D&D 5E Adventures - Levels and page count

ccs

41st lv DM
Mike Mearls on Twitter, July 2015:

"@michael_natale it's tricky, because shorter adventures are hard to make work in book and game stores. we have some ideas, though."

I could have sworn there have been other mentions too, but I can't find them now.

And yet Paizo continues to do just that. Maybe Mearls should call them up & ask 'em how they do it.

This adventure is still shorter then the others. Same page count but still shorter.

Also you can go to the DMGuild and buy the short Adventure League Adventures if you want.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
And yet Paizo continues to do just that. Maybe Mearls should call them up & ask 'em how they do it.
You missed the "in book and game stores" part, or are ignorant of the fact that said type of stores don't actually do well on the short adventures and adventure paths (in my experience, which I admit is limited to only working at one gaming store and visiting numerous local stores to see their adventures collecting dust, even when sitting on the discount rack) - it's the subscription model that covers the bulk of sales on those products.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Mike Mearls on Twitter, July 2015:

"@michael_natale it's tricky, because shorter adventures are hard to make work in book and game stores. we have some ideas, though."

I could have sworn there have been other mentions too, but I can't find them now.

Reads like an oblique nod to the DMs Guild, if you ask me.

delericho

Legend
I have seen people complain about levels to cost ratio for Curse of Strahd in multiple places now.

This is very odd to me.

Yep, feels a bit odd to me too. $50 for 256 pages is right at the top end of what I'd be willing to pay, given the cost-per-page ratio, but it simply wouldn't have occurred to me to even consider a cost-per-level ratio. :)

Agamon

Adventurer

I thought the Pathfinder Adventures were put to pasture in favor of Adventure Paths a while back. Are they making short adventures again?

delericho

Legend
I thought the Pathfinder Adventures were put to pasture in favor of Adventure Paths a while back. Are they making short adventures again?

No, they never actually stopped. They did revamp the line a few years ago, doing fewer, bigger modules, and I believe they're doing considerably less well than the APs (so I wouldn't be surprised if they did stop), but they're still going.

Zaran

Adventurer
One that that was said is that the Ravenloft book is going to be a lot of sourcebook for Barovia along with the adventure. I think they have said it will be more info about Barovia than has ever been printed. So hopefully a GM will have enough to go on to exclude the adventure or continue on after 10th level.

Remove ads