D&D 5E Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG set Planeswalkers confirmed.

I think barring a massive unseen backlash not only will AFR sell well, maybe even out selling any other Summer set or any other set period, but that the merging is going to be ineviblitable at that point, and that once they have the idea they like its going to be a huge event, with D&D adventure tie ins and a whole block devoted to it. Maybe in 2024-2025.
Now you're making me want to cancel my preorder!

I agree that this set seems destined to sell very, very well.

I think I've said more than enough about this to express my thoughts about the matter.

And who knows? Maybe I'm wrong—maybe WotC will have a really innovative idea for a big crossover event, one that will win over people like Scribe and me with its clever high-concept and its skillful execution, treating both IP's with respect while giving them a refreshing jolt of new energy.

<remembers the Spellplague>

Oh...

This is so tilting.

I find the idea of Jace, standing along side Elminster so....unnecessary. what is possibly improved by doing so?

When does Teferi end the Blood War?

When does an Eldrazi wipe out the drow?

Gah, when I thought this was just another commander set I could ignore? Fine.

I really DISLIKE the MTG meta plot. Hate it in fact, but the system of MTGs magic and cosmology? Great.

On its own.

I absolutely HATE the idea of them being mixed.

I just hope they make a clean cut 6th, after giving us Planescape, before they merge them so I can stay in 5th without it.

Your building it up too much, playing out the most absurd scenerios. Merging them doesn't have to be so extreme or disruptive.

I think I've said more than enough about this to express my thoughts about the matter.

And who knows? Maybe I'm wrong—maybe WotC will have a really innovative idea for a big crossover event, one that will win over people like Scribe and me with its clever high-concept and its skillful execution, treating both IP's with respect while giving them a refreshing jolt of new energy.

Oh...

This isn't hinging upon your preorder, you 1 of millions, in fact based on how fast certain stores have already sold out of AFR products, its already too late to stop AFR from being a huge success, maybe MtGs most profitable set ever.

Kaldheim was the most profitable winter set ever and it didn't have anywhere near the advantages AFR has, such as the return of in store play.

But merging the multiverses won't be as disruptive as you guys think.

This will not be Spellplague 2.0, more like what they just did with Eberron in 5e merging its Cosmology in with D&Ds, but with more story too it. They aren't going to radically change most settings, it will likely mostly effect Planeswalkers more then anyone else, and maybe a few new races for FR (which happens every edition anyways).

Teferi isn't going to broker peace between demons and devils.

There will likely be an important event, but after that the influences will be minimal between them, merging the universes is mostly to justify crossover products and to avoid growing confusion.

In fact there will likely alot of MtG players who by the end of AFR won't even know the Forgotten Realms is a seperate cosmology.

So please don't fill your mind with worst case dooms day scenarios.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This is so tilting.

I find the idea of Jace, standing along side Elminster so....unnecessary. what is possibly improved by doing so?

I really DISLIKE the MTG meta plot. Hate it in fact, but the system of MTGs magic and cosmology? Great.

On its own.

I just hope they make a clean cut 6th, after giving us Planescape, before they merge them so I can stay in 5th without it.
I very much doubt we’re going to see that sort of thing in D&D. Metaplots in TTRPGs have been out of fashion for like 20 years. At most we’ll continue to see setting books for MTG planes and maybe get stats for some famous MTG characters. On the MtG side of things I could more easily imagine metaplot tying in with D&D. More sets set in MtG settings, where the Planeswalker characters interact with famous characters from those settings. But I expect they’ll take it slow so as not to risk backlash to any sudden changes.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And not all "inclusive" multiverses are created equal. Here's a line from that Ixalan appendix on color mana in D&D: "Color is a fundamental organizing principle of the Multiverse, closely linked with everything from physical geography to human personality." If that's not true of the Multiverse (in its entirety, no exceptions), then you're not playing in the MTG Multiverse. And if it is true of the Multiverse, then you're not playing in the D&D Multiverse.
Yet they very specifically decided to not go that waybin Rabnica, and have treated Ravnica as part of the Prime Material. Reconcileable cosmologies can be reconciled.

Oh...

I very much doubt we’re going to see that sort of thing in D&D. Metaplots in TTRPGs have been out of fashion for like 20 years. At most we’ll continue to see setting books for MTG planes and maybe get stats for some famous MTG characters. On the MtG side of things I could more easily imagine metaplot tying in with D&D. More sets set in MtG settings, where the Planeswalker characters interact with famous characters from those settings. But I expect they’ll take it slow so as not to risk backlash to any sudden changes.

FR has metaplots, but its pretty much the only D&D setting that still does, and if Lilianna shows up on Faerun, the worst that happens is she slepts with Elminister, she and the other MtG planeswalkers won't be as disruptive to the Forgotten Realms FRs own Gods are and inhabiants are.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
FR has metaplots, but its pretty much the only D&D setting that still does, and if Lilianna shows up on Faerun, the worst that happens is she slepts with Elminister, she and the other MtG planeswalkers won't be as disruptive to the Forgotten Realms FRs own Gods are and inhabiants are.
Yeah, but that’s just the novels, right?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What is h

I everything I've seen suggests its going to sell like crazy, I mean if alot of businesses have already sold out on preorders, that's a pretty good sign. Plus the trading card market is insanely hot right now. And more anecdotally there seems to be massive excitement online, with only the rare haters. Plus kitchen table MtG fans which is the majority won't worry about the lore too much or even realize AFR isn't magic canon.
The dude from the Magic stream.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is so tilting.

On its own.

That actually all sounds fun.

Remove ads