Al-Qadim: Land of Fate (5e conversion)

Quickleaf

Legend
Hey Quickleaf, excellent work on this conversion! After finishing up with some Dark Sun and then a homebrew campaign, my party are excited to get back to some desert action! We'll be using what has been completed so far of your conversion. I'll post playtest details here as they become available.

Awesome! If you do end up using stuff, definitely drop me a line about your characters, since most of the stuff I've posted we've been editing/iterating on design, not to mention lots of content from Complete Sha'ir's Handbook we're converting.

Quickleaf

Legend
Let's talk about magic...

Origins of the Elementalist Sorcerer
The main "mage" types in AQ were the Sha'ir of course, and the Elemental Mage (an elemental monogamist) and the Sorcerer (in an affair with two elements). All of these posed design challenges, but I want to focus on the Elemental Mage and the Sorcerer here, since they interact most with province magic.

We were able to translate both into the Elementalist sorcerous origin, which is really 4 origins in 1 (flame, sand, sea, and wind), so each class feature presents a choice. What's cool about the Elementalist is that whether you choose to specialize or branch out is baked into, and rewarded, all in the subclass. [MENTION=6789613]MessiahMushroom[/MENTION] really knocked it out of the park with his design here.

For example, if you focus on the Province of Sand for your 1st and 6th level features, then you begin an Elemental Covenant granting you access to non-sorcerer spells in the Province of Sand (e.g. pass without trace, meld into stone, and conjure sand cat). If you further pursue the Province of Sand for your 14th level feature, you gain advantage on saving throws against spells from the Province of Sand and sand-themed magic in general. If you break your Elemental Covenant by casting spells from other elemental provinces, however, you lose this benefit for a year and a day. Then, at 18th level, you gain an Elemental Covenant feature allowing you to counterspell and manipulate the Province of Sand spells cast by others.

But what if you want to pick spells with a bunch of different elemental themes? You can totally do that! We dubbed it the "Elemental Chaos" track. There are no restrictions here, but you don't get access to non-sorcerer spells on the various province spell lists. And your 18th level feature has to do with invoking the Elemental Chaos to change the damage your spells deal and create small changes to the surrounding terrain as the Elemental Chaos bleeds into Zakhara through you.

Not Just for Sorcerers
But the elemental provinces are a big deal in AQ, so much so that the standard eight spell schools and the arcane traditions associated with them are considered ajami (foreign) among Zakharan mages. Never fear, there are two other ways to get your elemental magic on without being a Sorcerer.

Wizards can take a new arcane tradition called the Alsáher (think "secret society cabalist" and you've got the idea) inspired by the secret societies of The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook, and select the Secret of the Elements feature to gain access to all non-wizard spells from one elemental province of their choice.

Druids can take a new druid circle called the Circle of Aged Masters and choose to bond to an elemental idol granting them access to all non-druid spells from one elemental province of their choice.

This embodies perhaps our most fundamental design criteria: we want to provide multiple ways you can realize your AQ character concepts and campaign ideas, to be descriptive rather than proscriptive.

Spell Conversions
This conversion is going to be chock full of spells! :) I just finished a first draft of spells from the provinces of sand and sea, and it's awesome how imaginative Jeff Grubb and Andria Hayday were with the magic in AQ.

Here's the first draft of one of my favorites: River of Sand.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 1.52.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 1.52.44 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 673

blakesha

Explorer
I know its a reply to an old post, but is it a problem that Al-Qadim leans more towards Sorcerer class than the more scholarly-driven Wizard class? A Zakharan mage that is more of a scholarly bend would be studying magic for magic which would lend toward a more generalist than a sorcerer that feels the elements and channels the elements to power their spells (which I think lends itself better to what Al-Qadim was trying to do, before the concept of a "sorcerer" existed within the 2nd Edition rules

Also on the Mamluk background and the Mamluk Leader sub-class - thank you for not creating a Mamluk (generic) sub-class! If the post-Unbinding setting has the Mamluk's acting independently I can see the Mamluk leadership creating cadre's of elemental Sorcerer-slaves from capture children that showed aptitude, or Clerics that found devotion to the gods and was granted divine magic from this (it was one thing that bothered me about the limitations of Mamluk's as just soldiers from AL-QADIM). Looking forward to using this in my future campaigns.

I notice that you have not included the Ruined Kingdoms in your Gazetteer? It was one of my favourite areas from the original AL-QADIM. Also, the Holy Slayer fellowships as a supplement.. hmm.. ok.. time to break out the pen and notepad :)

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Anyone who want to playtest a whole slew of elemental spells converted from Al-Qadim, PM me :)

I know its a reply to an old post, but is it a problem that Al-Qadim leans more towards Sorcerer class than the more scholarly-driven Wizard class? A Zakharan mage that is more of a scholarly bend would be studying magic for magic which would lend toward a more generalist than a sorcerer that feels the elements and channels the elements to power their spells (which I think lends itself better to what Al-Qadim was trying to do, before the concept of a "sorcerer" existed within the 2nd Edition rules

Welcome to ENWorld :)

If you'll read the post just above yours, you'll see I addressed your question thoroughly.

Also on the Mamluk background and the Mamluk Leader sub-class - thank you for not creating a Mamluk (generic) sub-class! If the post-Unbinding setting has the Mamluk's acting independently I can see the Mamluk leadership creating cadre's of elemental Sorcerer-slaves from capture children that showed aptitude, or Clerics that found devotion to the gods and was granted divine magic from this (it was one thing that bothered me about the limitations of Mamluk's as just soldiers from AL-QADIM). Looking forward to using this in my future campaigns.

Yes, from the start we decided we wanted to be "descriptive not proscriptive", to provide players and DMs a variety of avenues to realizing their Al-Qadim character concepts and campaign ideas. Mamluk is a great example of that.

I notice that you have not included the Ruined Kingdoms in your Gazetteer? It was one of my favourite areas from the original AL-QADIM. Also, the Holy Slayer fellowships as a supplement.. hmm.. ok.. time to break out the pen and notepad :)

I actually think we've included Ruined Kingdoms in the gazetteer since then. I'm not writing that section, but I'm pretty sure it's in. It's a working TOC, so we're constantly adjusting stuff as it comes up in the design process.

blakesha

Explorer
Any ETA on this? Using the stuff already on DMs Guild for conversions, but if that is going into the Adventurer's Guide would rather quote one item then 3 or 4 :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases