D&D 5E Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG set Planeswalkers confirmed.

For mana rocks in AFR my guesses are Karsustone as a Legendary Artifact (Mana Rock), Blood Golems (Artifact Creature Golem mana rock with Changeling), Ring of Wizardry, Ring of Winter, and the Staff of Power.

Blood Golems produce mana in FR lore, and can be turned into other creatures. The Karsestone was Karsus heart, the Archwizard who was briefly God of Magic before destroying himself in the process, and it pours out raw magic.

Basically. All of the Adventure products are treated as potentialities, not even with canon conclusions.
That's certainly more true now than it's ever been, but it's still not exactly right. Many of the later adventures presuppose the events of Tyranny of Dragons. Baldur's Gate III assumes a certain outcome of Descent into Avernus. Dragon of Icespire Peak presupposes a certain outcome (or rather, excludes certain atypical outcomes) of Lost Mine of Phandelver, and so on. (In the campaign I'm currently running of Phandelver, Harbin Wester has been murdered. Does that mess up Icespire Peak for that home game's continuity? Not significantly, because I can replace Harbin with a different, similar character, or whatever. But canonically, he survived the events of Phandelver.)

And if the Netherese obelisks aren't building up to some canonical metaplot event, I'll eat Elminster's hat.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's true up to a point, but it's a very light coexistence at the moment, with glancing references to MTG settings within the non-MTG books. There's nothing that would constitute a major crossover event within D&D lore. I'm hoping it stays that way, but fearing it won't.
I don't see anything that they do that can't be easily ignored. Certainly no MTG settings exist in my D&D game. Not one. ;)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Do you really let your D&D players planeshift onto the USS Enterprise?

*Edit because that sounds confrontational, and I try not to sound confrontational. Maybe you do really play in one huge chaosmos, and if that's fun for you, then more power to you.
Gary Gygax ran a game where almost that exact thing happened. The group went into a portal and ended up on a starship bridge and played Metamorphosis Alpha until they could find their way back. ;)

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

Yeah, I wasn't saying no one cares about lore.

But here's a common experience; DM buys an adventure module, let's say Rime of the Frostmaiden. Players start making their characters, and one says, "Hey, I would like to play as leonine! It's this lion-man, it's an option in this book Theros I got as a gift." Then DM says, "No, leonine aren't in the Forgotten Realms. You can only play a leonine if you play in a Theros game." Player is now sad.

Now, I'm not saying that DMs shouldn't reserve the right to reject player requests, but when many players aren't very invested in the lore of these worlds, saying "no" because of lore will always frustrate them. In their heads, they bought a book, the book gives these rules, why can't I use them? For them the DM saying no "because in this world those don't exist" seems like a spoilsport move.

This is becoming more common as many new D&D players have much less experience with these worlds and lore.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Oh it will sell. Magic sells unreal amounts right now.
Yep. In the last 10 years I've done the occasional pre-release or draft and that's all I've spent on Magic. I'm going to be buying 2 boxes of this set, which will probably meet or exceed that 10 year total. Depending on the set, I may buy a 3rd box. I plan on doing the same with the Lord of the Rings set they announced.

For all that I love mixing D&D and Lord of the Rings into Magic the Gathering, I don't want Magic the Gathering mixed into my D&D. I'm not sure why I feel so strongly in different directions on the mixing, but I do.

Yeah, I wasn't saying no one cares about lore.

But here's a common experience; DM buys an adventure module, let's say Rime of the Frostmaiden. Players start making their characters, and one says, "Hey, I would like to play as leonine! It's this lion-man, it's an option in this book Theros I got as a gift." Then DM says, "No, leonine aren't in the Forgotten Realms. You can only play a leonine if you play in a Theros game." Player is now sad.

Now, I'm not saying that DMs shouldn't reserve the right to reject player requests, but when many players aren't very invested in the lore of these worlds, saying "no" because of lore will always frustrate them. In their heads, they bought a book, the book gives these rules, why can't I use them? For them the DM saying no "because in this world those don't exist" seems like a spoilsport move.

This is becoming more common as many new D&D players have much less experience with these worlds and lore.
Absolutely. My current Descent into Avernus game has a leonine PC—played by a player who's also at least a little bit of a Forgotten Realms lore buff. Easy: he's from a small tribe in the Shaar of heretofore undocumented creatures related to wemics. Makes sense with the setting, and allows the player to play the character he wants to play. But "Hi! I'm Leo. I came from Theros, it's right over thataway" wouldn't fly.

Absolutely. My current Descent into Avernus game has a leonine PC—played by a player who's also at least a little bit of a Forgotten Realms lore buff. Easy: he's from a small tribe in the Shaar of heretofore undocumented creatures related to wemics. Makes sense with the setting, and allows the player to play the character he wants to play. But "Hi! I'm Leo. I came from Theros, it's right over thataway" wouldn't fly.

You could also have made him from Mulhorand, Abeir, Anador, or Katashaka. Leonine are the MtG race I most want to see added to FR lore.

A MtG creature has already moved from the Theros book to an FR book, the Naiad from Theros appears in Candlekeep mysteries with new art, but its Therosan stats intact, which were inspired by Naiad cards in Theros sets. Example is the oddness that these water nymphs can fly, it makes sense in the MtG context of the blue colour pie, same with their illusion spells. This doesn't conflict with FR lore, as Naiads have been mentioned once, but never statted in D&D history.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You could also have made him from Mulhorand, Abeir, Anador, or Katashaka. Leonine are the MtG race I most want to see added to FR lore.

A MtG creature has already moved from the Theros book to an FR book, the Naiad from Theros appears in Candlekeep mysteries with new art, but its Therosan stats intact, which were inspired by Naiad cards in Theros sets. Example is the oddness that these water nymphs can fly, it makes sense in the MtG context of the blue colour pie, same with their illusion spells. This doesn't conflict with FR lore, as Naiads have been mentioned once, but never statted in D&D history.
I don't consider that to be mixing, though. Naiads have been mentioned in D&D and even if they weren't, are easily a D&D type creature. Greek monsters have appeared many times in D&D over the years. That the stats come from Theros is just a convenience for WotC. It saves time and money, and doesn't confuse the game with the same creature in different settings having different stats.

Scribe

Legend
For all that I love mixing D&D and Lord of the Rings into Magic the Gathering, I don't want Magic the Gathering mixed into my D&D. I'm not sure why I feel so strongly in different directions on the mixing, but I do.

I think because Magic (can be) far less of a hard setting. LoTR and FR are specific things. Magic? Outside the (terrible) Gatewatch, it just doesnt have that same level of lore built up.

Remove ads