D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Jago

Explorer
~ ” You cannot recall what you said, Najiyah?” Kaniel incredulously repeated the Sorceress’s words, making a small warding sign with his hand as if the Vizier was somehow touched by the Evil Eye or something worse.

” You could sense Easifa, it seemed. You declared that he had been in our presence the entire time, and you looked as though you were about to attack the Djinn. It was … most unlike you.”

Kaniel looked Najiyah over, placing a large hand of his upon her shoulder with a softness to his yellowed eyes.

” Are you sure you are alright? Forgetting things that happened mere minutes ago does not seem to be a trait a Vizier would have. You recall nothing?”

That alone was most unsettling, but that was not the only thing that troubled the Half-Orc.

” As for Easifa, Salahuddin,” he addressed the sha’ir, ” To keep an agent of the Djinn hidden from us as we conduct this investigation? Within the house of The Sheikh? As we discuss matters vital to Tajar and the rest of this area? I accept your apology, Wind-Called Consort, as I truly believe you meant no harm in keeping Easifa by our side, but even you must admit that This One must wonder where your allegiance falls: to the Mortal Realm, or to that of your Mistress? We are in the service of The Grand Caliph, not the Caliph of The Djinn, Son of Hamid.”

Djinn were a … tricky sort. On the one hand, Kaniel knew full well that of most Genies, it was those touched by Wind that were often the most helpful. Yet, they were still Genies, with their own whims and their own desires. With Kaniel’s blade pledged to The Grand Caliph of Zakhara and The Sheikh of Tajar to investigate issues with Janni and now possibly Efreeti, the Half-Orc did not relish the idea of the Djinni becoming involved as well. They oftentimes did not understand the needs and concerns of mortals. Speaking of …

” How … did you sense Easifa, Najiyah?” he asked, curious in that the Vizier, for her insight, did not bring this up earlier, before the Gen had revealed himself, ” I would assume if your arcane gifts had alerted you to Salahuddin’s familiar prior, this aggressi- … Reaction, of yours, would not have been so fiery. If it was not something born of Magic, then what?”

” And has anyone ever been left without their memory after encountering your Gen, Salahuddin?” he asked of The Consort, ” I am not very familiar with these matters and yet I recall the incident with clarity. Nothing like this has ever happened before? At all?” ~

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]At the vizier's unexpected statement, Nimar's poise falters, his eyes flitting over his men who are haranguing Derafsh but keeping their ears peeled to what happens is said over the chess match. He harbors no love for the Sheikh and perhaps has lingering allegiance to the deposed wicked Sultan, but he also feels a duty to look out for his family and fellows. In negotiations as with the chess match, Akilah has put Nimar al-Solak in a bind. "You are indeed the daughter of nobility," he says with a touch of irony and uncharacteristic awe, his second mouth ruefully enunciating 'nobility.'

Frowning at the outcome of the match, and more so that he sees no alternative, Nimar suppresses a snarl. His second mouth mimics the twitch. "There are few desert guides better for the venture you describe, vizier. If you honor your word about the treasure buried in Jabir's tomb, what remains of the Haras al-Sirri (secret police) will support your investigation of the raids." Noticing that she'd neglected to drink the palm wine, Nimar makes a gesture of raising his cup in a silent toast and draining the contents in one gulp.

"You surprise me, vizier, in your even-handedness. Derafsh was not half the fool I first thought he was in bringing you here. Though," he adds with a smirk at his brother, "he is indeed still a fool."[/SECTION]

GM: Nimar al-Solak Intelligence (gaming set) _: 1D20+3 = [12]+3 = 15 15

So you've won the chess match [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION]. Since I don't know which ability/skill proficiency combo you were using, I'll let you narrate the results!

Also, gain Inspiration for cleverly turning a bad situation to your advantage according to Akilah's values!

[SBLOCK=Salahuddin]Easifa telepathically reports to Salahuddin: "The vizier and this churl leading the rogues appear to be coming to terms, oh my master. Surely, this will end in betrayal and poisoned pomegranate seeds... Ah, and I haven't seen Hakiyah's handmaiden for some time now, she appears to be missing. Do mortals often misplace their servants?" He inquires with a breeze of nervous laughter.[/SBLOCK]

Thateous

Explorer
Akilah allows her king to be checked before performing a castle and using her newly positioned rook to corner and checkmate Nimar.
She nods at his understanding of her use for his family in investigating these raids. As Nimar downs his drink she palms her cup with both hands while speaking, "Remember Nimar, I'm only half nobility." she says draining the contents of her cup, though unable to do so in one gulp.

"Have you been able to locate my guardian? She appears well hidden. No wonder she was able to get the better of your brother she teases playfully." she asks, standing and scanning the area.

OOC: _: 1D20+9 = [16]+9 = 25

Chess was a wisdom check.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]"That is well, vizier, as I am only half opposed to your Sheikh," he answers skillfully, toppling his king. He appears unsurprised by her remark about her hidden guardian Amina. "Is that so?" Nimar turns to look about the courtyard, his eyes meeting meaningfully with his brother Derafsh for a moment. "I did not know Hakiyah smiled upon hidden archers," he ventures, attempting to bait Akilah into revealing something about her hidden guardian. Look though he may, he cannot find Amina anywhere, causing Nimar to furrow his brows.

"I can have my men ready at first light. If there is a long journey involved, you'll see to our provisioning and camels, yes?" He lounges by the edge of the well, studying Akilah for a moment longer, trying to discern just what manner of political creature he's making an agreement with. His second mouth silently enunciates 'journey', its shadow on the pillar behind him like a shadow puppet. "It would be wise, vizier, to move on the treasure in Jabir's tomb sooner than later. Anwar and Kabil stumble over one another, but perhaps they will manage to coerce a priest of Jauhar to divulge the location of their father's tomb; you wouldn't want all that wealth falling into the hands of drunkard gamblers surely?" There is a hint of irony in his voice, faint traces of multi-tonal laughter.[/SECTION]

GM: Amina remains hidden with a 28 Stealth check.

Thateous

Explorer
"She is somewhere, but even I do not know where exactly." she says shrugging her shoulders.

" We..." she pauses "your family included, are now officially working at the behest of the Sheikh. I will meet you before first light to sign any debts accured during the provisioning of this journey. I trust you won't over do it." she says casting Nimar a weary sidelong glance.

"I thought the book we aquired would lead you to the aforementioned treasure... or is there more information you require?"

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Nimar purses his lips at mention of working for the Sheikh, though he only gives Akilah an enigmatic smile when she mentions trusting him to provision his men affordably. "Of course."

"Yes, the book will lead to the tomb," he answers, his voice straining thinly. "The book... do you have it with you?" Nimar's second mouth echoes the sentence.[/SECTION]

Shayuri

First Post
Ah, now here was the test.

Ankabut frowned slightly from her hiding spot. She couldn't see the exact spot Akilah was at, but from her voice she had a pretty good sense of her location. It wasn't ideal, but it would have to do. Since she couldn't see Nimar either, she watched the ones she could see. If the temptation of the book turned him against Akilah, he would need their help immediately. They would betray his intention.

Thateous

Explorer
"I would not be the wise Vizier who just negotiated with, the cursed ones, as your brother put it, if I did. The book will be delivered directly to you as soon as we set out tomorrow morning."

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]As much as Nimar wishes to despise this daughter of a man he considered enemy for most of his life, this vizier cut from the cloth of the elite, he can only smile ruefully at her perspicacity. "As you say, vizier," he gives a brief bow upon rising, once again becoming visible along with Akilah from Amina's vantage point.

"Come, little brother, we have much to prepare for," he gestures to Derafsh who hesitates a moment. "I insist, for you are much better at haggling with Tajar's merchants, and your head looks like it could use some ice," says Nimar in a gravely tone which prompts Derafsh to walk over to his brother's side, giving Akilah a cautious look as he does. "I'll seek you at the western gate before first light," Nimar says as he and his men gather their things to begin skulking back into the city's night.
[/SECTION]

Remove ads