• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice on 9th level Monk doing 6d6 damage per strike...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'd allow the monks belt but none of the other things. I wouldn't actually allow Goliaths either, but assuming you are cool with that, then perhaps he should bust out the Large quarterstaff if he wants to do extra damage flurrying with his powerful build.

Cheers

Artoomis

First Post
Cedric said:
Odd, it seemed precisely the place for the discussion.

No, because it will easily take over this discussion completely and coudl end up in many, many pages of discussion as it has previously. For this dicsussion, all that is needed is that there are two points of view, both with rules support.

How legitmate that rules support is creates a massive discussion.

Cedric

First Post
Artoomis said:
No, because it will easily take over this discussion completely and coudl end up in many, many pages of discussion as it has previously. For this dicsussion, all that is needed is that there are two points of view, both with rules support.

How legitmate that rules support is creates a massive discussion.

I'll let it go because I don't post enough here to warrant stirring up trouble.

werk

First Post
GO, GO, team Goliath!

Nail said:
Try this:
#1) Can a Goliath chose to use a size Medium Weapon? a size Large weapon?

#2) Can a Goliath chose to use size Medium Unarmed Strike? a size Large Unarmed Strike?

;)

I think comparing to grapple is maybe a better analogy, and they are considered large in a grapple.

The actual text of powerful build says, basically, any time it is adavantageous, consider them large. It gives the example of improved grab.

I can understand an argument that they are effectively large WRT their unarmed strikes, but as repeatedly stated above, it's really up to the DM.

Goliaths are not allowed as a PC race IMC. Compare them to other LA+1 races and tell me they are balanced (preferrably core LA+1 races, like the orc).

Artoomis

First Post
Cedric said:
I'll let it go because I don't post enough here to warrant stirring up trouble.

I'd point you to the previous discussion, but as I am a non-paying member, I do not have search capability.

Last edited:

Cedric

First Post
Artoomis said:
I'd point you to the previous discussion, but as I am a non-paying memeber, I do not have search capability.

*nods* I didn't mean my comment to be rude, just meant it precisely as it came out. I don't post here that much, depends the game we're playing, my work schedule, free time, etc. So I'll take your word for it that the horse is dead and requires no further beating.

Like I'd said earlier, its largely irrelevant anyway, as I rarely use the rules precisely as they are written.

Fieari

Explorer
KarinsDad said:
Although Improved Unarmed Strike gives a creature the same types of benefits as a Natural Weapon, it does not give him a Natural Weapon. Core race monks are not creatures with Natural Weapons. Core races do not have Natural Weapons listed in their stat blocks (course, Humans are not even in the MM) and the IUS feat does not give this.

By literal RAW.

Note: Natural Weapons cannot be used to do nonlethal damage with no penalties. Unarmed Strikes can. They are two different but similar game mechanics and abilities.

This is an old argument, and I can see both sides of the issue. The other side, is, of course, that a monk is considered to have a natural weapon at all times it would be considered beneficial to have them.

SRD said:
A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

A feat is an effect, there's no real arguing that. The argument comes in that some people (probably you) consider the prerequisite to be seperate from the feat, and state that a prerequisite is not an effect. Others (as myself) consider the prerequisite to be part of the feat, and is thus part of the effect, and as such, the monk has natural weapons.

starwed

First Post
A feat is an effect, there's no real arguing that. The argument comes in that some people (probably you) consider the prerequisite to be seperate from the feat, and state that a prerequisite is not an effect. Others (as myself) consider the prerequisite to be part of the feat, and is thus part of the effect, and as such, the monk has natural weapons.
In other words, we have a place where the interaction of vaguely phrased rules becomes unclear. Different people interpret this different ways. If only there was some official source for rules clarifications... ^_^

Artoomis

First Post
starwed said:
In other words, we have a place where the interaction of vaguely phrased rules becomes unclear. Different people interpret this different ways. If only there was some official source for rules clarifications... ^_^

ROFL.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads