• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice needed: Drow skin tones

Tom Cashel

First Post
We're starting to paint a whole mess of drow this afternoon, and I'd like to go for a dark skin tone (black basecoat). Can anyone recommend a good Citadel color for highlights and drybrushing? Anybody got any example pics to show?

Thanks in advance!

las

First Post
Even thow I dont paint minys (Im only in basic desin) but you can use gray or a drak violet or dark blue (or any combo of thos three) should get what your trying to get. Learning about color pluse seing alot of drow pics (book dragon mag) you get to pick up on the color comeny used.

Tewligan

First Post
If you want to keep them really dark, I'd base the skin with black, and drybrush kind of heavily with their darkest blue (which I believe is called either Midnight Blue or Nightshade Blue - I'm at work, so I'm unsure), with maybe a lighter drybrush of the next darkest, which I think is the other of the two I listed above. If you want the detail to stand out more at this point, try a VERY light drybrushing of Space Wolf Grey - it has a bluish cast, so it won't look too out of place. You'll get a smoother look if you mix a little dark blue into the SW grey before the final drybrush, but it isn't necessary.

Gizzard

First Post
This is a "Witch Elf" by Jennifer Haley. An 8.8 on the 10 point scale; very sweet. Dunno how you feel about the purple in the skin tone, but she still looks "drow" to me. ;-)

Tom Cashel

First Post
I'll let you know. We just started the basecoats yesterday. We're working on 13 drow, 4 driders and 4 spiders. :)

And then there's about 8 more drow and 4 mind flayers all primed.

Remove ads