• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice for Transmuter/Cleric

svwilson

First Post
I have a character I haven't played in a long time; not at all in 3.5, I believe. Briefly: he's an 11th level Transmuter, 1st level Cleric.

Feats include: silent spell, still spell, eschew materials (transmutations only), maximize spell, enlarge spell, extend spell.

His best spells include Contingency, Veil, Hold Monster, Polymorph, Baleful Polymorph, Wall of Fire, Wall of Ice, Lightning Bolt, Slow.

Best items include Nolzur's Magic Pigments and an intelligent +4 dagger that speaks several languages and has multiple detections.

1) What's the best use for Polymorph? Back when Polymorph Self's duration was 10 minutes per level I could find all sorts of uses for it -- spying, scouting, tranportation, even manual labor. Polymorph Other, which lasted indefinitely, was even better -- or would have been if my friends ever let me use it on them.

Now Polymorph only lasts 11 minutes. That seems to mean that its only good in combat. Is my character better served by turning into an ogre and wading into melee rather than standing off and casting lightning bolts? Will our fighters prefer to be changed into dire bears when they already do so much damage with their weapons? Are there other short-duration uses for Polymorph?

2) Taking a level of cleric lets me use cleric-only devices, but what of what other use is a 1st-level cleric in a 12th-level party?

Shawn

werk

First Post
svwilson said:
1) What's the best use for Polymorph?
There are a ton of threads about polymorph. I'd recommend at least going through the forums a little (I don't have search function either)
2) Taking a level of cleric lets me use cleric-only devices, but what of what other use is a 1st-level cleric in a 12th-level party?
If you pick your Domains right, that one level of cleric can really boost your power level.

TheGogmagog

First Post
http://www.enworld.org/archive/index.php/f-3.html is a good way to skan through old boards quickly, but I don't think you will find much of use there.

Most of the suggestions involve outsiders, which is only valid if you are already an outsider. The rest involve huge creatures (mostly the Hydra), which is dependant on your DM's interpretation of the line in polymorph as removing the upper size limit of alter self, or maintaining it.

I haven't found much use for it. As you said, by the time you are 11th or higher level you will want both magic enhanced weapons and equipment. The one use I have seen for it is to polymorph the rogue into something with more than 4 attacks, like hydra, roper or wyvern. Since most of thier damage comes from sneak attack, more attacks weigh more than magic weapon.

Aside from that the other uses are short duration variations in movement, burrow, fly etc.

Rkhet

First Post
It's pretty pointless to use this on youself, even with a hydra. You don't get the hit points or the BAB to make it worth your while. You should use it on the meatshield. Does your party have a monk?

There's a feat from Savage Species that lets you take on an SU ability from an alternate form. Turn into a Beholder and use its eyebeams. Or a Choker and get the extra partial action.

That single level of Cleric means you get Turn Undead. Not much good for its intended purpose, but you can still power divine feats with it. Specifically, you can do the divine metamagic thing.

For domains, I like Planning and Undeath.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Depending on what schools of magic you chose to drop to become a Transmuter, Cleric can be pretty fun with the right domains.

As I recall, if you have one of the elemental Domains, you not only turn elementals, but you get access to some nifty elemental spells arcane casters don't have. Combine that with Energy Substitution & that's some niiiice nastyness.

The Axiomatic domains give you a +1 caster level to spells with the appropriate alignment descriptor, as do Healing & Knowledge domains.

War domain improves your combat ability. Death gives you a death attack. Destruction lets you smite.

And with patience, you can become a Mystic Theurge...

svwilson

First Post
I talked it over with my party, and I realized that the problem with Annis Hags and Stone Giants and Trolls are that they all Large. My friends get a lot of bonuses with their armor, bracers, gloves, and light weapons that they would lose. So now I'm looking for good Medium-sized humanoid and monstrous humanoid forms.

How about the Green Hag? STR 19 and DEX 12 are only fair, but it gets +11 Natural Armor! The heck with my friends -- I'm taking this myself.

Any others?

aceofgames

First Post
Not to sound mean, but if you get the chance to rebuild the character, consider taking levels in Master Transmogrifyier (or however its spelled) from the Complete Arcane. It has a class feature you may like, I'll have to check real quick, but I remember that it allows you to mix and match abilities from three or four creatures.
That might solve your size problem. :D

svwilson

First Post
One more thing: self-buffing spells.

There are so many books now that I can't hope to read them all. Can anyone suggest a good wizard spell (max level 6) to raise my saves, and/or give me spell resistance? (My character was out in a desert when he leveled up, so I'll be able to "finish researching" a spell much easier than I can locate a Cloak of Resistance.)

I initially liked "Fiendform" from Complete Arcane: as a lemur or dretch I could be resistant to a great many things and still cast spells; however, the form may be too weak otherwise.

Rkhet

First Post
Superior Resistance from SS. Level 5, +6 Resistance to all saves. Can even be used with Permanence. A little overpowered, I think.

svwilson

First Post
Rkhet said:
Superior Resistance from SS. Level 5, +6 Resistance to all saves. Can even be used with Permanence. A little overpowered, I think.

Just the way I like it.

However, it now seems that my GM will only permit spells from the core books, the "Complete" books, and the Miniatures Handbook. Any more suggestions?

-- Shawn

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads