• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aid Another counts as Flanking

sfedi

First Post
That's the rule I'm proposing.

"Whenever you Aid another to provide a +2 bonus to hit to a friendly combatant, the target is considered flanked by you (the reverse is not true)"

My reasoning/balance goes this way:
-Flanking is much more easier than Aiding Another
-Aid Another is pretty weak
-It makes sense that if jsut being at the opposite side of an enemy provides enough benefit to your comrades as to get him flanked, why shouldn't an active attempt at hindering him?

Thoughts? Opinions?

farscapesg1

First Post
I like the idea. Considering that to Aid Another, you are giving up your attacks that round to give the other person the ability to flank I don't think that it is too awful. Basically, you are helping your comrades out by sacrificing your attack that round. This promotes better teamwork and tactics, and it has been pointed out to me that anything geared towards making the other members of the party shine instead of just making your character shine means that the balance can be stretched a little further (like the War Weaver prestige class in Heroes of Battle) ;)

ThirdWizard

First Post
sfedi said:
"Whenever you Aid another to provide a +2 bonus to hit to a friendly combatant, the target is considered flanked by you (the reverse is not true)"

So if I Aid Another someone, I'm considered flanking them? How does this change anything, since you can't take advantage of your flanking if you're using Aid Another as your action...?

the Jester

Legend
ThirdWizard said:
So if I Aid Another someone, I'm considered flanking them? How does this change anything, since you can't take advantage of your flanking if you're using Aid Another as your action...?

You flank the target, not the person you're aiding.

It's an interesting idea, I must admit.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
But to aid someone in an attack, aren't you going to have to be threatening the target anyways?

I thought aid another in combat required an attack roll against the target, thus you will be in a threatening position, thus you are flanking.

(off to get my books)

HellHound

SRD said:
AID ANOTHER
In melee combat, you can help a friend attack or defend by distracting or interfering with an opponent. If you’re in position to make a melee attack on an opponent that is engaging a friend in melee combat, you can attempt to aid your friend as a standard action. You make an attack roll against AC 10. If you succeed, your friend gains either a +2 bonus on his next attack roll against that opponent or a +2 bonus to AC against that opponent’s next attack (your choice), as long as that attack comes before the beginning of your next turn. Multiple characters can aid the same friend, and similar bonuses stack.

So, you have to be able to attack the target in melee combat, thus you must be threatening the target, and thus you are flanking... no?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
HellHound said:
So, you have to be able to attack the target in melee combat, thus you must be threatening the target, and thus you are flanking... no?

Not if you're all standing on the same side of the target.

-- N

JimAde

First Post
HellHound said:
No. You might be on the same side of the target as your ally. If you are really flanking, you both get the +2 AND you get to attack. If you aid another, your ally gets the +2 (and any other good things from flanking like Sneak Attack). You do too, technically, but you can't use it because your action is all used up.

You could get the +2 if the target provokes an AoO though, I guess.

HellHound

Mmmm... I get it now, as in "Aid Another" provides the person you are helping with the benefit of flanking!

Hmmm... Suddenly it gets a lot more powerful... and there is no strategic way to prevent yourself from being flanked using this system, except standing at the end of a 5' wide corridor, and hoping that your attackers can't fit into 2.5' squares.

I wouldn't allow it in my games... but they tend to be a little rogue-centric.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads