• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Age of Worms (Act I All Quiet on the Western Front)

Verbatim

Explorer
All: Some great concepts thus far, and I have decided that I will be raising the number of people up to six. I really think choosing four from you guys will be easier on me than just three.

Saterus: If you had not told me this was your first time throwing a pitch for a PbP game, I would have sworn you had been doing it for awhile. Good job...:)

Saterus

First Post
Well, I've been thinking about trying to start a game with my friends in real life, so I've been thinking from a Dm's point of view a bit more. And I thought about what I would want to see from players, and then as a player, what would make a fun character play without worrying about hack and slash stuff. And so I read your town description and tried to run with it.

I didnt think about it at the time, but how prevalent is magic? Would my character pretty much know its magic by now or is it rare enough that he can be out of the loop without being a complete idiot? Especially since he's fairly well travelled.

Verbatim

Explorer
I am guessing from the description that he will be a sorc, so depending on how you want to take it, he can know as much or as little as you want him to have IC.

Magic in the world of Greyhawk is there, but not as heavy as in Forgotten Realms, but more than in something like an Iron Heroes campaign.

So, if he happened to bump into Allustan and manage to convince the wizard to "guide" him some, that would be fine, but if he spent his time off shooting magic missiles into haystacks, that works also.

All in all, I am just going to be trying to set the stage, but the story belongs to the players, so shape it in the way you will enjoy it the most.

Hope that helps some..

Saterus

First Post
Yeah, I came up with the idea for the sorcerer first, and it seemed like it had a bit more promise to it.

I just wanted to make sure that every town of 100 people didn't have 10 resident wizards hanging around. If he figures out its magic after a little adventuring then I'm sure things will work out.

I think he's going to go for spells like Charm Person rather than Magic Missle. I'm not sure about the other first lvl spell, possibly Sleep, but I've got time to figure it out. I know most sorcerers usually go for fireballs and lightning spells, but I'm not sure I want to do that. I think there's fun to be had without them.

Verbatim

Explorer
After going to Paizo and reading the Age of Worms Overload .pdf, I think I have underestimated the size of the town. While normally, that would mean I would lift the restriction on the amount of money, I think it will stay more in flavor of the desperation I want the chars to have about escaping from the city, or at least trying once to break free.

Saterus: There are resident wizards in the town, some are nothing more than minor charlatens trying to get a few silvers anyway they can, while some are true wizards that have settled in Diamond Lake for reasons that are theirs alone.

However, while you might have learned the "official" name for the talents you manifest, you can call them anything you like, as they are your powers after all. Also, your contact with the other mages can be as much or as little as you like. I can go through the Overload sheet and give you the names of the NPCs you might have had contact with if you'd like.

Saterus

First Post
Hmm...are these wizards publicly wizards? Or are they sort of in-hiding/trying-to-scam people? If there are wizards who are completely open about magic in this small town, I doubt that I could have managed to not realize what magic was after spending half my life in Greyhawk, which is I'm sure a much larger city. If you like, post what you've got, I'll probably end up making some changes to my background. None of it is set in stone, so dont worry.

And as of yet, I haven't planned to start with a familar. I figured it'd be more interesting to start off without one and aquire one while adventuring.

One more thing, what can you tell us of the geography of the town? I've got a picture of this small little mining town, surrounded by mountains. I'm going to assume there is a lake. You mentioned trade routes going to different cities, so that means there are some roads leading into and out of town. Anything else we should know?

Verbatim

Explorer
There are some open wizards in the town, Allustan is the prime example, but there are also potion brewers and other minor hedge wizards. There are also a handful of mages that practice their craft in secret, they are the in-hiding ones out to make some coin for themselves anyway they can.

The city of Greyhawk is about a week away through land, and maybe four days by the river that pulls away from the lake that Diamond Lake takes its name from.

The small town surrounded by mountains is pretty much spot on. The hills and mountains are full of mines that have gone dry and sealed off, as well as the still successful ones that the major "players" in the city own.

I will get to work on getting you a list of the open mages, but even though there are mages, as well as priests, in the town, if your char only embraced his powers slowly, then he could just now be coming to grips with his gifts.

Saterus

First Post
Yeah, but I'll have to change it to hint that he thinks its magic. If there are mages and priests fairly commonly around the world then the idea of magic isn't going to be completely foreign to him. It won't be a major change, just sort of clearing things up.

Verbatim

Explorer
*nod* It is common enough that people know there is a such thing as it, however it is not so common that every home has continual light lamps in every room.

Krug

Newshound
My submission:
[sblock]
Smenik was out to corner the mines in the area, and Nhazak-Tral was an easy target. While other mines suffered output drops according to plagues or problems in supply, Nhazak-Tral managed to have a constant output of material from his single mine. The 'scholar' didn't seem to have much ambition besides outputting consistently, and having a good stash of pipeweed to smoke and the occasional dwarven brew, bought at bargain prices of course.

Smenik's sent spies to investigate, and what they found what that Nhazak-Tral was no mere scholar; he was a necromancer of some degree, but instead of wanting to rule the world, all he did was animate the undead to do the mining for him, and so much for workman's compensation. Though Smenik contemplated enlisting Nhazak by blackmail or other means to create more of this 'animated' workers, Smenik spread the word to come priests of Heironeus who were quite eager to destroy Nhazak's 'workers'. Nhazak himself fled the place, packing all that which he could, unwilling to explain the advantages of undead economics to the priests. Smenik quickly acquired the empty mine at a cheap price, given favourable terms since he has discovered the 'aberrations' happening within.

But Nhazak did leave a legacy, sort of. Thajal was a stable girl, an orphan whose father had died from infected lungs after mining duty. Thajal knew she might face the same fate, as the mine owners took all who worked for them and paid decent wages. One day while out wandering in the remnants of Nhazak's tower, she discovered a spellbook left behind by the merchant magician in his quick escape to freedom. Inside were dark teachings, of dark arcane arts. This, coupled with Thajal's fascination with matters related to Wee Jas, gradually make the young girl think she would be destined for stranger things. She began to understand what Nhazak wanted to do, and that he was not evil, but a bit like her, drained of all emotion. In fact, she saw herself in the undead of the world.

When she turned 16, a raven arrived at her doorstep, leaving a scroll. When she opened and read it, she learnt that she was not an orphan at all, but Nhazak's own flesh and blood, and that he had left the spellbook as a gift for her. She was not a creature of the dark arts, but using it, he explained, she could change the world. Few had the ability to be so close to darkness, and not be consumed by it, and it would up to Thajal to withstand the temptation. Since then, Thajal has studied necromancy, who sees the undead as being merely as druids might see plants; all part of the fabric of the world. At this stage, she just appears as another wizard with her powers, but in her heart, she knows that the dark arts are what she is, and loves.

Right now, she passes her days making food and repairing material for the miners, though she knows her destiny will find her soon...

(So that's the story of Thajal, female Necromancer... who can be tweaked into a LN Cleric of Wee Jas, I guess, if the party needs a cleric THAT badly. ;) )
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads