• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice needed: Poor DM decision, and something of a eulogy for a beloved character.

Craer

First Post
reapersaurus said:
rhetorical question:
why are basic communication skills apparently in such short supply when gamers are concerned?

Pardon?

I may have been incorrect in saying that the PC was off the table for several months. It was more like one or two, but that still is a lot when you play once a week or so. I'll see if I can get the DM to paste on these boards.

-Craer

Last edited:

Zerovoid

First Post
What the DM did is a complete load of BS. Don't put up with that crap. Maybe if you tell him about the problems out of game, you can find some kind of resolution. Maybe it was somebody else impersonating the character, and when he really tries to rejoin the group, then the PC's won't know what to think, and interesting role playing will insue.

If the DM insists on the character being dead, then just put the character sheet away, and bring it out for another campaign later.

Shaele

First Post
Umm, what?!

>> My sympathies, but there isn't much of a case here. Just using
>> your side of the case, there seems adequite grounds for
>> assuming you had retired the PC and the DM was free to use
>> him as desired. Several months on the shelf looks pretty
>> abandoned.

Why do so many people seem to feel that a DM somehow has a "right" to use PCs? In any campaign in which I've been involved, the character belongs to the player. It's _their_ concept, time, effort involved in creating that character, why should a DM have the authority to do _anything_ with it outside of normal gameplay?

There's a certain amount of trust and respect involved here. As a player, I put my effort into creating a character, trusting the DM to be fair to me (i.e. my character). That includes _not_ doing things like killing off my character when I'm not playing him.

To be fair, maybe your DM is using it as a plot device, and doesn't intend any "permanent" harm - still not acceptable in my mind, but not too far out. Talk to him, see what he intends. If your character is "really" dead? You have every right to be very, very mad.

Remove ads