• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Adventurers Aboard The Snapdragon: The Search for the Whispering Woodwind

Ziona

First Post
Black Bard said:
The prelude so far was great, but I must confess I'm kinda curious about those halflings...

And good luck, Ziona!!:D

Thank you!

As far as the halflings go, I've been waiting on some backstory from the brothers, but they haven't supplied me with anything yet.

So how 'bout it, boys? Email me! ;)

EDIT: Got the info...wrote more prologue...here it comes!

Last edited:

Ziona

First Post
Stout of Heart

Lorna Bramblebucket Stoutheart made her way out of the Temple of Yondalla, smiling all the way back to her home where her twelve children were, no doubt, causing a ruckus. She had left her husband Sully with them, but she knew they would be running amuck under his supervision by now. However, she also knew that her business at the church was too important to risk.

Her smile widened as she thought of her children. Most of them were no longer younglings, yet she still felt as though they needed to be looked after, which was why her visit to the temple had to be done.

Two of her boys, Cecil and Flick, were devout followers of Yondalla, and sought to spread the word of her wonder and joy throughout the land. Lorna knew the church would soon send the cleric and paladin on their first mission, and she wanted to be sure her boys would not get into trouble. She made certain that the mission her boys were sent on would show their worth, but would keep them safe as well.

She had stopped by the market and grabbed a few ingredients she would need for supper, then listened at the front door of her home, where she could hear the chaos erupting within. Their home, nestled among the other halfling homes near the wood of Pinevale, was completed by the bustling noise of family. It broke her heart to think two of her children might be leaving soon. She sighed quietly, then, driving the thought from her mind, opened the door and entered the chaos. Her smile returned.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A few days later, Cecil and Flick returned home after being summoned by the temple. Sully and Lorna knew what news they would be bringing back with them, but they tried to act surprised.

“Mother! Father! We have wonderful news!” shouted Cecil.

“The Temple of Yondalla is sending us on a holy quest!” said Flick, puffing out his chest with importance.

“Is that so?” said Sully raising an eyebrow.

“What sort of quest?” asked Lorna.

“They have asked us to investigate a mystery!” said Cecil with excitement.

“Yes, a mystery involving a ship…a famous ship…” said Flick dramatically. “A ship known as The Sea Maiden!

“Oh my,” breathed their mother, feigning worry.

“The Sea Maiden? Why, that’s a very dangerous ghost ship,” said Sully. “Do you think you’ll be able to handle this mission, boys?”

“Oh, absolutely, father!”

“The Sea Maiden disappeared ages ago after being cursed,” said Sully darkly. “They say that she surfaces every thirty years to capture another captain and crew. Dontcha think that sounds a little scary?”

The boys looked plain-faced for a moment, then Cecil let out a nervous giggle, which sent Flick into hysterical laughter. Sully and Lorna giggled with their boys, knowing that the story of The Sea Maiden was just that…a story. It was a well known folktale that was told to the children in the area to keep them from climbing aboard the ships and causing mischief. After several episodes of children being taken out to sea, the story was invented and helped prevent the kids in the area from playing hide-and-seek on the ships. Of course, there were sailors who insisted The Sea Maiden was responsible for the ships that went missing from time to time, but as everyone knows, sailors are superstitious folk.

After a few moments, the laughter died down, and the halflings caught their breath.

“We are the Brother’s Stoutheart, worshippers of Yondalla. We will smite the evil aboard The Sea Maiden and solve the mystery of the cursed ship.” Flick announced.

“Well, if we know the ship is evil, brother, then how is that a mystery?” asked Cecil with concern.

“You see, it’s a mystery because…well, because it only surfaces every few decades, and…well it’s a mystery because the temple said so!”

“Have you found a suitable ship, lads?”

“Not yet, father. But the temple supplied us with gold to find a vessel for our mission, which is what Flick and I plan to do right now.”

“Right now?” asked their mother sadly. “But I was going to make you some corn rolls to celebrate…surely you’d rather wait and celebrate your good news with your brothers and sisters.”

The brothers looked at each other and grinned. Lorna knew her boys couldn’t resist corn rolls.

“Of course we can wait and celebrate with everyone,” said Cecil.

“We’ll get our things together and say our goodbyes to everyone, then we’ll head down to the docks tonight…after we eat!” smiled Flick.

“Go on and get your things together,” said Sully.

Lorna watched them run off to their rooms and sighed.

“It will be okay,” said Sully. “They’ll be back in a few weeks, so bored from their ‘adventure’ that they will probably never think of leaving Pinevale again.”

“We shall see,” said Lorna. “We shall see.”

The Adventure Continues…

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

Oh my goodness. Its Howdy Doody and Howdy Dandy, the red heading halfling brothers out to do good and wreak havoc.

This ought to be very amusing. I can't wait to see how the halfling brothers acquit themselves in combat.

Ziona

First Post
Game night tonight!

My apologies for not being able to update the story as much as I'd like to. We're currently moving from our apartment into our house, so packing and moving has become the priority. The real bummer is that we were told that there may be a delay in getting our internet access (as well as cable tv) into our home because they have to wait for a thaw. (I'm so sick of Winter & snow & ice...) :(

At any rate, I will do my best to update the story as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience, and thanks for reading! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads