• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Airwalkrr's Shackled City OOC (D&D 3.5)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
As much as I would love the free item Airwalkrr, it is Bohemian who has already set the bar high with his background. I will keep my fingers crossed that mine can fall into the same category though. :)

Well I hate to disappoint you, but it seems like despite your best efforts, your background also qualifies you for a magic item. ;)

Yea, sorry Bohemian, I meant you originally, but somehow made a disconnect when switching between threads. And equipment for the dread necromancer is there, but as I recall it is hidden somewhere you would least expect it; I believe it is the same as a wizard. I'll check when I get home.

And so everyone else knows, I don't expect an enormous essay of a background, not unless you want to write it. An elegant background can be short and sweet as well and still qualify for the bonus.

Oni

First Post
Can we skip the random trait if we want? Enough of them don't fit well, or are enough of a disability in my eyes I'd rather not gamble on them at all if it's alright.

That aside I've a question. Would it be permissible for my character to know orc rather than halfling and use the half-orc languages rather than the halfling ones. In short my background idea is that he is a foundling who was raised by a Half-orc druid fighting the good fight in the forest near the Demonskar and has had almost no contact with his own people.

[edit: Also how common/rare are druids in the area around Cauldron? i.e. is there any level of organization that I should be aware of as I do my background]

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Oni, the random traits are an incentive for being local, but not a requirement.

I'm not inclined to allow the substitution of Halfling for Orc. If he wasn't raised by halflings, he would simply lose Halfling as a bonus language. However, having a half-orc's choice of bonus languages (and also including Orc on that list) instead of halfling bonus languages based on his background would be acceptable.

There is no druidic hierarchy in the area. Druids are scattered throughout the land and live more or less independent of each other. Most of them would answer to the Hierophants who dwell in the central part of the continent, but few of them have any regular contact outside the region.

Floch - Half Orc Fighter

[sblock=Character sheet]
Floch
Male Half-Orc Fighter 1 (Human Baklunish / Mountain Orc)
True Neutral
Strength 19 (+4)
Dexterity 13 (+1)
Constitution 16 (+3)
Intelligence 11 (+0)
Wisdom 13 (+1)
Charisma 11 (+0)

Total Hit Points: 13
Speed: 20 feet
Armor Class: 18 = 10 +1 [dexterity] +5 [Armor] +2 [Shield]
Touch AC: 11
Flat-footed: 17

Initiative modifier: +1 = +1 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +5 = 2 [base] +3 [constitution]
Reflex save: +1 = 0 [base] +1 [dexterity]
Will save: +1 = 0 [base] +1 [wisdom]
Attack (Long Sword): +5 = 1 [base] +4 [strength]
Attack (Battle Axe): +6 = 1 [base] +4 [strength] +1 [Feat]
Attack (unarmed): +5 = 1 [base] +4 [strength]
Attack (missile): +2 = 1 [base] +1 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +5 = 1 [base] +4 [strength]

Languages: Common Orc

[sblock=Appearance]
Size: Medium
Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 420 lb
Skin: Gray
Eyes: Light Brown
Hair: Dark Brown; Light Beard
[/sblock]

[sblock=Feats]
Power Attack
Weapon Focus: Battle Axe (+1 to Atack)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Skills]
Skill Name (Key Ability) Skill Modifier = Ability Modifier + Ranks + Misc. Modifier

Appraise Int 0 = +0
Balance Dex* -6 = +1 -7
Bluff Cha 0 = +0
Climb Str* 0 = +4 +3 -7
Concentration Con 3 = +3
Craft Int 0 = +0
Diplomacy Cha 0 = +0
Disguise Cha 0 = +0
Escape Artist Dex* -6 = +1 -7
Forgery Int 0 = +0
Gather Information Cha 0 = +0
Heal Wis 1 = +1
Hide Dex* -6 = +1 -7
Intimidate Cha 4 = +0 +4
Jump Str* -2 = +4 +1 -7
Listen Wis 1 = +1
Move Silently Dex* -6 = +1 -7
Ride Dex 1 = +1
Search Int 0 = +0
Sense Motive Wis 1 = +1
Spot Wis 1 = +1
Survival Wis 1 = +1
Swim Str** 4 = +4 -7
Use Rope Dex 1 = +1
* = check penalty for wearing armor
[/sblock]

[sblock=Class and Race traits]
Half-Orc:
• +2 strength / -2 intelligence / -2 charisma (already included)
• Darkvision (see 60 feet in pitch-dark)
Fighter:
• Bonus Feats (already included)
Campaign Trait:
• Dream Haunted - You are used to fatigue, and suffer no penalties when you become fatigued. When you become exhausted, you are instead treated as if you are fatigued. –2 penalty on saving throws against effects that cause madness or insanity, and on saving throws against sleep effects.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Equipment]
Light load:116 lb. or less
Medium load:117-233 lb.
Heavy load:234-350 lb.
Lift over head:350 lb.
Lift off ground:700 lb.
Push or drag:1750 lb.

Battle Axe (dmg 1d8+4) - body
Long Sword (dmg 1d8+4) - body
Heavy Wooden Shield - body
Chain mail - body
potion of protection from chaos
Crystal of illumination (fixed to the hilt of the battle axe, glow with a 5-ft. radius)

Bedroll
Winter blanket - backpack
Backpack - body
Waterskin - backpack
Traveler’s outfit
4 Pitons - backpack
2 Hemp ropes (50 ft.) - backpack
Hammer - backpack

Total Weight: 103 lb of equipment (light load)
Wealth: 50.5 gold coins
[/sblock]
[sblock=BackGround]
Floch is Half Baklunish human and half Mountain Orc. His mother was kidnapped from Ket along time ago by a wandering tribe of Orcs, the Orcs themselves were banished to find a new Home from the Yatils. His mother was a slave of the tribe like other women that were captured on the way. Floch was a little child when the tribe scattered to the four winds by a battalion of Human soldiers. The humans took him to Cauldron and left him in the orphanage.
Floch rose in the orphanage for 10 years, he was kind of brutal but it understood by the owners as he was a refugee from the Orcs. Leaving a life on the lower level of Orcish tribe did something to him. He learnt that he must trust only his own almost all his childhood. But living in the orphanage taught hum that he can trust humans as well.
Now he pays his tribute back to those who raised him to act normally like the human part acts. He now serves as a guard over in the orphanage of Cauldron, thought he gets no money, he do get a bed and warm meal. Due to recent kidnapping in the city, the orphanage’s operators began to question his worthiness as a guard. Floch swear that he will find the responsible and regain their trust.
Since his teenager years, Floch is hunted by dreams of horrible events. Orcs are after him, trying to enslave him again. He sleeps lightly, always on the guard. Who knows when the Orcs will come back to claim him again as a slave.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Thanee, I like the write-up. I believe you character would be a good fit if we need you as a backup. Although generally I am not making feats outside the core rules available at character creation, I am willing to make exceptions based on background, and the heritage feats do require taking them starting at 1st level. If you had to choose a heritage feat, I think Infernal Sorcerer Howl was probably most appropriate given what I've seen so far so I will allow it. Ray of flame however, is not available, so you will have to swap that out for something else. Also note that Rhopan is not a free bonus language, unless you spent the skill points on it. Not that Rhopan is necessarily going to come into play in this campaign unless your characters end up using it as a secret code. Rhenee are rare in this part of the world and the campaign was originally designed to be rather setting-neutral, although it did use the PH pantheon and was later incorporated into Greyhawk canon.

Bohemian and Zarust, here are your bonus items (yea, I decided to give you two, aren't I nice?).

Bohemian - potion of cure light wounds, sleep bolt (as sleep arrow but for crossbow)
Zarust - potion of cure light wounds, masterwork light steel shield

Thanee

First Post
Although generally I am not making feats outside the core rules available at character creation, ...

Oh, I must have missed that.

... I am willing to make exceptions based on background, and the heritage feats do require taking them starting at 1st level. If you had to choose a heritage feat, I think Infernal Sorcerer Howl was probably most appropriate given what I've seen so far so I will allow it.

Nice! :)

Ray of flame however, is not available, so you will have to swap that out for something else. Also note that Rhopan is not a free bonus language, unless you spent the skill points on it.

Sure.

Swapped out the spell for Charm Person (which I was thinking about, anyways, but gave Mage Armor the priority since having at least some protection isn't all too bad) and removed the language (she wouldn't have had a chance to learn it, anyways, I suppose).

Picked Rhennee, because of the "edge of society" feel they have, which seems like a good fit. :)

Background is obviously unfinished... just entered a few lines so you can get a general idea.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Zarust

First Post
Thanks for them both. It means that instead of the greatsword, Goran will swap that for a one-handed weapon, which might not be a bad thing at lower levels.

Speaking of that, I knew I was forgetting something and will purchase his gear right now.

Edit: Gear is purchased and for once I bought an item with the fact that some of them give bonuses to assist in checks. So between Goran's natural strength and the crowbar, he will have a +5 on his checks to open any door/chest/misc jammed item we may come across. Nothing earth shattering I know, but every little bit helps.

Edit #2: I was trying to add this game into my signature, as many others list their games, but how do I code it for the links not to be the long ones? I managed to find the spoiler one, but still have no luck with the http one.

Last edited:

Remove ads