D&D 5E Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG set Planeswalkers confirmed.

Rikka66

Adventurer
It's clear to me that WotC knows that fully merging the two IPs' lore would alienate a certain number of fans on both sides. Obviously, they can make some money by doing so, too—probably much more than whatever they might lose by alienating fans who have an investment in the existing lore. WotC has announced that they're considering doing the lore-merger. Part of the motive for the most recent D&D survey, I believe, is to gauge how receptive D&D players would be to that possibility.

The fact that when I entered my age, that survey abruptly ended (rather than continuing on to the final section, which was apparently aimed only at younger players) probably provides me with all the tea leaves I really need to read.
The age question is at the end. You likely just said no to bring a magic player

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I think there is. The MTG multiverse supposes a number of basic metaphysical and cosmological facts that aren't true in the D&D multiverse, and vice versa.

Consider the MTG settings in D&D: as well executed as they are, they can only function in D&D by completely excluding the fundamental feature of MTG magic (color and mana). It's not MTG magic you're casting, it's D&D magic.

The funny thing is, "basic metaphysical and cosmological facts" is just lore mumbo-jumbo.

When I player comes up to me and says, "I have a really fun idea for a simic-hybrid character from Ravnica, who is studying at Candlekeep to learn how to be human again!" am I really going to say, "No you aren't, Planeswalkers don't work in Forgotten Realms because the spark is only inhibited in people across the Blind Eternities, and to allow them would upset the balance as why haven't Chandra and Elminster teamed up to fight Nicol Bolas and BLAH BLAH BLAH"

As said in other threads, most players don't care about lore. So I'm not going to use lore as some justification to ban player options just because. And if WotC notices a bunch of people using material cross-setting like this... they can just change the lore. It's not a big deal. Most D&D players don't give a flyin hoot, they want to play as an elephant-man and telling them "No because lore!" is always unsatisfying.

He is the Greg Tito of Magic.

What is h
I’m almost certain it will. Again, unless AitFR sells poorly and their surveys suggest it isn’t wanted.

I everything I've seen suggests its going to sell like crazy, I mean if alot of businesses have already sold out on preorders, that's a pretty good sign. Plus the trading card market is insanely hot right now. And more anecdotally there seems to be massive excitement online, with only the rare haters. Plus kitchen table MtG fans which is the majority won't worry about the lore too much or even realize AFR isn't magic canon.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I everything I've seen suggests its going to sell like crazy, I mean if alot of businesses have already sold out on preorders, that's a pretty good sign. Plus the trading card market is insanely hot right now. And more anecdotally there seems to be massive excitement online, with only the rare haters. Plus kitchen table MtG fans which is the majority won't worry about the lore too much or even realize AFR isn't magic canon.
Yeah, so like I said. My prediction is that it will sell incredibly well, and they will make more crossovers in the future that will be part of MtG canon, and may even retroactively declare this one canon too.

Yeah, so like I said. My prediction is that it will sell incredibly well, and they will make more crossovers in the future that will be part of MtG canon, and may even retroactively declare this one canon too.

I think barring a massive unseen backlash not only will AFR sell well, maybe even out selling any other Summer set or any other set period, but that the merging is going to be ineviblitable at that point, and that once they have the idea they like its going to be a huge event, with D&D adventure tie ins and a whole block devoted to it. Maybe in 2024-2025.

Stormonu

Legend
On the D&D side, multiversal mixing has been done for a long time. Gygax had Greyhawk wizards facing off with WW2 Germans … Elminster has entertained Mordenkainen on Earth in the Wizards Three, so we know there’s the possibility of anything that has existed in Greyhawk - or in our world - could bleed over to FR. Same with Dragonlance. Things like the crashed starship in the Barrier Peaks for outer space zanyness; heck, Elminster could have taken a teletubie or Furby back with him to FR had he so desired*. There’s hints even in Greenwood’s articles that the myths and fantastical stories we tell here on Earth are actually us unconsciously peering into other existing universes, and thereby conceivably our Earth could become a touchstone for anything, from Star Wars to MtG Zendicar to bleed into FR.

And just because there’s been one Superman vs. Alien and Batman vs. Predator comic book doesn’t mean the whole AvP universe is in DC and will appear monthly, it’s just a single crossover for the fans who like that sort of thing and can safely be ignored by “purist” fans of the various properties as a “what if” situation. Same for this MtG/D&D stuff.

* Somehow, I could just see a cubby in Elmister’s abode stuffed with various knicknacks “acquired” from Greenwood’s house and kept as curiosities, from the aforementioned Furby to a pile of beanie babies and maybe even a battery-drained iPhone.

Scribe

Legend
I think barring a massive unseen backlash not only will AFR sell well, maybe even out selling any other Summer set or any other set period, but that the merging is going to be ineviblitable at that point, and that once they have the idea they like its going to be a huge event, with D&D adventure tie ins and a whole block devoted to it. Maybe in 2024-2025.
This is so tilting.

I find the idea of Jace, standing along side Elminster so....unnecessary. what is possibly improved by doing so?

When does Teferi end the Blood War?

When does an Eldrazi wipe out the drow?

Gah, when I thought this was just another commander set I could ignore? Fine.

I really DISLIKE the MTG meta plot. Hate it in fact, but the system of MTGs magic and cosmology? Great.

On its own.

I absolutely HATE the idea of them being mixed.

I just hope they make a clean cut 6th, after giving us Planescape, before they merge them so I can stay in 5th without it.

Oh it will sell. Magic sells unreal amounts right now.

It won't be as bad as you fear, they will likely be cautious as to how disruptive the merging will be on preexisting setting. Heck it could be as simple as both multuverses are linked by the far realms.

Remove ads