D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Salahuddin listens to the Al-Aeshma, taken aback when he states he does not wish to return to the Plane of Air. He listens to the remainder of the response. Recompense, now that is something beyond his control. Salahuddin does not speak as the Great Caliph or his Lords of Air. He cannot restore what the Al-Aeshma lost.

"That is noble entreating on behalf of your brethren with no benefit for yourself. It goes counter to much I have heard of the Al-Aeshma." Salahuddin nods to the Djinn. "As for recompense that is not my purview. The Great Caliph rules over his domain and is the only one who can grant what your brethren request. If I am to pardon them they would need to request an audience with the Great Caliph and plead their case to have their estates returned."

Salahuddin pauses for a moment and watches the effect his words have.

"And what do you get out of these dealings if not return to the Winds of Creation?"

Quickleaf

Legend
Salahuddin listens to the Al-Aeshma, taken aback when he states he does not wish to return to the Plane of Air. He listens to the remainder of the response. Recompense, now that is something beyond his control. Salahuddin does not speak as the Great Caliph or his Lords of Air. He cannot restore what the Al-Aeshma lost.

"That is noble entreating on behalf of your brethren with no benefit for yourself. It goes counter to much I have heard of the Al-Aeshma." Salahuddin nods to the Djinn. "As for recompense that is not my purview. The Great Caliph rules over his domain and is the only one who can grant what your brethren request. If I am to pardon them they would need to request an audience with the Great Caliph and plead their case to have their estates returned."

Salahuddin pauses for a moment and watches the effect his words have.

"And what do you get out of these dealings if not return to the Winds of Creation?"

Winds whistle overhead, as a pair of hawks chase after a songbird in the moonlight. For the first time in the evening negotiations with the Al-Aeshma he casts his glowing eyes toward Akilah, who weighs the truth in every word he speaks. So far, everything the Al-Aeshma has spoken rings with the clarion tone of truth, like a drop of clear water into a basin. It wavers. He contemplates a lie, but at last returns his focus to the sha'ir. "Much of what you have heard..." repeats the Al-Aeshma ruefully, his windy rueful tone implying he distrusts the word of djinn on principle.

"Once... long, long ago... we were the greatest of the Great Caliph's warriors against the City of Brass, fighting the efreet at the very mouth of Jabal Turab, the mountain of dust from which they invade the winds of creation. We were vaunted and held aloft on glorifying winds. Our names were praised in all four corners of the wind. Now we are shadows upon the dunes of this crude world." In one breath he seems to hold the Badu al-Kabir, indeed all the Material Plane, in contempt, while in another he seems to regard it as more of a home than the Plane of Air. "My brethren will represent my case to the Great Caliph...to convince him of the err of his ways..." The Al-Aeshma glowers. "...so that I will hear those praises sung once again, as in the time since long forgotten by mortals and their hubris."

"How do they plan to plead your case? After so many ages resentment and anger may tinge judgement. Returning with demands that may not be met would be folly." Salahuddin studies the Al-Aeshma. "And what if their requests are refused? Will they accept this or will they try to force these requests? I will not pardon your brethren to start a war in the winds of creation?"

Quickleaf

Legend
"How do they plan to plead your case? After so many ages resentment and anger may tinge judgement. Returning with demands that may not be met would be folly." Salahuddin studies the Al-Aeshma. "And what if their requests are refused? Will they accept this or will they try to force these requests? I will not pardon your brethren to start a war in the winds of creation?"

"My brethren will plead first with words," answers the Al-Aeshma with a rumble in his violet chest like a thundercloud. "If the Lords of Air will not hear, they will make them listen... It may be foolish to request wisdom of a figurehead, and yet it would be just as foolish to lay down in silent submission." The words the Al-Aeshma chooses are selected with clipped precision, as if it has centuries to perfect its argument, each kernel it lays down a trap that Salahuddin might stumble into... An tantalizing offer of secrets here, a plea to Salahuddin's own fiercely independent nature there...

[SBLOCK=Akilah]@Thateous Though the Al-Aeshma has told no lies, its opaque answers...what it avoids saying outright...speak volumes. You're certain that its brethren, should push come to shove, would resort to underhanded tactics, if not violence, to make their case to the djinni Great Caliph.[/SBLOCK]

OOC: I'm pausing here to let someone else jump in if they want. I'm loving the scene so far but don't want to hog all the interaction with the djinn. Just let me know if you want me to continue.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Lal's eyebrow shot up.

" "Make listen"? An interesting choice of words. When someone speaks of "making" someone listen, they never mean merely listening. They mean forcing someone to *agree*... It is interesting that this ... linguistics error... is present in most languages, and both among mortals and djinns, is it not? "

Shayuri

First Post
Amina, still keeping an eye on the dervish behind the party, starts moving to be in a position to intercept it should it attack...

Matthan

Explorer
Husam stays crouched behind his rock keeping an eye on the scene. He held great respect for Salahuddin for his office, but he was now seeing that he walked in wisdom as well. Still, his instincts told him that this situation would likely not end peacefully so he kept his hand on the hilt of his sword and waited.

OOC: VLAD, this is your scene, man! Take the spotlight and enjoy it. We're all excited to see how it plays out.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OOC: I concur - I've only been posting a few snippets because there isn't much Lal can say, but also to help keep the momentum going. If this was around a table IRL, I would be keeping mum!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases