• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice on 9th level Monk doing 6d6 damage per strike...

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Cedric said:
Ok, not to quibble or argue, but as soon you declare something contrary to the Official 3.5 FAQ, then its clear you are no longer discussing the rules as they are written, but are discussing the rules as you would have them.

I would tend to agree with ThirdWizard here. There are many people here on the boards that simply don't care what the FAQ says because the FAQ is often an unreliable source. In my understanding of the game, using an FAQ rationale is equivalent to justifying a houserule. That doesn't make it right or wrong ... it does however indicate the difference between FAQ and RAW (or even FAQ and errata for that matter!).

Cedric

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
I would tend to agree with ThirdWizard here. There are many people here on the boards that simply don't care what the FAQ says because the FAQ is often an unreliable source. In my understanding of the game, using an FAQ rationale is equivalent to justifying a houserule. That doesn't make it right or wrong ... it does however indicate the difference between FAQ and RAW (or even FAQ and errata for that matter!).

I can appreciate that..heck, I never use the rules as they are written. In fact, if I'm running I take more stuff from 3.0 than I do from 3.5.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I agree with Nail (and almost with Nonlethal Force and IcyCool).

I would not allow any of this except the Monk's Belt.

Allowing INA is not usually a problem, but it just adds to the issue if you allow in the rest of these and literally by RAW, INA should not be allowed. However, I can see where a DM would allow it (or a similar feat) in.

But, INA is typically a pumped up version of Weapon Specialization and because of that, it can be a little overpowered (i.e. nobody adds INA to their PC when it goes from 1D6 to 1D8 and it is just one average extra point of damage, they add it when they go from 1D8 to 2D6 or greater when it is 2.5 or 3.5 average extra points of damage).

Quartz

Hero
Are goliaths as a race present in your campaign? Does one fit as a PC?

The Monk's Belt is ultra-cheese - are there any similar items for other classes? I might allow a Monk's Belt under the same premise as the Practiced Spellcaster feat, but not direct. And it's a +5 item at 9th level to boot. So scratch the belt.

The Fanged Ring sounds interesting, but I'd say it doesn't help the monk's unarmed damage on the basis that the monk's unarmed damage is based on skill rather than physical might. And since it's an evilish item (requires Poison to create), other characters in the party might object.

Artoomis

First Post
KarinsDad said:
...Allowing INA is not usually a problem, but it just adds to the issue if you allow in the rest of these and literally by RAW, INA should not be allowed...

Many would (and do) say that literally by RAW it is allowed.

It's a very active debate that should not be re-hashed here; suffice it say that both sides have pretty firm beliefs about why they are correct and so you should probably not believe either one :) but make your own educated conclusion.

As for two-weapon fighting, as I recall it IS allowed for monks per the RAW, but I think it's a nitpicky rules interpretation tha allows it and it makes no sense to me.

In any case, having a bit of a kick-but monk should not break your game. Probably no worse than some fighter and/or barabrian builds that end up doing massive damage with every hit.

An average of 14, assuming you go with th 4d6 option (plus maybe a small STR bonus), with every hit is big, but not game-breaking by any means.

I'm assuming a small STR bonus because the monk needs the other stats higher to survive.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Thanee said:
I know nobody, he plays in my campaign. :D

If he is playing a Monk and using the INA for unarmed damage, this will no longer be true when he gets to 4th level (assuming he is medium sized, if he is small, he will have to wait until 8th level). By then, his 1D8 will be going up to 2D6.

Stalker0

Legend
1) The Goliath thing is very clear, so I would disallow that one.

2) The INA is still under serious debate, but I would allow it as a compromise for taking out one.

3) The monk's belt is a core item, the fanged ring is not. Disallow the fang ring, and allow the monk's belt.

If that gives you 4d6 damage, that's not unreasonable for 9th level. As others have said, a fighter will often do more damage and have a better to hit.

Nail

First Post
Artoomis said:
It's a very active debate that should not be re-hashed here; suffice it say that both sides have pretty firm beliefs about why they are correct and so you should probably not believe either one :) but make your own educated conclusion.
I'm willing to leave the INA debate to another thread. It's enough for the OP to know that allowing INA as a monk feat is debatable => It's not, in fact, "something everyone does" or a "clear Core Rules interpretation".

As for the rest (Goliath:No large Monk damage, Monk's Belt: No Big Deal, Fanged Ring: Not balanced, inclusion is completely a DMs call), the OP should also see that there is significantly less debate. :D

Infiniti2000

First Post
Cedric said:
Ok, not to quibble or argue, but as soon you declare something contrary to the Official 3.5 FAQ, then its clear you are no longer discussing the rules as they are written, but are discussing the rules as you would have them.
You're funny! :lol:

Remove ads