AI Creates New D&D Monsters

This has been doing the rounds recently - Janelle Shane, a scientist who works with artificial intelligence, programmed a neural network to produce new D&D monsters based on a list of over 2,000 creatures from an old Monster Manual. welcome to the Spectral Slug, Desert Beeple, Purple Fang Dragon, and many more!

This has been doing the rounds recently - Janelle Shane, a scientist who works with artificial intelligence, programmed a neural network to produce new D&D monsters based on a list of over 2,000 creatures from an old Monster Manual. welcome to the Spectral Slug, Desert Beeple, Purple Fang Dragon, and many more!

tumblr_inline_p61sw8dQ7Z1rl9zu7_1280.png

You can view the whole list here.

I'm a fan of the Fumble Unicorn, Burglestar, Spider Brain Horse, and the Chromatic Wolf.

Shane previously used the same AI to produce 265 spell names, which included such classics as barking sphere, hold mouse, and vicious markers and a second experiment which produced an even better set.

She is now crowdsourcing a data set to do the same for character names.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Owlborn should be a playable race. Astro-fish should have been in the Spelljammer MC.

The Wendless Woll sounds terrifying. The Wereladoo sounds confusing. Just an Undead Lake Man sounds a bit lame, but a Fire Undead Lake Man sounds fairly metal.

The next time my players end up in the desert they will be meeting some Desert Beeple. Also a Burglestar will be in my campaign as soon as I figure out what it is.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
WTF is a Kurt?

A Kurt is a guy you work with who tends to take things too seriously but on occasion will say something so out of left field that you're not sure if it's a joke or not and when you finally realize it is a joke it's been too long and if you laugh now you'll be the weird one, so you just sit there in awkward silence.

Edit:

CR 1/2

Not a lot of hitpoints.

Forces a wisdom save, if you lose you have disadvantage on Charisma checks until you finish a long rest.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Some of those might use a bit of creativity....
"Greater Mommy" (yes, mommy, not mummy)
"Great Space Pat"
"Giant Dwarf"
"Dead Dragon" (not "undead dragon" not "death dragon" but "dead dragon")

On the other hand-- a "Chromatic Wolf" or a "Cloud of Chaos" would be pretty awesome for a very trippy campaign.

This is not really a bunch of AI created monsters to, just a bunch of names - I'm very disappointed They don't seem better than any random name generator out there

This is not really a bunch of AI created monsters to, just a bunch of names - I'm very disappointed They don't seem better than any random name generator out there

It is just a list of names, but I think it is better (either usable or funnier) than what a completely random generator would come up with.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads