• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AERUNEDAR and Beyond

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
Episode V INTO the LOST CITY part 2

Eleint 11
Another four hours walking in the mines, and we came upon what we have sought. The cave opens into a space, a very large dark space, and thundering, rushing water can be heard off to the right. The waterfall from the map?

We pick our way past old ruins, fields of broken stone walls. There’s a huge pillar of stone, and beyond a forest of deep fungi—mushroom “trees” fifteen to twenty feet tall, “underbrush” of mushrooms, creepers, vines, phosphor moss. Looks positively deadly. We turn left.

Walking along at the front of a row of four enormous pillars. Between them, we see that the fungus forest is quite extensive. The fourth pillar is carved into the shape of an enormous booted foot, with a leg stretching up into the gloom. The Pillar of Iolar? We can’t be sure in this accursed darkness, but there’s a wide, black river on the other side of it. Big albino fish in there.

“Don’t fall in,” advises Bronny.

Again we turn left, following along the shore. Half of us are blind, hands on the shoulders of their seeing-eye dwarves. It’s a dangerous way to travel, and it makes me nervous. Better than advertising ourselves with light, though.

Abruptly we’re surrounded by rank, nauseating vapor. Gods, the stink! We get clear of it, and eventually the retching stops.

“What was that?” No one can answer. Bronn thinks it was a spell. We move on.

Bursts of magic, four of them, pulse from beneath the water. They strike without error, and they wound, but not deeply. Something sinuous moves in the dark water...and is gone.

We move on. Whatever it is, it’s toying with us.

Soon we can see a bridge up ahead, spanning the river. It’s really a marvel that Clan Darkfell could span a two-hundred-foot wide river with a stone bridge. Not everyone is as impressed as I am. Bah. Rickety wooden supports are enough for humans, I suppose.

The others try to decide where we are on the map. We cross the bridge, and find at the other side a pair of towers standing sentry in the dark. The one on the left seems mostly intact, the one on the right crumbling; not all of Clan Darkfell’s engineering marvels have stood the test of years.

A whish in the dark. Javelins fall around us, wounding some. Flung from the battlements atop the open portcullis. We rush forward, out of harm’s way, and burst into the right tower.

They are waiting for us: reptilian creatures that exude a horrible, strength-sapping stench. Their leader flings spells at us, but to no avail. We rush through the tower, a killing wind.

After the battle, Snowcap goes outside to check the tower perimeter while we search the bodies. The inner walls of the tower are covered with primitive scrawls: the word MEERSCHAULK repeated endlessly, along with crude snakelike shapes. A leader?

A crackling of white light from outside, a roll of thunder. Snowcap comes screaming into the tower, hair standing on end, scorched and smoking. “In the water!” he wails, “a human head on a snaky body! Horror!”

We decide it’s time to leave. Now.

Straight back across the bridge, straight across a plain of broken stone, past the ruin of a stone building (hoping we’re headed in the right direction, since they’re trusting me to lead them) and Clanggeddin be Praised we reach the side of this massive cataract. Slip into a cave with a ruined mine wagon in its mouth. There’s a dwarf skeleton with goblin arrows lodged amongst his ribs. A reminder to me from the Axe Father? When the time comes, I will do what you wish, Silverbeard.

(later)
They are chanting, chanting in the dark, from the direction of the tower: “Yss-fara...yss-fara...yss-fara...” I roll over and plug my ears.

Last edited:

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
Episode V INTO the Lost City part 3

Eleint 12
The others awaken stiff and sore, cramped with chill, but I am just getting back into my old form. The depths are kind to me.

We break the fast and hold council, and it is decided we will head into the mushroom forest, based mostly on the wisdom of Snowcap: “I’d rather the danger I don’t know, to the danger I might know.” In other words, give me poison fungus rather than another encounter with the spell-hurling snake. Good enough for me.

Back along the cavern wall, past mine entrances and finally past the cave by which we entered, and we reach the forest.

The deep growths are a multitude of colors, bright and dull, but this rainbow signifies only death. Daziel checks for poisons, and to her chagrin finds too many to categorize. Eventually we decide to press through on foot, rather than using potions and spells to buoy ourselves above.

Soon the forest grows too dense. Mushroom caps tower overhead. “I wonder if we could use those as boats in a pinch?” wonders Bronny out loud...for all his faults, he is certainly full of ideas.

We are assaulted by tentacled violet mushrooms. We encounter a flowing puddle of black ooze that ruins my chain shirt and scars my neck with acid. I ran away...by the Great Arm of Clanggeddin I fled and stood next to Corwyn...I could hear them fighting it in the darkness, heading it off with torches, screaming when its foul tendrils burned them...and I ran away.

I have proven my true worth: nothing. A coward, a poltroon. Great Father of Battles, Silverbeard, will you still take me? Will I have the courage to go when I am called?

Thanks to Daziel’s quick thinking and ready flame, the seething black ooze slides away hunting easier and tastier prey. We press on toward the rushing of water, which grows ever louder, and discover a small tower in the depths of the forest, encrusted with algae, moss and mushrooms.

We enter through a trapdoor in the roof. All the doors radiate magicks (according to Bronny and Daziel), and the inside is lit by globes of light. But it is still and silent, and filled with dusty (extremely comfortable-looking) furniture. Bronny warns us that some of it is magical, but we descend the staircase and make ready to sleep here anyway.

A coward like me will sleep anywhere, I suppose. Where’s that wineskin Bronny gave me?

(later)
One thing remains constant on every expedition: there are only two ways you will wake up in the middle of the night. Either you are shaken awake, or you wake up to someone screaming. More often the latter. It doesn’t make for pleasant dreams, I can tell you that much. Especially not if you’re the one doing the screaming.

This time it is Spooky—Saeita, that is—who wakes me. “The magical chair,” she hisses, “it moved.”

We stand ready, blinking away sleep. The chair, apparently, walked of its own volition to the trapdoor at the tower’s center and knocked hard upon it, ten times.

Now the wardrobe doors swing open, revealing a huge abomination within, sewn together from the parts of countless bodies, dull cloudy blue-grey eyes staring without sight.

Behind us, Snowcap cries out.

“Who are you?” whispers a wholly unfamiliar, and wholly unnerving voice in the room.

He is there with us—how I do not know—shrouded in tattered black robes and a cloak, and from beneath his hood eyes peer: a malevolent twinkling pair of white lights.

But he doesn’t want to kill us. He is more a wasted and pathetic creature, locked away for centuries in his tower, unable to die and unable to truly live. Journal, I will spare you the details of our talk with him.

He is the Flamecoil, one of the four wizards who brought down Aerunedar in the name of The Coil. The others were Shieldcoil, Shapecoil, and Corpsecoil.

One down, three to go, as far I am concerned.

This coward has dwelt here since the allies of the Coil—all manner of reptile creatures worshiping a god called ‘Meerschaulk’—turned against them and took for themselves the City of Darkfell. Now the reptiles are the Sons of the Coil, and they follow a king called Yss-fara. The blood of dragons flows in his veins.

My axe will spill it onto the stone.

Daziel pities him, this thing they call “lich.” Snowcap wishes to do him a service; perform a quest. Bronny wishes to learn magic from him. I drink wine; I am disgusted that they would pollute their own souls by aiding the Doom of Aerunedar, the one who slew the silver dragon Glamerdrung.

But who am I to protest? A coward...as much a coward as this Flamecoil. But I will not end up like he, he who has cheated death and hidden away in a dank forest of fungus. We seek the waterfall, and the bard Hathos, and if Clanggeddin calls me I shall go. Whenever he calls, I shall hear, and the battle will be glorious ere I am fallen.

They have agreed to retrieve for the Flamecoil the corpse of his lover, the Shieldcoil. Fools. They perform services for this demon, yet balk at Bronny’s attempts to learn from him. Already the lich poisons us. He is worse than Muxos, worse than the Fezarch, worse even than Lady Winter.

Someday, wizard...undying one...Flamecoil...I’ll send your soul to rest beside Shieldcoil. I don’t pity you, and I don’t admire you. I’ll hate you with my final breath.

...now where’s that wine?

Last edited:

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
Episode VI To Face the Scarlet Flame

[from the journal of Velm Trueforger, Blood of Nor]

Characters: Bronn Spellforger (shield dwarf Wiz4), Corwyn Black (human Ftr4), Daziel (human Clr4, Selûne), Saeita Neví, “Spooky” (wild elf Mnk4), Van Dyksun, “Snowcap” (human Rgr3/Rog1), Velm Trueforger (shield dwarf Ftr4).

Eleint 13-15

My hand trembles. I can barely hold the quill. See how far I have come from my origin: I write with a quill and ink instead of a good solid chisel and a thick piece of stone. I left home four months ago to find Bronn and bring him back—instead I have joined him, taken up his ways, and been exiled from my Clan.

We are falling to pieces.

Our leader, Daziel, called for a vote to see whether we would leave Flamecoil Tower, or stay so that Bronn might improve his wizardly acumen. The vote was 4-2 for staying. And yet our leader informed us that we were leaving anyway. In that tense moment, I thought Bronn might hurl spells, his eyes were filled with such rage.

She will not remain leader for long, we must see to that. She has placed me squarely in the middle, with my cousin’s life and safety at one side and my leader’s commands at the other. I’ll never forgive her for that.

As we departed without Bronn, I was terrified that I’d made the wrong choice.

I am worn out. We found the waterfall, and the won our way to the catacombs beyond. Our Gods guarded the entrance, all except Sharindlar the Lady of Life. And why would she stand guard before a tomb?

I prayed at the statue of Clangeddin, my Father of Battles, and tithed gold and mithril. When I opened my eyes a small battered pair of crossed axes on a mithril chain lay in the Tithing Bowl. I took it; I don’t think anyone saw.

What can this mean? Would the Father of Battles mean this holy symbol for me, after all the mistakes I’ve made?

And in the tomb? There were puzzles, and traps, and finally a door we could not decipher without Bronn’s help. What need have I to revisit these events...my mind was on other things. The most important discovery we made was twofold, thanks to the tracking skills of Snowcap: a group of four to eight individuals entered this tomb a week ago, and “leather boots” (the Zhent wizard) went in three days ago. None of them, says Snowcap, have come out yet.

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
Epidose VI To Face the Scarlet Flame part 2

Eleint 16/

Reunited with Bronn. Today was an eventful day.

We set out for the waterfall once again, seeking to solve the first lines of the riddle we found so long ago:

I fall forever and not at all
I slay fire
I guard Hatho’s skull...

We are agreed that this must be the great waterfall of Aerunedar, and that the “skull,” or skûl, of Hathos must be his drum. We mean to find it.

Deep within the catacombs we solved the riddle of the Eight Guardians, and by quenching their thirst won through to the caverns beyond. Down a long natural staircase we could see the flickering of lantern light—something did not feel right.

Spooky crept forward, wearing the night lenses, to survey the scene.

She returned, describing a huge cavern filled with carved pillars and stalagmites, a massive pair of stone doors on the far side with green copper pull-rings. But in front of the door, her back to us, sat a bound and gagged woman on a stone, with a lantern flickering beside her. Spooky heard muttering voices somewhere in the shadows.

“A trap,” we agreed.

Bronn sent Wolf the Toad to survey the room, and (much later) the tiny creature returned with news: several enemies. We crept down the stairs and offered a surrender; a voice called back, “The skull is ours!”

Once again, Daziel made our decision for us by launching into battle. This, however, was a decision I could live with...happily. Bronn stepped into the chamber and filled one end of the cavern with webs, trapping two of their number. A gnomish fighter—Snort Riprock—and a cloaked human—the dastardly rogue known only as Dust—dived clear of the webs and moved to join the attack.

We piled into the room. Bruugrah, the female bugbear whose battle-rage is known and feared throughout the Stonelands, stepped from behind a curtain of stone and let out a roar. She became my target. Snowcap launched arrows from his mighty “Boneflinger,” and Spooky used her fists.

The webs suddenly melted away.

The sounds of combat filled the chamber: ringing of weapons on shields, grunts of exertion, sudden shouts of pain, Daziel and Bronn calling back and forth, synchronizing their Art and Power to the greatest effect—A chorus to please the ears of Clangeddin.

A blonde elf stepped from the hitherto-webbed area and took down Snort Riprock, the gnome, and blinded Corwyn Black with a spray of clashing magical colors. Then the Cleric of Kelemvor, Arnor, emerged and entered the fray.

Snowcap dropped them both with swift arrows. Clangeddin smiles on you and your bow, young one.

Spooky and I stood toe-to-toe with the raging Bruugrah. She was no match for us...until Daziel took her down with a spell. Unfortunately, the spell took down myself and Spooky as well! Merely a stunning effect...but enough to keep me from the battle.

The things got worse. From where had the magic-dampening emanated? Why, from Hulgoth Hawksbreath, of course, leader of the Company of the Scarlet Flame. The tall and gaunt wizard appeared just as a streaking flame left his fingertips to explode between Bronny and Daziel, rocking the cavern and bringing down stalagtites from the ceiling.

The mysterious prisoner on the stone broke her own bonds (seemingly by magic), and after exhibiting powers I could not understand, faded into the shadows and escaped.

Dust, the elf sorceror Lefestis, and the cleric of Kelemvor lay bleeding. Corwyn put down the gnome with his hammer. Spooky managed to drop Bruugrah the bugbear. Only Hawksbreath resisted us with his Art, but we overcame him.

The cowardly Hawksbreath attempted to surrender at the final moment of combat. Spooky, in no mood for mercy, knocked him out with a haymaker to the jaw.

As an act of mercy, we bound their wounds before we bound their wrists.

(later)
A long debate ensued over whether we should kill them or let them go. Finally we decided to set them free (without their items of magic), and at least give them a chance to return home in disgrace as fairly defeated combatants.

The room lit up with white light, cut in half by a crack of thunder. Electricity crisped our prisoners in an instant. “You are pitiful! Put your enemies out of their misery, lest they come back to fight again!!”

In his black robes, the wizard Faraugar emerged on a ledge above, surrounded by seven exact likenesses of himself. “The skull is mine,” he said, “you may leave now, or you may stay and die.”

“You’ll be the one to die, Zhent,” cried Bronn.

The struggle was joined, and we swiftly found ourselves fighting a losing battle. Faraugar flew about, protected by his mirror beings, while we fired crossbow bolts at him. We were whittling at his protections while he whittled away at our very lives.

Snowcap quaffed a potion of flight, and took the fight to the wizard...Faraugar only smiled and unsheathed a blade of his own: a black longsword marked with Bane’s seal. No mere wizard, this.

But this day did not belong to Faraugar of the Zhentarim. Though the cut of his blade went to Snowcap’s very soul, it was the young ranger whose scored more hits. “Don’t dare believe you’ve seen the last of me,” Faraugar muttered hatefully, and vanished in a flash of brilliant Art.

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
Episode VI To Face the Scarlet Flame part 3

Eleint 17

There in the chamber, before the huge stone doors marked GRAND PORTAL OF THE DEAD, we slept.

Beyond a secret portal, we discovered the tombs of the Kings of Aerunedar, guarded by stone statues of dwarves that sprang to life. They bull-rushed us, one by one, into the massive pit that spanned the room’s center...in the bottom, among the bones, we faced a swarm of starving dire rats. We won through...I am still writing, am I not?

But Daziel, our leader, was changed. Her enthusiasm was gone. Perhaps she knows, I thought, that we will allow her to lead us no more. I know this, and yet I write it with regret: she was not a bad leader. She just did not know the difference between us giving our wills to her, and she impressing her will upon us. Too often the latter ruled the day.

We found King Cindarm dead under goblin arrows. We found the bard Hathos with his skûl on a strap around his shoulders. We found the dry bones of Shieldcoil, and put them in a sack to return to the lich Flamecoil, unless I can convince them that attack is more prudent.

I shall wear the mithril armor we took from Bruugrah, lest she foul it any more with her wretched bugbear existence. But these weapons—Cindarm’s hammer and Hatho’s sword—and the armor they wear shall stay with them, to aid them in the next world.

Only now do I realize: I did not come to Aerunedar to die for Clangeddin. I came here to lift a curse, and to speak the Word of Clangeddin. That is what the holy symbol means: I am to take up the life of the Warpriest.

My life for yours, Father of Battles. I take it willingly. My axe is ready.

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
Episode VII Serpents in Dark Water

Characters: Bronn Spellforger (shield dwarf male Wiz5); Caramip (gnome female Brd4); Corwyn Black (human male Ftr5); Daziel (human female Clr5–Selûne); Roman Gemlee (gold elf male Ftr4); Saeita Neví (wild elf female Mnk5); Van Dyksun (human male Rgr3/Rog2); Velm Trueforger (shield dwarf male Ftr4/Clr1–Clangeddin).

*Excerpted from Volume 3 of Aerunedar: The Rise, Fall and Reconquest of the City of Gold, by Jungoth Eddletarry of Waymoot, added to the library at Candlekeep in 1423 DR, the Year of the Thundering Hosts:

Chapter Seven: The Battle of Arglarllur Bridge.

If one must look back across the years to find the moment that defined what the Company of the Wolf (or Company of the Coin, if the villagers of Eveningstar are to be believed) would become, the curious student of Aerunedar’s tattered history should look no further than the 18th of Eleint, in the Year of Wild Magic (1372 DR). On this day the members of Wolf Company were to rise above the petty squabbles that had plagued them, and face overwhelming odds. No name for the bridge upon which they made their stand could be more appropriate that Arglarllur.[¹]

After the bloody skirmish with the Scarlet Flame, the clash with Zhentarim wizard Faraugar “Leatherboots,” and the discovery of Hathos’ Drum and the dessicated corpse of Shieldcoil, Wolf Company found their food supplies running low. They foraged for mushrooms outside the Tombs and discussed their options.

But within the tombs, a strange discovery had been made: two goodly-sized boulders of rose quartz with hazy forms trapped at the center. Velm Trueforger and Corwyn Black set to work dismantling them, hoping that their contents would be akin to the gem that held Sir Temuel Khiv in the past month; in short, they once again hoped to resurrect the history of Aerunedar in the hope that it could aid them.[²] It did.

The quartz yielded the gnomish bard Caramip, and the gold elf warrior Roman Gemlee, both of whom the attentive Reader will recall from previous episodes in this very History[³]. For nearly two hundred years they had slumbered in Shieldcoil’s spellmade prisons, only now emerging to find Aerunedar long fallen. On the plus side, the longevity of their respective races insured that some of their family members still lived to welcome them home.

Their recollections served to correct a few legendary errors; in short, the Company of the Wolf came to understand that Hathos was no hero to the dwarves of Clan Darkfell–indeed, he had been exiled years earlier[4]–and that the mysterious “Flamecoil” trapped in the fungus forest’s tower was none other than Ruathgrym himself: the Corpsecoil.

Resolute that the bones of Shieldcoil should not be returned to “Flamecoil,” the Company set out for their appointment with destiny at the Arglarllur Bridge. It is known that they traveled close to, but not beside, the riverbank, due to the fears of Van Dyksun that the naga would return and pelt them with its Art. “In truth, it terrified me,” wrote young Van of the naga, “in my dreams and waking hours I often wished it dead. It [was] without a doubt the most frightening abomination I [had] encountered in my young life.”[5]

Before long Wolf Company found themselves surrounded by the ambulatory fungi of the forest: this time they came as a veritable mob of toadstools and mushrooms which encircled them stealthily and released a dusty cloud of spores. Most of the Company managed to hold their breath, but Caramip and Daziel did not: and so found themselves in mental rapport with the two-foot tall mushroom men.

“We mean you no harm,” said the voices in Cara’s mind. “We bid you welcome,” said the myconids, “battlers of the Consumer. Strugglers against the Despoiler.” Young Van Dyksun was quick to realize that they spoke of the black ooze, the horror that so easily devoured all fungus in its path, leaving clean stone in its wake.[6] Though their weapons were readied and all they needed was a single word to launch an attack, the Company managed to quell their bellicose urges and trust the mushroom men. ‘Twas a wise and lucky choice, for of all the underdark’s denizens, none are more peaceful and philosophical than the Myconids.

Before long they found themselves guests in the court of King Amanita, a toadstool who towered 20 feet above them, surrounded by the many Myconids whom he referred to as his children. “Welcome you are,” said the King, “partake of potables and comestibles as we talk.” Only the gnome Cara was happy to find squirming grubs on the menu, but the others were satisfied with edible fungus and a thick drink that Velm claimed “tasted just like mead.”[7]

In the course of their discussion with King Amanita, they were told of the Myconids’ long alliance with Glamerdrung and the dwarves of Clan Darkfell. Indeed, their tenantship of the Great Cavern predated the dwarves, but they were only too happy to share their domain with the others who arrived later.[8] In addition, it became clear that while Hathos had been exiled to the tower in the fungus forest before Aerunedar was invaded, he later managed to escape and trap Ruathgrym in his stead.[9]

The reverie was short-lived. An intruder approached. Myconids scattered in all directions, and after bestowing the boon of eight magic mushrooms upon the Company, King Amanita commanded them to flee.

Their flight was for naught. The pursuer caught up to them in the forest farther on, and they found it was none other that Ruathgrym’s golem, whom he called Corpus. No one ever accused the Corpsecoil of being especially creative. In any case, the shambling hulk of sewn-together appendages and flesh angled directly toward Van Dyksun and set in to clubbing the young ranger with its powerful arms, desperate to retrieve the bag which held Shieldcoil’s dry bones.

The battle was short and decisive, with the Wolf Company’s victory mostly attributable to the sure and powerful strikes of Steelwind, the blade wielded by Roman Gemlee.

Further along the river, Wolf Company found themselves at the foot of the Great Pillar of Iolar, which is carved into the titanic likeness of Aerunedar's first king, holding aloft the ceiling of the great cavern. With spells of levitation, Bronn made his way upward to inspect the pillar. The inside seemed to be hollow, and within he could hear voices arguing in Undercommon over whether to explore the ruins or bide their time. Though their names seemed to be "Nimira" and "Snurrevin," the actual identity of the mysterious debaters would remain a mystery, as Bronn decided to descend to the Company once more.

Now the Company made haste toward the bridge. On the way they met the mysterious prisoner of the Scarlet Flame, who now identified herself as Zandris Winter, daughter of Lady Tessaril Winter of Eveningstar. The details of this conversation, sadly, are lost to history. Both Van Dyksun and Velm Trueforger make passing mention of it in their respective journals, and the traveling spellbook of Bronn Spellforger which survives at Candlekeep notes, “Winter family: Traitors!!!” in the Spellforger’s customarily trenchant style.[10]

In any case, the Company of the Wolf came to Arglarllur Bridge expecting a row, and they were not disappointed.

Reconnaissance by Saeita Neví revealed that there were indeed more troglodytes waiting atop the far gatehouse, and that the portcullis–formerly open–was now securely closed. They advanced slowly, cloaked and nervous.

As they came within range, the trogs sprang up and sent down a hail of javelins. The shaman who led them loosed a spell that halted Corwyn Black in his tracks. And sticky webs burst over the group, trapping Daziel and Roman securely while forcing the rest of the party forward: it was clear now that they were trapped. Daziel called upon the Power of Selûne–a sword of moonlight that sprung from her hand–and used it to cut her way free.

At the shaman’s command, the troglodytes blew long sounding notes on chitinous horns–tones that carried off into the darkness of the cavern.

Things went from bad to worse: the naga rose out of the river to throw spells onto the bridge-bound Wolf Company, and although Bronn Spellforger entangled the gatehouse with answering webs of his own, it was apparent to all that they were in dire straits.

It was Saeita Neví who led the climb onto the gatehouse under the hail of javelins and spells, and Van Dyksun and Bronn Spellforger who followed. Cara and Roman’s climbing attempts landed them in the dark water of the river, where the naga dove in to attack the helpless pair.

Atop the gatehouse, Van wondered desperately what his sword could do to help. “I wanted it to have some effect on these lizards,” wrote Van, “and I wondered what the runes along the blade meant, and for a moment my mind just focused on the sword. ‘What is your wish?’ said a metallic voice in my head. And of course I just wanted that foul naga to be dead. ‘WISH,’ it told me, and so I said out loud, ‘I wish the naga was dead.’ If only I'd said 'Nightscale.'”[11]

In the river, as Roman was about to be pulled under, there came a flare of light. The singed and dead coils of the naga floated to the surface and slid downstream–dead.

Bronn loosed a stroke of lightning that slew all troglodytes except for the shaman, whom Daziel killed with a well-placed crossbow bolt from below. Though they were sorely wounded, the tide had begun to turn.

Velm and Corwyn took up positions on either side of the portcullis, weapons ready, as Bronn yelled from above in his best Draconic imitation, “We are raising the gate! Forward and attack!” The ruse worked. The throng of troglodytes waiting to rush through and stamp out remaining resistance found only the axe of Velm and Corwyn’s hammer, and they were dispatched with brutal speed.

Silence fell.

Daziel moved forward to heal Corwyn, and Bronn leaned out over the battlements to yell, “Everyone into the tower!” Everything slowed as a serpentine neck covered with black scales, a skull-like reptilian head festooned with spurs and spikes of bone, rose up out of the river and loosed a smoking blast of acid from its maw over Corwyn, Daziel and Velm. It was Nightscale herself, answering the summons of the horns.

"Run!" shouted Bronn. All fled into the tower. From the vantage point of a second-story arrow slit, Saeita warned them that reinforcements were approaching from the direction of the ruins: ten more troglodytes led by a hideous snake-man.

Though they readied themselves to meet the onslaught, the Company was unprepared for the breath of Nightscale. The wyrm landed atop the gatehouse and spewed acid into the tower again and again, as below the door burst open in splinters and admitted the serpentine phalanx.

But the serpents' mistake was to mount the staircase en masse. Bronn Spellforger’s voice formed the bass syllables of a mystical incantation, and a deep thrumming rose in the stairs, followed by a sharp cracking of rock. The stairs fell inward in a cloud of dust, and all but one of the troglodytes were slain instantly. Only the abomination–an eight-foot tall snake wielding a falchion in one of its scaly human arms–remained to fight them.

As the snake-thing let out a dying hiss and collapsed in a bloody coil, yet another blast of acidic breath plumed into the tower. This time Daziel folded to the floor. Corwyn staggered back, terribly wounded. Enraged and screaming, “By Clangeddin’s furious axes!” Velm rushed out onto the battlements to face Nightscale.

“I don’t know what came over me,” Velm later wrote in his journal, “I was terribly injured and exhausted. But when I saw Daziel fall, the idea that this wyrm thought of us as her playthings just filled me with such wrath as I have never felt before. I wanted to bury my axe in her skull.”[12]

Cara had crept to the roof of the tower on stealthy gnome feet, to see for herself what had become of the dragon. As she peeked her head out, she saw the beast from behind, perched on the battlements like a cat about to pounce, its black serpentine tail twitching back and forth in almost feline anticipation. She gasped to see that it was nearly forty feet long, from head to the tip of its tail. And before she could call out, Nightscale plunged downward.

“At first I was surprised to see nothing when I emerged,” wrote Velm. “And as I realized my mistake, the shadow covered me, and doom descended. It was, without a doubt, the luckiest moment of my life. That wyrm had me dead to rights. But I felt her hot stinking breath on my neck as her jaws snapped shut on air; I felt a terrible wind as her claws swept past my back; and then I was slapped silly by the buffeting of her black wings. It was all I could do to disengage and stagger back into the tower. ‘Don’t go out there,’ I warned.”[13]

Bronn looked out in time to see the wyrm soaring away, doing a wingover into the darkness. He ran out onto the battlements and shouted into the shadowy deeps, “This isn’t over!!”

But for one, it was. Corwyn and Saeita stood up slowly from Daziel's unmoving, acid-scarred form. "She's dead," said Corwyn, and a tear slipped from his eye.

Notes:

1. From the Dethek, lit. “Butcher River.” Sometimes translated as “River of Slaughters.”
2. See A History of Starwater Gorge, by Ummatin Tencloak.
3. See Volume Two, The Fall of the City of Gold, pp. 789-825.
4. Ibid., pp.221-365.
5. Dyksun, Van. The Woodland Journal of Van Dyksun, p. 62.
6. Ibid., p. 70.
7. Trueforger, Velm. My Story, p. 24.
8. See Volume One, The Rise of the City of Gold, pp. 14-23.
9. See Volume Two, The Fall of the City of Gold, pp. 445, 523-545.
10. Spellforger, Bronn. Bronn’s Book of War, p. 73.
11. Dyksun, Van. The Woodland Journal of Van Dyksun, p. 63.
12. Trueforger, Velm. My Story, p. 35.
13. Ibid.

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
Episode VIII The Trials of Enthandas

Characters: Bronn Spellforger (shield dwarf male Wiz5); Caramip Murnig (gnome female Brd4); Roman Gemalee (gold elf male Ftr4); Saeita Neví (wild elf female Mnk5); Van Dyksun (human male Rgr4/Rog1); Velm Trueforger (shield dwarf male Ftr4/Clr1–Clangeddin).

NIGHTSCALE:

The puling cry of the maggot reaches my ears: This isn’t over!

You may be assured that it is not, insect. The chill subterranean air lofts beneath my wings as I swing back toward the crumbling towers at the far end of the bridge.

There: the tiny gnome ducks into the staircase as I approach, a dark shape in shadows, a doom floating on air, a spectre of death personified. These fools do not realize what easy prey they are. When will Zandris show herself?

I land atop the bridge, breathing downward, showering the worm (a dwarf who fancies himself a wizard—what a joke!) with scouring acid. His magic protects him—for now—and he ducks to safety.

I hear them within, shouting that they must flee. I smell the fear sweat, hear the moans of absolute terror…they are mine.

ZANDRIS WINTER:

Ah, Nightscale...she is beautiful…spurs of bone and glistening black scales.

Nightscale, coiled atop the far tower, striking the fear of the serpent into these heretics who style themselves “Wolf Company.” They will be slaves of Yss-Fara, fodder for Ooltugula’s experiments, prey of the Coil, food for Meerschaulk the Coiled God.

“Give us the skull!” I shout. The time is at hand, for me to take what we have desired for so long…the srtifact spoken of in the ancient riddles of Clan Darkfell: Hathos’ Skull. “I know you have the remains of the Exile…you brought them from behind the waterfall. Surrender them and you shall live. It is all you need to do, really quite an easy thing.” I use the Voice of the Serpent, but it fails to persuade.

One of them—the cowardly fighter called Corwyn Black—tries to flee. I change him into an asp with a wave of my hand. Crawl on your belly in the dust, as you deserve. Tempus cannot help you now.

They pour out of the tower like ants from a sinking log. They run away toward the ruins of Aerunedar.

And I hear the sound of our Lord approaching, he whose veins hold the blood of dragons, the beat of the drums and the chant of the troglodytes: Yss-fara, Yss-fara, Yss-fara…

“The skull of Hathos,” I insist. “Give it to me and your lives will be spared…for now.”

“Come get it,” says a wavering voice from within. It sounds like the young white-haired ranger, Van Dyksun.

“No tricks,” I say.

A canvas sack, bones rattling within, is tossed to me. I look inside.

I smile. It is the skull.

“Await us at the ziggurat,” I tell Nightscale, and she flies away toward the monument. I gaze in the direction of the fleeing Wolf Company. The fools—they will find nothing but death in those ruins.

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
Episode VIII The Trials of Enthandas part 2

An Excerpt from Bronn’s Spellbook of War

Eleint 18

The war continues. Today I faced down a black dragon and survived. I won’t go into detail about our disaster at the gatehouse after our tremendous victory on the Arglarllur bridge, but once that dragon landed and her dragonfear took the
weak-willed of us (note: research developing anti-dragonfear spell) and Zandris Winter showed her ugly face and demanded “Hathos’ Skull” (Winter family: Traitors!!!), we decided that retreat was our best option.

Luckily I was protected from the dragon’s breath by the Art, and I was able to take gaseous form. Floating away to join the others, I was surprised to see Van Dyksun, our ranger, cleverly giving Winter the bag of the Shieldcoil’s bones! What a wonderful ruse! Only later did I discover that his cleverness was unintentional (fairly typical for my band).

Still, I would love to be there when she tries to use his "skull" to get through the traps at Moradin’s Fane. Hah!

But I was dismayed that the idiot warrior of Tempus was turned into a snake, only minutes after Daziel fell. I certainly won’t miss either of them much, but they were good soldiers. They fought on till the end: and beyond, since it was Daziel’s ghost who led us to the safety of Haela Brightaxe’s shrine. I will rest now and prepare spells soon. (Note: could Combust be used against the dragon? I would love to see it burn. Check Hawksbreath’s notes under Flaming Sphere for possible insights.)

Eleint 19

After resting, we were attacked by a huge umber hulk. Luckily, our battle was aided by a svirfneblin (calling himself Hnaef), who has now joined my party–which is better than another dwarf, I suppose. Truth told, my cousin’s scorn is about all I can handle now. Tomorrow, we move.

Eleint 20

Van Dyksun is dead. Rended by a troll. Before I could consider grieving, his ghostly visage appeared. Aerunedar lets no one escape, even the dead. Mystra give me strength to continue the fight! (note: the Troll’s regenerative capabilities were very impressive, a lesser version may be possible under the necromantic sphere. Research later). We’ve decided to stay here for three nights and two days–until everyone regains their strength.

Last edited:

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
Episode VIII The Trials of Enthandas part 3

Eleint 24

Today we made for the Lunar Speculum. First, we battled hideous beasts with human bodies and snakes attached to their heads. Shatterfloor was effective against them, but the ranger’s ghost helped us greatly. Roman’s nimble battle tactic of springing, attacking, and springing back angered Velm, who was left alone to face the enemies’ attacks. Heh. Velm’s love for battle won’t let him stay angry for long.

We passed Iolar’s huge statue, and found a way in through the foot. We must investigate that later. One day, there may be a statue of me in its place. Mystra knows what the war will bring?

The Lunar Speculum. I admire the powerful magics used here to attempt to destroy the moon goddess’ power. A gigantic crater scars the land, leaving only the ruined temple at its center–hanging in midair, a strong yet invisible foundation of godly Power holding it aloft. (note: good design for my own stronghold!) It was lit by a strange light standing at its center. We climbed a rope and grapnel into the temple nave.

Inside, a shaft of moonlight shone down from the Speculum itself onto this section of the temple floor. Trusting in his goddess, Van Dyksun stepped through. The rest of us followed.

We were transported to a large chamber stewn with the bodies of goblins, serpent-like creatures, and even an illithid! (Note: I took a small sample from the illithid corpse for later study. I don’t think the others noticed.) As expected in Aerunedar, there was another ghost there. (I’m beginning to hate this place). He is the Seneschal–the ghost of the High Priest of the Speculum. It was he who destroyed these creatures who tried to enter the
chambers beyond (which made me look twice at the ghostly visage of our ranger!).

He invited us to try to get Enthandas (the ring that Daziel spoke of) within, but there would be seven tests to pass. He also told us some history of this place, and of Shelmroun–the other ring that was taken by servants of the Coil. (Note: these rings appear to be powerful artifacts to Selune. Avoid the temptation to put them on).

Our first challenge was a triple path leading to three doors (Earth, Stars, and Moon) inscribed with the following:

Choose ye a path, all lead to the goal,
but heed ye three warnings that ye are now told:
Follow the foot’s path and be saved by sky’s breath.
Take the shining path with night’s arsenal at hand.
Walk the way of the Goddess and face the storm’s tongue.

We decided that the earth’s path would involve us flying or require a whirlwind, the moon’s path would involve lightning, and the star’s path would involve light. Light seemed the best choice, which lead us into a room of seven celestial balls of light which were easily dispatched with our magic weapons. (Note: A darkness spell would have been useful here. Consider learning Blacklight spell at next opportunity). Sadly, the door locked behind us, and after passing the next room, a huge stone slab blocked our way. Forward was our only path.

The next room led into a large stone table with two ornate chairs. On the far wall were three paintings. Carved into the top of the table was the following:

I often have leaves, though I’m not a tree,
Sharp knives all around, I never do flee,
For though I’m often surrounded, I never feel fear,
And a good turn in time, makes treasure appear.

We decided that turning the table would bring us one item from one painting. We voted and chose to get the scroll–which was maddeningly blank! (Only later did I discover it was a moonscroll with the power to be scribed with spells and reused over and over again.)

The next room was huge with a large statue of a griffin upon a stone pedestal. Inlaid upon the pedestal in silver letters is the verse:

Relaxed I sit upon my perch
Till suddenly I give a lurch
And off I speed on wing-tips three
Before my prey can think to flee.
I make its flesh and tendons part
And claw my way into its heart.

Now only kin can set me free
So strike the cube with one of me.

We deduced that an arrow needed to be shot at the "cube," but where was it? Only the ghostly ranger could find the keystone in the ceiling, which solved this riddle. We were granted some magic arrows inside the griffin’s mouth. Good, we will need them.

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
Episode VIII The Trials of Enthandas part 4

The next area was disturbing. After feeling uneasy, we deduced this was an area of dead magic. My spells would be useless here. My wits and my blade would have to do. A long plinth of stone stood in the midst of bubbling mud. As soon as we set foot on the bridge, a huge slab of granite began sliding down at the other end of the bridge. We ran for it–only to be dragged into the mud by sticky tentacles. Eventually, it was Van’s ghostly telekinetic powers that dragged us from the mud (note: this spell may be useful when I reach the fifth circle of spells). And strength granted to my cousin from Clangeddin kept the door open long enough for most of us to get through. Sadly, my cousin and Hnaef were left behind.

The next door had no latch, lock or handle and it bore the following riddle:

Housed in crumbling temple, unseen by the eye,
Eternal and breathless, never to die.
It is said that I’m lost if your life’s goal is greed,
Treasures that you hoarde–I will never need.

It was the quiet, fearful bard who spoke the true answer: "your soul," which opened the portal. Perhaps she will make a good soldier after all.

We still had the seventh challenge left, and the last room opened into a treasure vault filled with tall stone shelves holding many tomes, small coffers, scrolls, potion vials, and other items. At the end of the room, was another moonlight portal. The items would do us well in the upcoming war, but the ranger felt that greed was the final test. He moved to investigate the moonlight beam and disappeared. The fearful bard soon followed, leaving the two elves and myself in the room. With our "conscience" gone, we decided to investigate the items.

Roman went first to look at the magical bracers. I remembered my uncle telling me how elves can strip the magic from items just by touching them. Hogwash, but what if the ranger was right? As Roman touched the bracers, a low keening cry rose from the elf’s chest, and I feared some fell magic might be slaying him. When Roman’s shout reached a crescendo (I was fumbling for spell components) it turned into a cry of glee. "These bracers are excellent!" Roman shouted. All was well and we swept the room clean of its treasure.

We joined the others in first room with the Seneschal. Luckily one of the scrolls we found was for raising the dead, and the Seneschal himself performed the spell on our ranger, who proceeded to give me a tongue lashing for my "greed." (Funny how useful he was when he was dead).

We also found a scroll with powerful arcane magics, which we were forced to use to rescue Velm and Hnaef from within the chambers. It could not be helped.

The items we found were touched by Selune herself and radiate power–the gods are powerful beings deserving of our respect. Although the ranger is a fool, he has a good heart and is certainly skillful. This describes most of the others in my band. The ranger and my cousin sought Aerunedar at the will of their deities, Saeita seeks only physical perfection, Caramip seems to want to flee from here as quickly as possible, and Roman seeks glory and riches.

We must free Aerunedar from this curse. This place holds the secrets of dwarven magic. Ages past, dwarven battle prowess worked side by side with arcane and divine magics. With Mystra’s help, this age will live again.

Lady Mystra, thank you for granting me access to the Weave. But the more knowledge I gain, and the more power I accumulate, the clearer the mysteries of the Weave become to me, and the closer I get to my goal. I regret that I was forced to leave behind the dwarven gods when I left Thunderstone. But I had no choice. I know that one day, there will exist a dwarven god of magic on the pantheon of the dwarven gods–and his name will be Bronn. (Note: consider changing name once godhood is achieved).

Now–we rest in the stone cavern guarded by the Seneschal. There is still one Trial awaiting us, the seventh, and the Seneschal says it is different for everyone. Indeed–I say bring it, and I will lay low whatever is brought.

(Thanks to "Bronn" for supplying his journal...)

Remove ads