D&D 5E Advice on build for a Dwarf Order Cleric/Enchantment Wizard

ECMO3

Hero
So I am planning on playing a Mountain Dwarf Order Cleric/Enchantment Wizard in a 1-14ish campaign. The campaign is pretty combat heavy. The character will have an 8/9 strength and 8 dex in heavy armor and start as a cleric. He is going to go without weapons to keep from being encumbered, and his Dwarf race means he can wear plate with an 8 strength.

Faction agent background with proficiencies in history, persuasion, insight, investigation and intimidation.

Cantrips: Cleric - Guidance, Sacred Flame, Mending. Wizard - Shocking Grasp, Chill Touch, Sapping Sting;

As far as levels I am going to start as cleric, then 1 level of wizard, then go to cleric 6 to pick up Embodiment of Law then level 2 wizard for hypnotic gaze (allowing me to use hypnotic gaze and then bonus action an enchantment spell)

I need some advice on:

A. Level advancement after 8th level (6 cleric/2 Wizard)
Should I push cleric to 8 then take more wizard or stop at cleric 6 and go wizard all the way from there? Campaign will end between level 14 and level 16. I plan on taking lots of enchantments spells including Tasha's Mind Whip, Psychic Lance and if I get there Synaptic Static.

B. abilities on point buy and feats
option 1: S9 D8 C12 I17 W17 CH12 - Fey Touched Wisdom (Dissonant Whispers)-level 5, Telepathic Intelligence level 10, intelligence ASI level 12 or 14.

option 2: S8 D8 C12 I16 W17 CH14 -Fey Touched Wisdom (Dissonant Whispers)-level 5, Warcaster Level 10, Intelligence ASI level 12 or 14.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm not really sure I "get" what you are trying to achieve by having a multi class caster with 2 different casting stats... in general, multi-classing is a bad idea unless there is a strong synergy between the 2 classes.

ECMO3

Hero
I'm not really sure I "get" what you are trying to achieve by having a multi class caster with 2 different casting stats... in general, multi-classing is a bad idea unless there is a strong synergy between the 2 classes.

I always multiclass and usually on MAD characters. I find single classes kind of restrictive. This seems like a pretty fun build to me, very high AC, full casting slots, channel divinity.

I have found enchantment wizards to have a problem in that if hypnotic gaze fails they are stuck in melee range with terrible AC. This character would have heavy armor, so being in melee would not be a big a concern.

Also this combo lets me use an action to incapacitate someone with hypnotic gaze while also casting an action spell using a bonus action. I really can't do this in any other combo. Wizard/Sorcerer would give me quicken spell, which would be even better than embodiment of law, and allow it on a lower level dip. However I would be limited to medium armor so I would need a high dex and would not have as many spell options since Sorcerer and Wizard overlap a lot.

ECMO3

Hero
12 Con is not the best for being in melee... it will take a long time to get online.
I think con 12 will be fine with heavy armor, shield, poision resistance, sanctuary spell, absorb elements and the shield spell (and since I am going weaponless this is viable). Add shield of faith and that is a solid 25 AC with sanctuary at times and resistance to most damage that is not weapons.

I know it takes a long time to get online think I might go to Wizard 2 instead of 1 after Cleric 1. That would bring Hypnotic Gaze online at level 3 and it would be usable with spiritual weapon at level 5 (Cleric 3/Wizard 2).

Remove ads