D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Shayuri

First Post
Amina does nothing to encourage nor dissuade Derafsh's assumption. She simply asks, "Have you heard of the House of Uqad?"

One scoundrel, she reasons, may know another. Despite having encountered them in a city, Nimar and his kin seemed no strangers to the deserts beyond.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
When possible, Lal pulls aside the Vizier and Salahuddin for a few quiet words.

"Derafsh tells me that the deposed Sultan is still alive, many decades late, and that he is still a "guest" in a monastery. Despite this, his brother Nimar still follows him, although Derafsh doesn't know why. Could it be that the Sultan is still puling strings, influencing events?"

"... of course, it is not impossible that Derash is lying about Nimar's allegiances so that we solve his familial problem for him."

As far as the issue of the tomb goes, Lal will say this:

"It is in poor taste for the living to disturb the dead. Some would say, however, that it almost as in poor taste for the dead to take treasure with them to the grave, treasure they probably can't use anyway. Almost... but not quite."

Quickleaf

Legend
Amina does nothing to encourage nor dissuade Derafsh's assumption. She simply asks, "Have you heard of the House of Uqad?"

One scoundrel, she reasons, may know another. Despite having encountered them in a city, Nimar and his kin seemed no strangers to the deserts beyond.

[SECTION]"I have," replies Derafsh slowly in the tone of a man concerned about incriminating himself in the eyes of the law...and perhaps the gods. Turning around to partly face Amina, his brows furrowed, Derafsh tests the repaired saddlebag strap. "Sheikh Hanjar al-Haqara knows much of the trade that occurs amongst raiders, because much of it is raided by the House of Uqab. Few would admit to being defeated by such a small tribe, and yet they hover like vultures in the deserts of the Pearl Cities. He is a cunning leader, al-Haqara, not the sort of man you'd wish as an adversary." Squinting for a moment at the afternoon sun, he regards Amina quizzically, still unable to decipher the handmaiden's true purpose.

"At least, such were the tales of the tribe as I knew them. These days, those Uqabis I've crossed paths with say Sheikh al-Haqara is smitten by the arrow of love for a woman - an enchantress, so go the tales - whom he rescued from the desert. As his desire for this desert rose increases, his thirst for riches and mind for strategy diminishes. Some even laugh at the name Uqab, when once it inspired a dread respect. The Uqabis resort to crafting wild tales of their exploits." Here Derafsh pauses and glances at Amina with a puzzled expression, trying to gauge whether she has learned what she sought.

"Had my brethren and I not been fated to enter the Sultan's employ, we may very well have considered joining the House of Uqad...our special skills would have earned us a place of honor..." Glancing toward Fereshte, who though she is by Nimar's side, has trained her eye in the direction of Amina, Derafsh's voice trails off cautiously.[/SECTION]

Shayuri

First Post
"Then it may be, for all the troubles you've had, that fate has dealt you a kindness," Amina says cryptically. In Derafsh's glance and sudden caution she understands that they are observed, and that the brief window has closed. No matter. She's learned enough to guide her next step.

"You have kept to your word with us. I shall pray that Hakiyah guides your path towards redemption."

Whether or not they followed that path, of course, was up to them.

"I am curious. When you recover what you seek, what will you do next?"

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
Husam accepts the mild rebuke of the Vizier with a nod of his head, "Forgive your servant for his ill considered words. I will go where you lead."

Salahuddin nods to the Vizier at her words. The tomb held no allure to him. Wealth was nothing and finding fabled Qaybar was of far more pressing importance. But the rogues would not be content to follow without some show of good faith. He had spent most of the night studying the spellbook but unsure he had the exact location of the tomb pinned down.

"Nimar I know the deal you have made with the Vizier. I am still deciphering the cryptic code that hides the map and the exact location of the tomb. Continue to assist us to the Hakim Oasis as agreed upon and by then I should have the map decrypted." Slahuddin looks to Akilah "At that time we can determine if you have fulfilled your obligation to the Vizier. At that time I will provide you with the spellbook and a map to the tombs location. If that is agreeable to you and the Vizier?"

OOC: I would have studied the book and attempted to decipher the markings to see if they combine in some way to form a map or location. Let me know if I need to roll anything to do this. With studing the book do I have any idea where the tomb is located?

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Thanks for moving things along [MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION]!

You already examined the spellbook like we discussed, and I already told you what you found. IIRC you were contemplating giving it to Akilah because you suspected there was more to it than met the eye.

As far as swaying Nimar goes... make a DC 11 Charisma (Persuasion) check. You're basically asking him to stick to the terms of his agreement with Akilah, despite the place he wants to go to being right over there within reach, so the reward and risk are about even. If you succeed, he'll agree. If you fail, he'll present a counteroffer.

OOC: You the marking in the margins my guess was they make a map or some form of cipher. Wasn't sure if I could decipher their meaning. Wanted Akilah to help in the evening when we camped but we seemed to have glossed over that. We can do that again tonight.
[roll0]

Shayuri

First Post
Amina took Derafsh's silence as answer enough, and went back to Akilah's side. Given the circumstances of their meeting, and the caution she had shown towards them, it was understandable that he wouldn't wish to discuss their plans with her. It was fine. If he strayed too far, it was very likely she'd be meeting him again at some point in the future. There wouldn't be much to say then, either.

Remove ads