D&D 5E Adventures in the Forgotten Realms MtG set Planeswalkers confirmed.

Scribe

Legend
Now, I'm not saying that DMs shouldn't reserve the right to reject player requests, but when many players aren't very invested in the lore of these worlds, saying "no" because of lore will always frustrate them. In their heads, they bought a book, the book gives these rules, why can't I use them? For them the DM saying no "because in this world those don't exist" seems like a spoilsport move.

This is becoming more common as many new D&D players have much less experience with these worlds and lore.

This is already possible though. They dont need to mess with the lore of these distinct and separate games. They already have the Magic Setting books, and thats enough.

Sitting down and seeing Drizzt cast at 3 mana (1WR?) is going to just be annoying, but hopefully I can lightning bolt him and move on.

I get what you are saying, but to me the lore isnt about lineage restrictions, its about making the settings 'alive' and distinct, without making them smaller.

Teferi solving the Blood War, means the Player Characters are not solving the Blood War.
Liliana making a deal with Orcus, just replaces the players from being the 'stars' of the campaign.

Not even going into then the issues of how Magic works, Gods, Planeswalkers...and what will LIKELY ruin my one great desire left, Sigil and Planescape.

Cry Cry Cry GIF by MOODMAN

I don't consider that to be mixing, though. Naiads have been mentioned in D&D and even if they weren't, are easily a D&D type creature. Greek monsters have appeared many times in D&D over the years. That the stats come from Theros is just a convenience for WotC. It saves time and money, and doesn't confuse the game with the same creature in different settings having different stats.

MtG lore and colour pie shaped the actual stats, so the MtG influence is embedded right in it, its not just Greek inspired, the fly spell on Naiads isn't from Greek myth, its from its MtG influences. Its MtG already shaping FR.

This is already possible though. They dont need to mess with the lore of these distinct and separate games. They already have the Magic Setting books, and thats enough.

Sitting down and seeing Drizzt cast at 3 mana (1WR?) is going to just be annoying, but hopefully I can lightning bolt him and move on.

I get what you are saying, but to me the lore isnt about lineage restrictions, its about making the settings 'alive' and distinct, without making them smaller.

Teferi solving the Blood War, means the Player Characters are not solving the Blood War.
Liliana making a deal with Orcus, just replaces the players from being the 'stars' of the campaign.

Not even going into then the issues of how Magic works, Gods, Planeswalkers...and what will LIKELY ruin my one great desire left, Sigil and Planescape.

I see Drizzt as at least 5 mana, WG*** to cast, but I could wrong.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

Yeah, I think the lore changes to reconcile the two settings are overstated. The official D&D explanation is simply that all worlds are on the Material Plane. They are not all interconnected (Eberron is a notable D&D example of this).

My larger point is that many games right now already have combined the MTG and D&D worlds into one Multiverse, and don't care about the lore minutiae of why that doesn't quite work. There even is a stream called the Broken Pact, that is streamed on D&D's official Twitch, where the first 2 seasons are in Ravnica, the 3rd season is in Avernus, and the 4th is in Theros.

So anyway, I think if they official reconciled the two, it wouldn't annoy that many people and would ease the ability of tables to use all the available books. I do agree however that just because the two settings can share a Multiverse, I don't need to see Planeswalkers solving D&D mainstays like the Blood War, etc. I don't think them existing invalidates the PCs (players really don't care much about what Drizzt or Elminster is doing, why would they care about Liliana).

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I agree. But that's not an issue with mixing MTG and FR, though. You could have the same problem with Elminster solving the Blood War in a novel, and having Szass Tam making a deal with Orcus in an adventure background.

That's always an issue with high level NPCs in an adventure setting. Its not like FR dont already have an absurd array of spotlight stealing uber-NPCs.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think because Magic (can be) far less of a hard setting. LoTR and FR are specific things. Magic? Outside the (terrible) Gatewatch, it just doesnt have that same level of lore built up.
I think that for me it's more that MTG is a card game, rather than an RPG. It doesn't matter to me if the card that costs 1 red and 2 colorless and summons a 2/2 creature is called a Gray Ogre or a Flaming Fist Mercenary. A card is a card and the mechanics are the mechanics as far as the game is concerned.

I agree. But that's not an issue with mixing MTG and FR, though. You could have the same problem with Elminster solving the Blood War in a novel, and having Szass Tam making a deal with Orcus in an adventure background.

That's always an issue with high level NPCs in an adventure setting. Its not like FR dont already have an absurd array of spotlight stealing uber-NPCs.

I don't get the obsession with spotlight, there are a billion plothooks in FR. Maybe Elminister solving the blood war leads to fiends declaring war on heavens and your players have to fix that or Elminister is too busy because he's off visiting Ed Greenwood in Canada celebrating the legalization of weed. And maybe Drizzt is busy with father daughter time to save the local village. And Mirt is passed out from drinking too much and Tzazz Tam is busy going over Thay's tax revenues and opening a Thay community centre staffed by zombies.

Yeah, I think the lore changes to reconcile the two settings are overstated. The official D&D explanation is simply that all worlds are on the Material Plane. They are not all interconnected (Eberron is a notable D&D example of this).

My larger point is that many games right now already have combined the MTG and D&D worlds into one Multiverse, and don't care about the lore minutiae of why that doesn't quite work. There even is a stream called the Broken Pact, that is streamed on D&D's official Twitch, where the first 2 seasons are in Ravnica, the 3rd season is in Avernus, and the 4th is in Theros.

So anyway, I think if they official reconciled the two, it wouldn't annoy that many people and would ease the ability of tables to use all the available books. I do agree however that just because the two settings can share a Multiverse, I don't need to see Planeswalkers solving D&D mainstays like the Blood War, etc. I don't think them existing invalidates the PCs (players really don't care much about what Drizzt or Elminster is doing, why would they care about Liliana).

See this is one of the reasons they will eventually merge the setting, all the crossing over is just going to confuse more and more people as the boundaries get fuzzier and fuzzier.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I don't get the obsession with spotlight, there are a billion plothooks in FR. Maybe Elminister solving the blood war leads to fiends declaring war on heavens and your players have to fix that or Elminister is too busy because he's off visiting Ed Greenwood in Canada celebrating the legalization of weed. And maybe Drizzt is busy with father daughter time to save the local village. And Mirt is passed out from drinking too much and Tzazz Tam is busy going over Thay's tax revenues and opening a Thay community centre staffed by zombies.
I agree with you. With the constant flow of trouble Faerun faces, there's always space for your heroes to shine.

Just to be sure, in my FRs, the Companions of the Hall are dead, Elminster is a retired, grumpy sage without his Chosen powers, and Drizzt is occupied trying to slay Lolth, so nobody's here to save the PC's a**es. :p

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah. The big NPCs are all dealing with each other, leaving the PCs the only ones to deal with the problems they are encountering. In order for spotlight stealing by the big NPCs to be a problem, the DM needs to create that problem in the first place.

Remove ads