D&D 5E Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG set Planeswalkers confirmed.

"This multiverse is without limitation, and you can go anywhere you can conceive of...except Waterdeep."
Do you really let your D&D players planeshift onto the USS Enterprise?

*Edit because that sounds confrontational, and I try not to sound confrontational. Maybe you do really play in one huge chaosmos, and if that's fun for you, then more power to you.

darjr

I crit!
I get it. I’m maybe slow on the take...

but this set is to mix in more D&D into magic generally. Because Magic and D&D are going to be a cross pollinated thing for the future.

Why not...? Nobody could stop us.
In the '90s, there were Star Trek / X-Men crossover comics and a novel. I confess I never managed to be much of a fan of either the X-Men or Star Trek—but if I had been a fan of either or even of both, I would have HATED those crossovers.

But I guess someone must have loved them. Maybe it was your D&D group?

I prefer there to be some uncrossable boundaries—or rather, boundaries that should be crossed only with great care, and if you can't cross them with that much care then it's best not to cross them. I loved the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics, but I don't want D&D to work that way.

And not all "inclusive" multiverses are created equal. Here's a line from that Ixalan appendix on color mana in D&D: "Color is a fundamental organizing principle of the Multiverse, closely linked with everything from physical geography to human personality." If that's not true of the Multiverse (in its entirety, no exceptions), then you're not playing in the MTG Multiverse. And if it is true of the Multiverse, then you're not playing in the D&D Multiverse.

It's clear to me that WotC knows that fully merging the two IPs' lore would alienate a certain number of fans on both sides. Obviously, they can make some money by doing so, too—probably much more than whatever they might lose by alienating fans who have an investment in the existing lore. WotC has announced that they're considering doing the lore-merger. Part of the motive for the most recent D&D survey, I believe, is to gauge how receptive D&D players would be to that possibility.

The fact that when I entered my age, that survey abruptly ended (rather than continuing on to the final section, which was apparently aimed only at younger players) probably provides me with all the tea leaves I really need to read. Edit: Apparently age may not be the reason the survey ended early for me and others.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases