Age of Worms (Act I All Quiet on the Western Front)

Verbatim

Explorer
At the moment, they are fighter and thief, but as I said earlier, if the best concepts give an "unorthodox" party so be it. Some things might be a bit tougher, while some things easier, but the game would still go.

Also, the other two might change their concepts as well. The above was just what was passed to me when I first told them I was thinking of doing this game.

Bloodweaver1

First Post
I would be interested in joining this as well. I have a lot of experience in PBeM's but I must admit that this will be my first PbP. I hope that will not be a problem. The character I was thinking about was a halfling rouge. The background being something along the lines of working at the one the local entertainment business with the family (I think). I will write something up tonight while I have the creative juices flowing and post it here if it is alright with you. When would you like the rough draft & completed character concept?

-Blood

Verbatim

Explorer
Post it on up...

If it helps with the juices any, take a read of the Player's Handout to get a feel of the Diamond Lake area. Look forward to seeing the concept.

unleashed

First Post
Orin Heartwood, half-elf ranger.

Born here, raised here, I’ll probably die here. Supposedly my father is Aelwyn Starflower, an elf who works for Ellival Moonmeadow owner of the silver mines. He probably doesn’t even know I exist, after all he only had a brief fling with my mother. (Amanda Heartwood, my mother, was working the veiled corridor at the Emporium at the time, and once they found out she was pregnant she was booted--of course I know nothing of this). She’s worked at the Spinning Giant for as long as I can recall.

I don’t know how she did it, but my mother got me an apprenticeship of sorts with Venelle several years ago. It’s far better than working at the mines, which is where most of my friends have ended up, and I seem to have a knack with wood. I spend a lot of time sharpening weapons, oiling armour, and managing the shop when Venelle is busy finishing one of her amazing bows, but I’m happy to do that for when we close the shop for the day she teaches me her craft. I love working with the wood, and it’s been mostly arrows until recently, but I’ve finally started working on my first bow. Nothing special, just a simple longbow, but it feels good to be crafting something which requires a little more skill and it shows me Vanelle thinks my skill is improving. We also engage in weapons practice most mornings before opening the shop, it’s usually an extended session starting before dawn when she gets a new shipment in and she wants to test a few of the blades. When she’s in need of new wood for her craft Venelle shuts up shop and we go into the surrounding countryside hunting for choice pieces, during these forays I learn a little something about woodcraft too.

It’s a very full life, but I’m itching to set out on my own and find my fortune...

Last edited:

Saterus

First Post
Samuel Nomas

Well, you said run with it, and I couldnt sleep.

I don't know much about Greyhawk, so you'll have to bear with me, but I tried.

[sblock]Entry 1, from The Journal of Samuel Nomas, *insert relavent date*

After a suggestion by Jim Reave, one of the coal men working down at the smelting house, I've decided to make a journal. I guess the journal needs to be brought up to speed with my life as well. I suppose the best way to start it is to copy down what I told him about myself.

So you want to know my life story this time? That obviously means its your turn to the buy drinks.

I've never really known my family. Since I was a small boy, my father, a merchant, took me on his travels to and from the Free City (Greyhawk?). My mother and brother lived in the city, while my father traded with other small villages. One day, we came back from a trip out to Diamond Lake, and they were just gone. The house we lived in was cleared out, only basic furniture left. No signs they had ever lived there before. We tried to find them. No one knew anything. After a while, we had to move on. For the past ten years or so (most of the time I can remember anyway) he has come almost exclusively here to Diamond Lake to take ore to the Free City and bring back food. As a result, I've lived most of my life on the road, stopping here and in the Free City. My father began drinking after my mother and brother disappeared, and took to spending more and more time in the tavern rather than working out better deals with the mine owners and merchants in the Free City. He left that to me the past few years. We did okay, not great, but enough to buy food. I spent most of my time playing Dragonchess wherever it was possible.

Then hows it you ended up stuck here in Diamond Lake? A bright boy like you with experience as a merchant could be making more of yourself than sweeping the smelting house floors.

Yes, I know. I was getting to that, and yes, more people than you know have told me that since I started there.

You'd be suprised how many people I know-

Do you want me to finish? Anyway, things weren't that great. Since I was about 13 or 14 I began having more changes than are normal for someone that age. (*slowly*) I began being able to preform...tricks. At first, I thought I was cursed. Candles would go out, I would hear strange noises, occasionally see odd lights. After a while, I figured out that I could control these events. They were just little things to make my life a little easier. I could put out candles without getting up, keep bugs out of my blankets, clean my cloths off after playing or working. I would entertain myself while I was alone by drawing starlight like scenes in the sky. Eventually I began to pick things up without ever touching them. Make rips in clothing disappear as if nothing ever happened. (*even slower*) Well, one night my father saw me do some of these things. We were here in Diamond Lake, and staying in the Able Carter that night, about to head to the Free City the next day. He acted like he hadnt seen anything that night, but the next morning he confronted me on it. He called me a witch and accused me of consorting with demons. He blamed me for my mother's disappearance, claiming the demons I bargained with took her. No son of his would be dealing with demons, and as such, I was no longer a son of his. He left town as I pleaded with him to understand and let me explain.

(*Long pause*)

I don't know how I do the things I do. For the past few months, I've begun seeing the swirling energies that must be what drives my....tricks. I just...know thats what they are. I've not understood how I know any of the things that have happened in the past year, but I know in my gut the answers are correct. I haven't dealt with any demons or anything of that sort. In fact, you're the first person I've told this to.

That still doesnt explain why you are wasting away in this one horse town.

Well, after my father left, I tried to convince some of the other merchants to take me to Greyhawk, but it seems that my father has spread his, err, misunderstandings, to the other merchants that frequent the route through Diamond Lake to the Free City. None of them will get near me dispite my experience in trading, and for many of them, years of friendship. After running out of money, and being stuck here in town, I had to find a way to eat. That's where the smelting house came in. I'm not as likely to die in there as in the mines, not to mention the fact that I don't exactly have the miner physique. I'm trying to find a merchant passing through that will take me to the Free City, but it's looking like I may have to go to Blackwall Keep or Elmshire first. The job at the smelting house is relatively safe, puts food in my belly, and gives me enough time to talk to all the merchants passing through the Able Carter.

Well kid, your secret is safe with me. I'm not scared of you, and I'd rather stay on your good side if it comes to it.

Well I don't want to end up stuck here the rest of my life. I'm sure my tricks will be good for something someday.[/sblock]

After both you and Elocin used first person, I did as well. I think it came out as one of the best things I've ever written...haha. :D

Last edited:

Phoenix

First Post
I'm keen to join but am at work at the moment, I'll have something up tonight. If you need some writing examples check my Metropolis game.

Remove ads