Al-Qadim: Land of Fate (5e conversion)

Sir Brennen

Legend
[MENTION=6789613]MessiahMushroom[/MENTION] - came across an updated version of the Ghul Lord, dated last October in a couple of reddit threads. Looks good, as I thought the original was a bit overpowered. This version I think the pendulum swung back and the 14th and 18th level abilities are a bit weak due to being rather situational.

Have there been any further updates? Which version of vicious spell did you go with? And will the updated version appear in [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] 's final Al-Qadim product?

I'm starting a Princes of the Apocalypse campaign right now, set in my homebrew world which borrows a lot of flavor from Al-Qadim and its inspirations. One player has expressed interest in the Ghul Lord in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Glad to hear it'll be getting some use. I'm not sure which was the updated version you are referring to - the Ghul Lord has gone though many changes since its beginning.

Here's a link to the latest Ghul Lord subclass draft. I've opted for a "wounding" vicious spell metamagic. Bleed effects have been very scarce in 5e; assumedly for the hassle of keeping track of them. Hopefully in this instance it will be more fun then hassle. The 14th-level feature could potentially be very powerful if the Ghul Lord has a way to easily cause fear and the 18th level feature has no restriction on how many times it can be used. Hopefully these all play well together - any balancing feedback or other suggestions are welcome.

Quickleaf and I are working on the Al-Qadim product together so yes, the final draft will include all of the subclasses and content I've worked on in their most updated states.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6BwrBuKP4qjbWE2X0M1QmtnU3c

Last edited:

Sir Brennen

Legend
[MENTION=6789613]MessiahMushroom[/MENTION] so, my group's ghul lord saw play this weekend. Though only first level, looks like it'll be fun. I did make a change to the Enigma of Death feature, mainly because I don't have any of the homebrew spells mentioned in the list. So I went back to an older version of the feature (and one I had seen done elsewhere in another homebrew version of the Ghul Lord), and just made all spells of the necromantic school part of the sorcerer spell list for the archetype.

Also, a suggestion on the level six ability, Haematurgy. The current wording of subtracting hit points doesn't seem to take into account the almost continual temporary hit points from the at-will false life feature. Say I have 7 temporary hit points, spend two Hit Dice to get a like number of sorcery points back, roll 6, still have 1 temporary left, and can re-cast false life to get back the temporary points I lost.

Net effect - I spent a hit die, and lost an action casting false life, which can easily be done out of combat. So I can use the sorcery point recovery, one hit die at a time, alternating with freely cast false life, so as not to risk my real hit points.

This is really close to a complete free recharge of sorcery points during a short rest. It's just managing Hit Die as a resource between long rests, using them for SP or HP recovery. That's pretty powerful.

I'd suggest changing the effect to be more in line with some undead creatures abilities which drain life. For instance, a vampires bite: "The target's hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the necrotic damage taken, [...]. The reduction lasts until the target finishes a long rest."

That way, temporary hit points only add to the newly lowered max hit points, creating a real cost to recovering SP. Reducing Max Hit Points also negates the need to add wording for "can't be healed by [magic, regeneration, etc.]"

Also another point: what if you're reduced to zero hit points using this feature, either your version or my suggestion? I got SP back but I drop to the ground in a heap without getting to use it? To let a sorcerer use his sorcery point(s) before going unconscious, I'd change Haematurgy to a bonus action, and have being reduced to zero only affect the character at the end of their turn.

So, my revised version of the ability:

Haematurgy

Starting at 6th level, you gain the ability to draw from your own life-force to magnify your spellcasting abilities. As a bonus action, you can expend one or more Hit Die from your pool to regain lost sorcery points. For each Hit Die expended in this way, roll the die. Your hit point maximum is reduced by an equal amount, and you regain 1 expended sorcery point. This reduction lasts until you finish a long rest. If this reduction would reduce you to a hit point maximum of 0, then at the end of your turn, you fall unconscious but are stable.​

Last edited:

eainmonster

First Post
Hello! I just found this thread, and would love to get ahold of the playtesting rules, as I'm about to send my players to Zakhara! Alas, I'm not allowed to make PMs yet. [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION], can you PM me with details, please? :D

Hashim

First Post
I too, would love to get my hands on those rules. I am a long-time Al Qadim DM (2nd and 3rd edition - did not really like 4th to try playing anything let alone convert a whole setting into it) and want to start a 5th edition game in Zakhara as well. Would you be so kind as to send me the rules please?

Hashim

First Post
Al Qadim was the first setting that I DM'ed. I recall browsing through my LFGS and picking up "A Dozen and One Adventures". Being a long time fan of Sinbad and Scheherazade I was instantly hooked. I ended up purchasing the "Land of Fate" and "A Dozen and One Adventures" boxed sets as well as the "Arabian Adventures" book that same day and starting my first campaign 2 days later with 11 PCs! Fortunately the group was split into 2 separate ones with 5 PCs in each one (the 11th one stopped playing). So many memories. I have ran so far 3 campaigns in Al Qadim and they are all very memorable to me - as I said, I want to start a 4th one using 5th edition rules this time and so I am more than thankful and grateful for this work of love that you are sharing with the community Quickleaf. Thank you.

So sorry for the late response guys. Here's what I have available at this time.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6BwrBuKP4qjcG5oM1hiTDJ3YXc

Please let me know if the link works and/or if you'd like more stuff. Most of what we've made should be in that folder (including the spells).

I should say, the Elemental Evil spells are included in there because this is the folder I used with my Al-Qadim game at home. As you can see, the project still needs a lot of work and we all have moved on to different things it seems. I would love to see a revival of the project at some point in the future.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6789613]MessiahMushroom[/MENTION] I too would like to return to this! I do think we'll need to charge given the amount of work it will take; fortunately, DMs Guild has now set up a way to split funds among multiple authors, which solves a dilemma we were facing.

I'm chatting with M.T.Black and Jeremy about an improved playtest process, because I haven't been getting the feedback I was hoping for from current playtesters.
[MENTION=6922621]Hashim[/MENTION] [MENTION=6916660]eainmonster[/MENTION] I'm working on updating the playtest document bundle; there's a lot to update! Probably will get it done in time for New Years.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases