D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Matthan

Explorer
Husam takes a moment to gently brush the neck of his steed. The wilting heat had been hard on him, but the horse had mustered through. "We'll find rest soon, my friend," he whispered in its ear.

He listens to the discussion and shares his thoughts, "We are more exposed here than I would like, but that should also allow us to see anyone who tries to approach. I would prefer the safety of a settlement, but we know precious little about the people we are about to meet and what we do know tells us to be cautious. I would like to believe that they would follow the wisdom of the Loregiver and extend hospitality, but I would not want to risk our lives to prove my faith in strangers. It seems safer to approach by the morning light when we can see what we are walking into."

Shayuri

First Post
Amina retreats a step and glances at Akilah from under her veil to see where it seemed she was leaning.

It was, she decided, of little matter. Even if they did decide to make camp out here, she could always steal away in the dead of night to take the measure of this city before entering it properly. That could be valuable enough to justify the risk, perhaps.

Thateous

Explorer
"Then let us find refuge where we can, even if it is in this very riverbed." Akilah says. "We will approach at dawn." she adds. "Any objections?"

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: While camping in the wadi (dry riverbed) will provide you with cover from any passing jann patrolling Khaldun oasis, as most of your PCs know, there is the risk of flash flooding should it rain. [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION] [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] [MENTION=23]Ancalagon[/MENTION]

A DC 15 Wisdom (Survival) check can predict the weather for that night and into the next day. Failing by 5+ would mean drastically misreading the weather patterns (or unnatural weather, such as that caused by genies in the area, fooling you).

A DC 15 Intelligence (Investigation) or (Nature) check can find a highly defensible location amidst the silt/rock formations of the riverbed. Failing by 5+ would mean stumbling into a random encounter, such as a desert creature or fellow traveler also seeking refuge.

And [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], if you decide you want to do recon on Khaldun, make a DC 18 Dexterity (Stealth) check, and we'll play it by ear. If anyone joins you, then make it a group DC 18 Dexterity (Stealth) check.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OOC: It is unfortunate that due to not great stats and character design, Lal is actually pretty bad at any of those tasks (it bothers me a bit since he's such an experienced traveler...) but he'll try the weather at least

Lal looked around, pensive, nostrils flaring. The desert weather had always confused him - the winds, the monsoons here were just not the same. Yet, rain had a particular smell to it...

survival check in the riverbed: 1D20+1 = [16]+1 = 17

OOC2: the dice were kind!

The wanderer spoke up.

"There is rain coming - there is a throb in my shoulders, and I can *smell it* to boot. We shouldn't remain in this riverbed, it could flood."

or (GM pick which is appropriate)

The weather of the desert are always hard to predict but... I don't think we are going to get rain anytime soon

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
OOC: If Amina sneaks out in the middle of the night, I'd like Harun to follow. It seems in character. He's not proficient with stealth, but e has good dex and I want him to do something.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: OK, so Lal Qalandar is convinced there are strong winds coming [MENTION=23]Ancalagon[/MENTION], as he has been listening to desert winds for years of travel. However, it could be the Al-Aeshma winds/genies deceiving you.

While Harun is certain there is rain coming [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION], as he can feel the nearness of water being a water genasi. However, given that the jann of Khaldun are said to "steal a jann's water", their magics could be deceiving you.

Remove ads