• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E African campaign setting, "Wagadu Chronicles" being developed by Twin Drums

Do you ask the same question when the art displays mostly men?
Y'know I was trying to avoid that sort of thing since this thread already got yelled at by the mods for this sort of thing and I would rather have a thread that discusses a cool new setting idea rather than fodder for an ignore list.

slobster

Hero
The real answer is that Wagadu men just look really feminine to human eyes, and 70% of the pictures previewed so far are actually dudes.

You get to guess which ones are which!

As a serious note, from what I can tell there are no humans in the setting, or at least not native to Wagadu. Does anyone know if that is correct?

happyhermit

Adventurer
maybe the creator of the setting wants to emphasize women in the world, you don't really know.

and according to @happyhermit, there is art of men in Wagadu that you can find if you decide to look.

No, I saw some commissioned artwork not related to the game. I assume the actual product will have both genders represented, it would be super problematic if it didn't.

Do you ask the same question when the art displays mostly men?

One would hope, particularly with something like this. We don't actually know how they look/dress/groom and since it's based on African sources it's important to let people know, so they can avoid stereotypes and still include the cultural aspects that are meant to be in the game.

As a serious note, from what I can tell there are no humans in the setting, or at least not native to Wagadu. Does anyone know if that is correct?
Um, no...? From reading the linked Twitter thread, all the playable lineages in Wagadu are humans, just with different spiritual ties.

The real answer is that Wagadu men just look really feminine to human eyes, and 70% of the pictures previewed so far are actually dudes.

You get to guess which ones are which!
Or maybe it's tied into the setting, like women are more represented compared to men in the world or there are generally more women being born in Wagadu than men.

slobster

Hero
Um, no...? From reading the linked Twitter thread, all the playable lineages in Wagadu are humans, just with different spiritual ties.
Gotcha. I was reading the linked thread as well, and I couldn't tell if the main race was humans or an original race. All the animal ears, horns, and moth antennae were making it hard to tell if they were all supposed to be a separate race, or humans with spirit characteristics or something.

Zardnaar

Legend
A few African cultures are matrilineal or were to some extent.

I think Dahomey was famous for it's female royal guard or army.

I think broadly speaking there's 4 main cultural groups in Africa kinda like 3 in Europe (Germanic, Romance, Slavic). Lots of smaller ones.

You could do an Egyptian influence in parts as well. There's more pyramids in Kush than Egypt proper.

Crusader Kings II and EUIV kinda useful sometimes.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
While the concept seems cool, I'm not sure if a 5E setting is a good way to represent it. D&D is basically a mythology of its own, and you'd have to cut out the entire spellcasting system and gut most of the classes to properly represent a setting that's substantially different and not just D&D with funny names and hats.
Depends on what they do with it. There's a book due out in a month or two based on Korean folklore. They've designed a whole new class and heavily modified some others to fit with the material. This book might do something like that.

Remove ads