
                      Spider Bolt: 4

[U]Powers[/U]
[COLOR="Green"]Assassin's Shroud[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Green"]Shadow Step[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Green"]Executioner's Noose[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Green"]Inescapable Blade[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Silver"]Second Wind[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Silver"]Cloud of Darkness[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Silver"]Darkfire[/COLOR]
[s][COLOR="Silver"]Shade Form[/COLOR][/s]
[s][COLOR="Silver"]Inescapable Shadow[/COLOR][/s]
[COLOR="Silver"]Nightmare Shades[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Gold"]Skald's Leather Armor[/COLOR]
[s][COLOR="Gold"]Shadow Soul[/COLOR][/s]
[s][COLOR="Gold"]Targeted for Death[/COLOR][/s]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Mowgli]
You can't take immediate actions on your turn, but if you want we can retcon your interrupt to when the tiefling first hit you (same effect, but you'll also take only half damage from the initial attack).

Note: This is why readying an action is the best way to attack a dracolich, because they have an absolutely annoying immediate action [/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=Mowgli]
You can't take immediate actions on your turn, but if you want we can retcon your interrupt to when the tiefling first hit you (same effect, but you'll also take only half damage from the initial attack).

Note: This is why readying an action is the best way to attack a dracolich, because they have an absolutely annoying immediate action [/sblock]

[sblock=r1g]I'm perfectly fine retconning the Immediate Interrupt - it'll save Feall another 4 points of damage.

However, here's my thinking about this particular situation:

Shade Form = Insubstantial (½ Damage, including Ongoing).
Assassin's Escape Feat = Immediate Interrupt whenever he takes damage.

If he takes ongoing damage at the beginning of his turn, and the feat allows the immediate interrupt whenever he takes damage, how can he not use it at the beginning of his turn?[/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
River light up his sunrod before moving aside and planting his battle standard.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Minor: Light up the sunrod
Move:Shift to O14
Standard: Plant Standard of Healing at N13
[/SBLOCK]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Immediate Actions]
Ongoing damage looks like a corner case for this feat as the wording's a bit vague, but because its an Immediate action, you don't have that type of action available on your own turn (which at the start of it triggers the ongoing damage). I've bolded the relevant section.

Here's from the compendium:

Immediate Action

Trigger: Each immediate action—usually a power—defines its specific trigger. The one type of immediate action that every combatant can take is a readied action.

Once per Round: You can take only one immediate action per round, either an immediate interrupt or an immediate reaction. If you take an immediate action, you can’t take another one until the start of your next turn, but you can’t take an immediate action on your own turn.

Interrupt: An immediate interrupt lets you jump in when a certain trigger condition arises, acting before the trigger resolves. If an interrupt invalidates a triggering action, that action is lost. For example, an enemy makes a melee attack against you, but you use a power that lets you shift away as an immediate interrupt. If your enemy can no longer reach you, the enemy’s attack action is lost.

Reaction: An immediate reaction lets you act in response to a trigger. The triggering action, event, or condition occurs and is completely resolved before you take your reaction, except that you can interrupt a creature’s movement. If a creature triggers your immediate reaction while moving (by coming into range, for example), you take your action before the creature finishes moving but after it has moved at least 1 square.
[/sblock]

KarinsDad

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]
renau1g is correct on this. Immediate actions only occur outside your turn.

There are some monsters with immediate action powers that would be great for helping to avoid PC opportunity attacks, but they cannot use them on their turn to do this which makes those powers real lame. I tend to change those powers from immediate actions to free actions, otherwise, the monster can hardly ever use the power.
[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=OOC]In thinking about it, it turns out it really makes no difference:

For some reason I had it in my mind that it was the feat that granted the Shade Form power. In fact, the feat only expands on the power - allowing its use as an immediate interrupt. He can use Shade Form as a 'regular' minor action whenever he has a turn.

In this case, he'll still use it as an immediate interrupt when the Tiefling stabs him.[/sblock]

EvolutionKB

First Post
Valahad waits for River to light the sunrod, then he peers around, trying to get ready for the tiefling to reappear.

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: Perception check to spot tiefling: perception on tiefling (1d20+8=25)
Move: If successful, move closer to tiefling and avoiding terrain that would impede a charge
Standard: ready a virtuous strike charge when tiefling appears
End of turn save: save vs poison (1d20=14)Success

If move and minor aren't needed because the tiefling attacks me, let me know and I'll post different actions[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
Passive Perception: 17 Passive Insight: 28
HP: 33/63 Surge: 10/11(15)
AC: 24 F: 16 R: 17 W: 19
AP: 1
Valorous Strike
Enfeebling Strike
Ardent Strike****
Valorous Smite
Righteous Smite
Oath of Enmity
Divine Mettle
Bastion of Mental Clarity
Call of Challenge
Acidic Longsword
Majestic Halo
Name of Might
Wrath of the Gods
Dwarven Plate
Acidic Longsword
Githyanki Silver Longsword
[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Ok, so I'm trying to resolve the round, but I'm trying to figure out hte readied action stuff. So you've all readied actions to when the Tiefling appears (which will trigger when/if he attacks), so they are immediate reactions. Then the below confuses me.

So the tiefling goes, all the readied actions trigger, then its your turn right?

Reset Initiative: After you resolve your readied action, move your place in the initiative order to directly before the creature or the event that triggered your readied action. [/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]Sounds exactly like that.

1) Tieflings starts his action.
2) If the tiefling reappear: As an immediat reaction, every ready action are done.
3) Everyone who had readied see there initiative gone just before the Tiefling
4) The Tiefling complete the action he hasn't done for his actual turn.[/SBLOCK]

Remove ads