D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal replies

"While I cannot presume to answer for the Vizier... we need information. Who were these raiders? Can you tell us more about their numbers, tactics, origins? Where they responsible for the hydra?"

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Slowly unwinding the rest of the bandage hanging loosely from his neck, Malsoor strains slight to sit up straighter. The necrosis has faded completely from around the neck wound, which already seems to have diminished in size. "I will tell you what I know of these raiders, but once I have told you, you will be left with a choice." There is an ominous tone in the water bearer's voice.

"They are servants of the Brotherhood of True Flame, coming at the behest of a master hidden in the Badu al-Kabir. They believe the land must be purified of... certain elements." His brow raises, lips pursing as if he both despises the Brotherhood's agenda and is intimately familiar with it. "When you travel the cities of Zakhara, you behold goblins and giants alongside men and dwarves. The Loregiver's Law. All who accept the Enlightened Faith are treated as equals. But beyond the walls of your cities, away from the Grand Caliph's armies, it is not so simple. Tribes, families," he gestures toward Hadia al-Sarraf with spindly pale fingers, "they must find ways to survive..."

"Some of the raiders were of flesh and blood, but others were...something else...something created...woven and stitched in a parody of life and imbued with the heart of fire. They were implacable foes, silent upon the sands, no heart beating in their chest. Great and costly magic must have gone into constructing so many...The Brotherhood have been preparing for this moment for years. This explains the raided wealth and slaves." His sunken eyes begin to regain their spark, a feral desert light glinting within.

"But there is another question, isn't there, dear healer and dear pilgrim? Why would they attack oases far from the cities of the Enlightened Faith?" Malsoor leans forward as if eager for your answer, dipping his hands in a bowl of water provided humbly by Hadia al-Sarraf, wiping his hands on the last of the white linens.[/SECTION]

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal looks on intently. Although he appears calm, his instincts tell him that violence may be near.

"Who can truly know the reasons of fanatics? Perhaps they felt that this oasis needed... cleansing?

... Or simply they felt that by attacking this locale they would make an expedition to their base more difficult by a hostile force. It could be ideology, or perhaps mere tactics.

Was the choice between debating philosophy and asking about the hydra?"

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Hadia al-Sarraf sets the gourd of water aside, folding the linens with downcast eyes, though her demure composure falters at the mention of cleansing the oasis. "Your wound is not yet fully healed, please, this is too much exertion for you now, water bearer..." There is a deference in the way she speaks in Malsoor's presence, but also an urgency in the way she wrings the linens. "I am sure these emissaries of the Grand Caliph are weary after travel and their trial against the hydra..."[/SECTION]

[SECTION]Raising his hand, Malsoor's eyes seem to flash in the dim light of the oil lamp as he looks over Hadia. "Rest assured," he speaks in a soothing almost sultry voice, "they are fanatics. But even a fanatic's belief have an internal logic; and if they can be understood, they can be defeated. Yes, the hydra must have been summoned by the Brotherhood's raiders. They attacked in concert at night, coming from east, south, and west; it was hard to determine their true numbers, though there were at least seven or eight of the...what did Naji call them?" He turns to Hadia before he remembers, "Yes, Sleepwalkers. On account of their stuttering step as if walking in a waking dream."

"The caravanserai mistress would have me keep quiet about our traditions at Hakim Oasis," Malsoor pauses, straining his neck as if in deep reflection, "for you see, I have been here for as long as the history of the Enlightened Faith. I recall the time when the elven siswa still inhabited the temples buttressing the Badu al-Kabir. I remember the rise of the burnt elves of Akota to west. I was a boy when the stories of the First Grand Caliph traveled from tribe to tribe. You have freed me..." he says with arched brow, retrieving a jeweled ring from the bedstand which he'd removed during his treatment, donning it and redoing the clasps of his shirt, "...from the wound of their cursed blades... and so you deserve to know that it was my presence the Brotherhood's raiders sought to cleanse. And I believe you already know why." He says with a wry smile to Lal Qalandar and Akilah even as his neck wound continues to regenerate right before your eyes.[/SECTION]

GM: Akilah [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] recognizes "siswa" as the name for sacred warriors of her elven mother's tribe.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal took a deep breath and squared his shoulder. Why was this ... being... so bent on pushing the issue? Ah... hospitality. Those rules may bind it in a way mortals were not. It wished to attack, but was unable to do so. It may have been sorely drained by the battle and sought to feed... so it was provoking.

"In all my travels, I have not heard a single story regarding this oasis' lack of hospitality... "
Lal looked sideways at Akilah... the Vizier's lead would be determinant here.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Thateous

Explorer
"If I had to guess, they fear you. Who you are, what you are. People easily turn to fear when dealing with things they can not hope to comprehend. Do you see your... abilities as a gift, or a curse, and how did you come about them?"

Quickleaf

Legend
"If I had to guess, they fear you. Who you are, what you are. People easily turn to fear when dealing with things they can not hope to comprehend. Do you see your... abilities as a gift, or a curse, and how did you come about them?"

[SECTION]Gesturing to Hadia, the water bearer murmurs, "Check on our guests to make sure they have suitable sleeping arrangements? I would speak with these two travelers a while longer." Though Hadia clearly is anxious about leaving Malsoor alone with Akilah and Lal, she bows her head quietly and does as he asks. Soon enough, she leaves the sick room, making her way back to the main cavern of the caravanserai.

Regarding Akilah standing at his sick bed, Malsoor nods, "You possess great insight for one so young; I have seen such wisdom among the long-lived elves, so their blood must flow strong in you. Yes, a lack of comprehension breeds fear, and fear festers into hate. It is something I have witnessed across many centuries: The same eyes, the same fear. I came to Hakim as an ice trader to the southern tribes..." The water bearer begins to relate his curious tale.

"Fissures run below the oasis, and there was once a great block of ice there, kept frozen for years beyond counting in the cold dark earth. As a young merchant, I would cut the ice clear, and transport it with painstaking care to ice houses among the desert tribes and settlements that would become the Cities of the Pearl. It was a lucrative business, insulated from the dangers of banditry." Malsoor pauses to reach for the pitcher of water Hadia left by his bedside, the wound at his neck continuing to seal itself at an astonishing rate.[/SECTION]

Shayuri

First Post
Meanwhile, in the other room, Amina glanced at the passage Akilah and Lal had passed through, and decided.

"It's been too long. I'm going to check on them."

She got to her feet.

Remove ads