D&D 5E Adventures in Rokugan Arrives August 5th

Adventures in Rokugan is Edge Studios' official 5E version of Legend of the Five Rings, announced last year. Legend of the Five Rings is an East Asian inspired setting which goes all the way back to the 1990s, and was purchased by Fantasy Flight Games in 2018, before being moved over to FFG's sister company, Edge Studios in 2020 (which has taken over all the TTRPG operations from FFG...

Adventures in Rokugan is Edge Studios' official 5E version of Legend of the Five Rings, announced last year. Legend of the Five Rings is an East Asian inspired setting which goes all the way back to the 1990s, and was purchased by Fantasy Flight Games in 2018, before being moved over to FFG's sister company, Edge Studios in 2020 (which has taken over all the TTRPG operations from FFG, including Star Wars).

The 5E version includes new classes -- Shinobi, Pilgrim, Courtier, Ritualist, Bushi, Duelist, Acolyte -- and various new shapeshifting animal species.

It's coming out on August 5th and will cost $49.99.

Adventures in Rokugan brings the famous setting of Legend of the Five Rings to the ever-popular ruleset of the 5th Edition SRD. Players can explore this rich setting in a whole new light, and the familiar rules promise to engage an entirely new audience of roleplaying fans. Alongside a new focus on roleplaying activities such as dungeon delving and monster hunting, Adventures in Rokugan promises to provide something for all fans of Rokugan.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Are you saying if I redownload the pdf I purchased it will have the errata in it?

Cause all I see is this in my pdf (presumably if I owned the book) and nothing stating that errata has been applied.

Clipboard01Free.png

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Oh I see, sorry. Yeah the code was in the physical book I'd purchased. You should be able to redownload the pdf and get the updated version.

Weiley31

Legend
I just like giving them cantrips like Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade so that way Ritualists get to do SOMETHING if they are outta their points.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
That reminds me of my 1e Fire Shugenja who went into melee with Katana of Fire and did more damage than the Bushi, lol.

Sorry for this little necromancy but I have just bought this morning and I would like to tell my opinion.

The PC species and races can be relatively easy to be translated into other settings, but the classes are a totally different thing. This Rokugan hasn't be designed to play with the standards classes from the player handbook, and these classes haven't been designed to can be used in other settings.

There are spellcasters, but without the known Vacian system. Here they don't follow the 5ed pyholosophy of easy to be understood by new players.

I await the translation of the Tomb of Iuchuban, but I can't understand how the bloodspeaker class, so linked to the Taint, could be played with the rest of honorable PCs.

My idea is to retcon some ideas, for example to add the Owl clan, linked to the no-humans, and the spider clan, created secretly by Fu-Leng, but now loyal to the empire..(at least oficially). Also I wan to add the "PC species" from Kara-Tur (korokoburu and spiritfolk) and a neighbour region inspired in Vietnam, but also Philipines for the age of Spanish empire. (Do you know the battle of Cagayan?). And I would add dragoborns, but these would be solar and moon/phase dragonborns. Yes, my plan is not to respect loyaly the original lore.

Voadam

Legend
Sorry for this little necromancy but I have just bought this morning and I would like to tell my opinion.

The PC species and races can be relatively easy to be translated into other settings, but the classes are a totally different thing. This Rokugan hasn't be designed to play with the standards classes from the player handbook, and these classes haven't been designed to can be used in other settings.

There are spellcasters, but without the known Vacian system. Here they don't follow the 5ed pyholosophy of easy to be understood by new players.

I await the translation of the Tomb of Iuchuban, but I can't understand how the bloodspeaker class, so linked to the Taint, could be played with the rest of honorable PCs.

My idea is to retcon some ideas, for example to add the Owl clan, linked to the no-humans, and the spider clan, created secretly by Fu-Leng, but now loyal to the empire..(at least oficially). Also I wan to add the "PC species" from Kara-Tur (korokoburu and spiritfolk) and a neighbour region inspired in Vietnam, but also Philipines for the age of Spanish empire. (Do you know the battle of Cagayan?). And I would add dragoborns, but these would be solar and moon/phase dragonborns. Yes, my plan is not to respect loyaly the original lore.

I have seen people variously interpret the Mantis clan as either Okinawan or Filipino inspired/flavor so you could look to their archipelago to start for Philippine type stuff.

I had forgotten to say it, but here in AiR there aren't rules about the taint, when in the original RPG was a very important part.

Can anybody tell me about the bloodspeaker class from "Tomb of Iuchiban"? In my game this is not only a dangerous dungeon but practically a demiplane, something like the "backrooms" of Rokugan. Then this could be found in different places.

Some little changes in the cosmology:
Toshigoku, the realm of slaughter is not only a punishment zone but also it works as a "cosmic firewall". There the souls keep their memories and they could leave the realm when they wanted, but the irony is they don't want, because they are too busy fighting for the power. It is something like a battle royal videogame.
Gaki-do: the realm of hunger is not always so dessert, but there are some zones like little oases where crops are possible. Where is the trick? Some souls are reincarnated with plant traits, and they are the preys of the hungry gaki. Congratulations, your afterlife is a zombie apocalypse.
The "Shadowlands" were "cleaned" in the material plane, but it still exits as a parallel land, with (secret) planar gates in all the continent. It is a dangerous land, but most of time there is a relative peace, because the "mortal" inhabitants need a lot of time to recover from the wear and tear of war. The nezumi have rebuilt their home there again.

There are also other "kami" of children by Amaretasus and Onnotangu, among these the founders of the clan Mantis, Owl and Spider.

The Ivory Kingdoms survived the destroyer war. The fact is there were sentient constructs fighting in both factions.

The sailors of the mantis clan explored the ocean and they found new islands, but also the Castillan empire arrived before (and intervened in a civil war). This is the new ruler and they have started a new age of radical changes, but they aren't worse than the previous kings, and they would rather the marriage alliances than the conquest war. I suggest the name "Baratian" empire. Rokugans feel a strange love-hate feeling towards the Baratians, because their honor code may be radically different. Baratian History can be useful to learn important lessons about the true prize of dishonor, but also the great differences between prestige and honesty. No-humans are wellcome in the Baratian domains if they share the same monotheist religion by the Baratians (the devotions to the saints and angels is a different thing). Oficially Baratians and Rokugan empire are allies thanks several arranged marriages, but both sides don't end to trust each other.

The relation among Baratians and Merenae is very complicated. Oficially they aren't enemies, or at least not after the plague.

Yún Fēng Guó is secretly ruled by the lungs (imperial dragons who work for the Heavenly bureaucracy) and now they are too busy stopping a planar invasion by the formians (antropomorphic ants), who also use shapesifter infiltrators(werevernims).

Some solar and moon dragons are "infiltrated" among the nagas and other no-human groups. Their origin is in "spirit sparks" from Amaretasus and Onnotangu. There are also solar and moon dragoborns, but these most of times are ordinary humans who mutated by different causes.

There are also "kijin", blooddrinker vampires with their secret agendas, and they can infiltrate among the humans (but when they tried it in the Baratians domains they were discovered and hunted very soon. This is one of the main reasons because Rokugan accepted alliance with Baratians).

MGibster

Legend
I had forgotten to say it, but here in AiR there aren't rules about the taint, when in the original RPG was a very important part.
The word taint hasn't aged very well. The last time I ran L5R, whenever we talked about "the taint" a few of my players would bust out with a case of the giggles.

Can anybody tell me about the bloodspeaker class from "Tomb of Iuchiban"? In my game this is not only a dangerous dungeon but practically a demiplane, something like the "backrooms" of Rokugan. Then this could be found in different places.
I don't own the new Iuchiban book but I do own the original boxed set dungeon. It was very surprising to see Bloodspeaker as playable because in the past they were the worst of the worst. How do you have one in a campaign without the other players killing that character?

Remove ads

Remove ads