Against the Shadows IV - A Faded Glory Story Hour

What Do You Think of This Story Hour?

• It is the greatest Story Hour ever!

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • It is one of my top 5!

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • It is entertaining. I recommend it to others.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I don't like it very much.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • It sucks! I wouldn't read it if it was the only Story Hour available!

Votes: 1 2.0%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Wait, wait, wait, wait a minute!

Am I to understand that the whole "Union of Lamplighters" thing is not just some witty, off the cuff remark in response to my question about the covered continual flames, but, in fact, a built in campaign feature?!

I've been told by some that I'm fairly quick on my feet and if one of my smart-assed players had asked me the same question, under the same circumstances, I might (stress might), on my best day, have come up with the "well, it's the unions of course" line. But I would never, ever have been clever enough to include that in the campaign from the get-go. If this is true then my comment above that you are the true master is not one word of hyperbole.

Seriously man, with a mind that clever, allowing you to leave the military constituted a real threat to our national security.

Old One

First Post
Rel said:
Wait, wait, wait, wait a minute!

Am I to understand that the whole "Union of Lamplighters" thing is not just some witty, off the cuff remark in response to my question about the covered continual flames, but, in fact, a built in campaign feature?!

I've been told by some that I'm fairly quick on my feet and if one of my smart-assed players had asked me the same question, under the same circumstances, I might (stress might), on my best day, have come up with the "well, it's the unions of course" line. But I would never, ever have been clever enough to include that in the campaign from the get-go. If this is true then my comment above that you are the true master is not one word of hyperbole.

Seriously man, with a mind that clever, allowing you to leave the military constituted a real threat to our national security.

Rel -

Actually, it is a little of both;)!

The Imperial Service Bureau, which I won't go into too much detail with here, is kind of like a U.S. Government Agency + Imperial Chinese Bureuacracy on Steriods...officious, everything in triplicate, lots of layers of useless management, etc! I designed the parameters of that and made some notations on how it would work and how the PCs might interact with it from the beginning design stage.

I must admit that the witty rejoinder about the "Lamplighters and Street Sweepers Local 179" was a little "off the cuff", but it fits very well within the world! I wish I could take credit for creating the concept, but all I had to do was look at our own terribly inefficient government - pushing stacks of paper from one person to another, with no one accountable for anything;)!

Old One

Lela

First Post
I feel that I must put something here. So, I did.

Ya, umm. Consider this is stolen by one more person now.

I'm designing a wealthy city that seems to produce many heros. Recently I've decided to add some politcal intriege; something the players will have to deal with but can't change. Looks like I (you) have another idea. Don't worry, I plan to give you credit for it all:

Player laughing stops slowly, "Wow! When did you come up with that?!?"

Me, laughing slightly: "I didn't! I stole it."

Curious Players (in unison): "Who did you get that from?!?"

Me: "Some Old guy."

Last edited:

Darklone

Re: I feel that I must put something here. So, I did.

Lela said:
Ya, umm. Consider this is stolen by one more person now.

Player laughing stops slowly, "Wow! When did you come up with that?!?"

Me, laughing slightly: "I didn't! I stole it."

Curious Players (in unison): "Who did you get that from?!?"

Me: "Some Old guy."

Hey guys, I gotta stop reading this at work :) My boss looks soo interested...

:mad:

Hey Old One, did it occur to you that players sometimes roll too many natural 20s? Dougal had 12 at one evening... Must check Quickbeams dice rules again...

As for paperstacks being pushed around ... Friend of mine had two unseen servants fight for hours in a library of a temple cause two paperslaves sent the papers back to each other all the time,...

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Old One said:
I must admit that the witty rejoinder about the "Lamplighters and Street Sweepers Local 179" was a little "off the cuff", but it fits very well within the world!

Old One

Well then, it's good to know that you still reside within the realm of mortal men. You were starting to look on the fast track to demi-god at least.

I must also mention that any fantasy world government that runs as inefficiently as our own wouldn't make it into my campaigns. It just strains my suspension of disbelief too much :D .

Looking forward to more!

WSmith

First Post
I have finally caught up. To my glee, I was only missing 11 and 12. So with further adeau, let the blatant @$$ kissing begin!

The summary: Thank you soo much for the summary in the first post. It helped refresh my memory as to what events were occuring. A really good thing for the old fans, with old memories. :D

The Tactics Guide: I never really gave much thought about this stuff. D&D was usually, "in come the orcs, melee folks move up and go toe-to-toe, missile men move back and let 'em fly, and for all that is good, get that unarmored spellcaster to the back and have him start casting some kind of support for us." After this typical settup, the DM nasties never seem to retreat, use very few, if any tactics, some of those cited which I learned in the military myself. Because of your viewpoints, I have to say that when I start reading about approaching gnolls, I get apprehensive and excited, thinking "were are they coming from next." I like the concept of tactical retreats ambushes. Consider that idea stolen, for good.

The Bard Battle: I could actually feel like I was in the tavern myself. Excellent work to both Brigit and Sextus. In a meta game terms, how do you run the playing of this. Did you have Corey, (you're Sextus not Qunitus right? I get all the players confussed at times) say, "I am telling the tale of..." and then roll, or did he actually tell some of the tale and then roll? Just curious how this played out.

The Union Issues: When I was reading it I thought the same thing, why the leather covers? :D I really got a chuckle out of the explanation cause I work for the federal government, and know that this stuff indeed does occur. To put it into the Oar government adds to the level of verisimilitue (sp.)

You and your group sound like a bunch of guys I would enjoy being around. Someday when I am passing through MD, I will stop in and meet the crew.

Old One

First Post
Session 12 (Part Two)

The Cathedral of Oar

The main avenue snaked through the tall buildings for half-a-bowshot before emptying into a large plaza. A three-tiered fountain rose in the center of the plaza, adorned at each point of the compass by larger than life statues of regal looking men clad in antique armor. Directly across the plaza soared the façade of the Cathedral.

Sextus estimated that the main face of the building was ten times the height of Rosë, with flanking bell towers rising higher still. The central nave rose to the same height as the bell towers and the entire façade was festooned with carvings and statuary. Four shallow steps led to the main entrance, an enormous set of double doors. A low wall, perhaps 5 paces high, connected the main part of the Cathedral to the adjacent city walls. It was pierced in two locations by small postern gates. Beyond the wall, the group noted the roofs of several other buildings and a multitude of treetops.

A wide variety of shops lined the plaza, although most were shuttered or in the process of closing. A small crowd, mostly comprised of children, was gathered around a colorful stripped awning to their right. The evening sea breeze wafted an enticing smell towards them from the shop. Following a brief discussion, Lew and Quintus headed for the Cathedral to seek entrance while the others spread out and inspected the various shop fronts. Rosë’s growling stomach led him to source of the smell and he was soon munching on an huge puffed pastry covered in a sweet white substance. He grinned foolishly at the children around him and smacked his lips in delight.

Lew’s ringing of the door chime brought a fresh-faced young aspirant, a lad of 16 winters with a shock of unruly curly blond hair. He presented his holy symbol and requested sanctuary for him and his companions. He also mentioned that he had business with the Bishop. The lad invited them in, then asked him to wait for a few moments. While Quintus waited in the Foyer, Lew slipped into the main worship hall to give thanks to Osirian for their safe arrival. The sheer immensity of the place almost overwhelmed him. The entire abbey of Glynden could easily have fit in the alter area of the Cathedral. Stone and woodcarvings, rich tapestries and gilt decorations bespoke a richness that the simple shrine of Father Thomas could never hope to approach. Overawed, Lew mumbled a quick prayer of thanks and returned to Quintus, wonder reflected in his honest face.

The aspirant, Viato by name, returned shortly thereafter and indicated that the Abbot had granted them sanctuary in name of the Bishop. Lew inquired about the Bishop and Viato indicated that Bishop Attelus had been ill for sometime and the senior clergyman present, Brother Patroclian, had temporarily assumed the mantle of Abbot and was acting in the Bishop’s stead.

The news struck Lew like a hammer-blow! Brother Patroclian was priest that his brother, Marcus, had traveled south with several moons previously and he had overheard Father Thomas exchange heated words with Patroclian shortly before he departed Glynden. He absentmindedly chewed on his lip in concern as Viato directed them to enter through the western postern gate and he would see to their needs. He also told them that the Abbot had requested their presence at dinner following the 8th bell.

The party was soon comfortably settled in a small, 2-story stone guesthouse toward the back of the Cathedral grounds. The grounds themselves were almost park-like, well kept and inhabited by numerous well-fed squirrels that chattered noisily as the party passed. Viato saw to Pratto the mule, while the party settled in.

The first floor of the guesthouse contained a small sitting room and bathing facility. Viato had lit the hypocaust before departing and informed the party that the water would be suitable for bathing in 30 turns of the minute glass. The upper floor had eight small, simply appointed rooms, which were plain but comfortable. The party rested, bathed and cleaned up for about an hour before Viato returned and fetched them for dinner. He led them to a larger 3-story stone building they had passed on their way in – the 2nd Rectory.

He led them past the kitchens and common room on the first floor via a wide circular stone staircase. As they passed the second floor, they saw a score of aspirants, lay brothers and acolytes eating in a large communal dining hall. Reaching the third floor, they were ushered into a private dining room, complete with ornate table and well-appointed sitting area. A large olive-skinned man with curly, shoulder-length black hair, oiled beard and piercing dark eyes, dressed in silken blue robes, rose from a divan to welcome them.

“Greetings and welcome to the House of the Lightbringer. I am Abbot Patroclian, please make yourselves comfortable while we wait for the others. It is good to see you again, Brother Lew, will you introduce me to your friends?”

Lew made the introductions and Abbot greeted each one warmly while looking deeply into each person’s eyes. Lew then produced the letter of introduction from Father Thomas and handed it to the Abbot. Brother Patroclian quickly read the missive and indicated that the resources of the Cathedral library where open to Lew and his friends.

The Abbot made idle conversation, asking about their journey from while several others entered the room. Introductions were continued and the party soon met:
  • Mercator Zoe – The sole supplicant to Myriel. A homely woman of perhaps 40 winters, she wore her years heavily.
  • Ensign-Brother Elias – He tended the shrine to Gabriel in the absence of Captain-Brother Vandarius. Captain-Brother Vandarius’ vessel was 2 moons overdue and thought to be lost at sea.
  • Sergeant-Brother Fortian – The younger brother of Petrosian of Tyrial. He was also a Church Knight and commanded the Cathedral Guard in his brother’s absence.
After 10 turns of the minute glass, Abbot Patroclian suggested they take their seats. “Reverend-Father Jarvis, our Master of Ceremonies and Chief Librarian, should be along any moment. He is not as spry as he once was and may be a few moments yet.”

As if on cue, the door opened and a stooped man with long white hair shuffled in. Ill-fitting robes hung from his frail frame and he leaned heavily on the arm of a short, chubby aspirant with short brown hair and pockmarked cheeks. The room was quiet as Reverend-Father Jarvis took his seat. “Thank you, Stephen.” the old man whispered, “I shall send for you when the meal is over.”

Dinner, served by several young aspirants, was quite good. Numerous courses, including many dishes that the party was unfamiliar with, were accompanied by several bottles of wine – ranging from a dry red to a very sweet white. Sea bass, oysters, spicy rice and pomegranates all graced the party’s pallets and several - Rosë and Sextus in particular - downed copious quantities of wine. The dinner conversation revolved primarily around the happenings about Glynden and the Cult of Ashai. Reverend-Father Jarvis echoed Abbot Patroclian’s pledge to make the library available to the party.

Lew learned that his brother Marcus had traveled to the Jewel Cities to request assistance for the Bishop, who was plagued by a malady that won’t respond the miracles of Osirian. The Bishop was sequestered in a special infirmary in the 1st Rectory adjacent to the Abbot’s quarters. They conversed late into the night and everyone but Quintus was heavy-headed from wine when they finally returned to their guesthouse.

A frantic knock awoke Lew far too early the following morning. “Brother Lew, Brother Lew! Come quickly, there is trouble in the Cathedral!”

He opened his door to find a wild-eyed Viato standing before him.

Lew’s first thought sprang from his mouth. “What has Rosë done now?”

Viato stammered, “It’s not Rosë…there is a large group of people gathered in the Foyer demanding to see you. You better come quick!”

Sighing heavily and somewhat perplexed, Lew pulled his clothes on, grabbed his belt and staff and followed Viato, who sprinted ahead to the Cathedral. Alarmed, Lew hustled forward and quickly made his way to the Foyer.

He slowed his pace as he noticed a large group of people, perhaps a score, milling about. They were largely unwashed and dressed in dirty, tattered clothes. Many were missing limbs or were terribly deformed with all manner of unseemly defects. Faces, filled with desperate hope, turned toward Lew as he approached.

“What are you people doing here?” he inquired.

A jumble of responses burst forth, but one oft-repeated chorus was clear. “We seek the Miracle Worker! We seek Brother Lew of Osirian whose touch can heal the afflicted! Are you Brother Lew?”

The young priest was stunned for a moment. ‘Miracle worker,’ he thought to himself, ‘what in the name of Osirian were they talking about?’

Then it came to him! Kordas, the young man whose back he had straightened, must have spread the word of the “miracle”!

Mind whirling, Lew stood indecisively, trying to figure out what to do.

The crowd edged toward him with plaintive cries of “Help us” and “Heal us” and “Where is the Miracle Worker?”

Lew spread his arms wide, “Brother Lew is busy serving the Light in important ways…”

He trailed off as the crowd closed in even more. One crippled man fell forward and grasped Lew about the knees. The man’s legs were thin and twisted, like gnarled tree limbs, but his arms were strong. “Help me!” he croaked.

Panicking, Lew called upon an orision to bathe the area in blue-white light. Drawing himself up to his full height and using his most authoritative voice, he boomed, “Brother Lew serves the Light. He has important work. If it is healing ye seek, go north. There you will find Brother Lew... Seek out the light...travel to Fort Scipio...”

The crowd drew back for a moment, although the crippled man continued to hold Lew tightly about the knees wailing for help. A woman whose face looked like it was being eaten away by disease looked past Lew towards Viato, who was standing, white-faced and quaking, several paces behind Lew.

“Is he not Brother Lew?” she beseeched with a nasally whine.

Lew turned awkwardly to look at Viato. The young aspirant, eyes as big as saucers, looked from Lew to the crowd and back again.

“Y-y-e-e-e-s-s-s he is,” stammered Viato, before casting a hopeless glance at Lew, turning and fleeing the room.

“SAVE US!” echoed from the walls of the Foyer as the crowd surged forward all about Lew. They grasped his clothing, tugging and wailing in a growing frenzy. Lew tried to twist away, but more and more hands pulled at him, wrenching him to and fro. Suddenly, the crush of the crowd knocked him from his feet and Lew screamed as he disappeared beneath the mass of struggling bodies!

To Be Continued…

Next: Session 12 (Part Three): Martyr or Madman?

Old One

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
That's weird! Is Lew even powerful enough to cure disease?

I fear that he will be torn limb from limb. What are the rest of the companions to do?

Old One

First Post
Broccli_Head said:
That's weird! Is Lew even powerful enough to cure disease?

I fear that he will be torn limb from limb. What are the rest of the companions to do?

Broc -

Thanks for stopping in! Actually, the farmer (Kordas) just had a wrenched back, which Lew fixed with a natural "20" on his healing roll (I think he has 8 or 9 ranks in heal). I guess the downtrodden in the city where really impressed when they heard about the "miracle"!

As they say, "No good deed goes unpunished";)!

Old One

PS - The rest of the crew is hanging out back at the guesthouse

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Old One said:

Broc -

Thanks for stopping in! Actually, the farmer (Kordas) just had a wrenched back, which Lew fixed with a natural "20" on his healing roll (I think he has 8 or 9 ranks in heal). I guess the downtrodden in the city where really impressed when they heard about the "miracle"!

As they say, "No good deed goes unpunished";)!

Old One

PS - The rest of the crew is hanging out back at the guesthouse

I remember that encounter and figured as much after you described what had happened. Truly you are a RBDM for punishing that good deed. How do I join the club :D? I realize IMC that I pull too many punches (at least that's what people comment), but I can change!

I guess under a mob of people, no one can hear you scream!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads