Pathfinder 1E Advice Needed: Best way to work with Power Gamers?

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Oh, and in regards to the guy who would buy the module and read it and call the GM out? He'd be looking for a new group. Fast.

This is always an easy fix - before each predone adventure, set up some changes that make it so a player who has read the module will get screwed.

Example - There is a secret door outside the walls of a keep, hidden, that might take time to find, that leads inside in a secret manner. Instead, the secret door leads to a passage that has a trap behind it to close off players from escape and has something new and horrible in it, something that really upsets power gamers (rust monster, disenchanter, etc), and the real secret door leading inside has been moved. It is still there, just elsewhere on the map.

Olfan

First Post
I've really only dealt with one or two hardcore power gamers in my time as a DM. Like others, I handled them with some restrictions, but I realize that since that's their preferred method of play, telling them to stop will only reduce their enjoyment of the game, which is never ideal (and usually doesn't work anyway).

My solutions change and are always in flux, but I only run core book games. So the big three CRB, DMG, and Bestiary. Of course extra Bestiarys are allowed. I won't use material from extra books myself, so it's "fair", whatever that means. At first I had protests but in time the power gamers told me it helped them to focus and keep their creation process easier. I also feel that extra books aren't as well play tested with the original books, making some options vastly more powerful than others.

I also will control magic item flow. I've noticed that d20 system games tend to rely on an ever growing power level on the characters, including magic items. It assumes they acquire bonuses. Well since a power character is designed to be stronger than others, they can go longer without upgrades. Towns don't sell magic items, they're only found. This usually means more work on the DM's part to come up with what they get and when. But a power gamer with limited access to more power will merely work harder (as another poster said) to gain more, perhaps even overcoming his lack of magic items. That feeds both his need to min-max, and the DM's need to level him out a bit.

What's important to me is to not punish the other players because the power gamer wants to do his thing, and to not hinder the fun of the power gamer himself. That player has since moved and I no longer have to accommodate him, but that's what I took away from my experience.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
I guess I'm just lucky. I'm a powergamer, I'll admit (I like epic, sweeping adventures, whether I'm DMing or playing), but that does't mean I'm out to ruin other people's fun.

The non-powergamers came to enjoy that they're trying to find out information while the combatacon is fighting off the horde of orcish warriors at the gate, and it's round by round movement, quick Diplomacy checks to find out who has what, the party working together, to each of their strengths, to overcome adversity.

As a GM, it did add some extra planning on my end though.

Remove ads