D&D 5E AL Season 5 without AL

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Magic Items check. I have a feeling I may be screwing up attunement, as this is a relatively new concept for me.

Current magic items:

Two-Hits Millie - Ring of Protection +1, Boots of Striding & Springing, Spider Staff (nerfed), Bracers of Archery - I think this is a problem, right? In the magic items listing for LMoP, the Boots of Striding & Springing do NOT require attunement, but in the DMG they do. I'm reluctant to penalize the player because there is definitely a discrepancy in the documentation.

Black Wizma - Cloak of Protection +1, Orb of the Warmage +1, the Glassstaff (Staff of Defense, nerfed) - I think this is fine, but she's at her limit as pretty sure all 3 require attunement.

Klegg - Talon (+1 longsword), Dragonguard (breastplate +1, adv on save vs dragon breath), Ring of Jumping - Fine; ring is only item that needs attunement

Tordeck - Lightbringer (+1 mace, light on command, extra 1d6 vs undead), Brooch of Shielding - Fine; brooch is only item that requires attunement

Am I correct here?

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Keep in mind that Lost Mine was released as part of the Starter Set, which was published before the core books. In that sense, the rule regarding using the most current version of a published rule applies ["The most current version of any rule is used -- even if it's reprinted in another book." (FAQ v7.1, p.5)].

Millie will need to decide which three of her four items to attune to.

--
Pauper

CapnZapp

Legend
If you're running an AL game Pauper has the deal.

In a home game I definitely see your point about being lenient, though. (This thread is called "AL without AL" or somesuch, meaning we shouldn't take for granted every poster is talking about AL legit games as opposed to merely any game using AL material. Thx)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
If you're running an AL game Pauper has the deal.

In a home game I definitely see your point about being lenient, though. (This thread is called "AL without AL" or somesuch, meaning we shouldn't take for granted every poster is talking about AL legit games as opposed to merely any game using AL material. Thx)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Yeah, I think I'm going to grandfather in those boots, because it isn't the player's fault (or mine, really). And they are not exactly a game-breaking item.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Looks like the Dec 3rd & 17th sessions will indeed be Parts 1 and 2 of “Into the Belly of the Beast” by Jeff C. Stevens, so we’ll be taking a brief departure from the AL mods for the month of December.

I’ll also be using this one-shot to address some loose ends from our Lost Mines of Phandelver campaign. Some quick background info:

- In our campaign, there was a planewalking Harper wizard named Reidoth (this character is a druid hermit in the adventure as written, but I changed him). Years ago, Black Wizma and her elder brother were his apprentices. Wizma’s brother was impetuous and couldn’t wait to wield magic beyond his training. He convinced Wizma to steal one of Reidoth’s spellbooks and they cast a powerful summoning spell without Reidoth’s knowledge. This ritual brought the green dragon Venomfang to Faerun; Wizma and her brother had created their warding circle incorrectly and Venomfang murdered the brother before escaping into the Sword Coast.

- Reidoth took the blame for the incident because he knew that Wizma couldn’t endure prison. She carried the guilt of the loss for years.

- Unbeknownst to Wizma, Reidoth was eventually able to escape from prison. He did not blame Wizma for what happened since she had been just a child. He dedicated his life to tracking down Venomfang and trying to prevent the dragon from doing further harm. He did not contact Wizma, for her own protection (since he was a fugitive and engaged in a very dangerous enterprise).

- In the meantime, Venomfang destroyed the town of Thundertree (which happened to be Tordeck’s home town; his family had owned a brewery there). She built her nest there and soon her presence corrupted the ruined town and surrounding area.

- Reidoth tracked Venomfang to Thundertree. Unable to defeat her directly, he kept tabs on her activities and warned travelers to stay away from the area.

- By coincidence, the party eventually arrived at Thundertree while tracking down leads to find Cragmaw Castle. Reidoth and Wizma were reunited. He revealed the truth about his activities, Venomfang, and Thundertree, but warned the party that the dragon was too powerful a foe for them at that time. They heeded this warning but vowed to deal with the dragon one day. Reidoth promised to continue his vigil and send word if the dragon moved to a new location.

- Into the Belly of the Beast features a black dragon as the climactic foe. I will replace this dragon with Venomfang.

At the start of our next session, Wizma will receive this message from Reidoth:

Dear Pink Wizma,

I write in haste with urgent news. While you and your companions completed your diplomatic mission to Gralm the Ettin, HSING and Azam learned from contacts in Vuerthyl of a book of ancient rune magic hidden in the Marsh of Chelimber. This book may be vital to the defense of Parnast against Bad Fruul.

Unfortunately, I believe that HSING’s report to me was overheard by one of the Dragon Cultists here in Thundertree. The spy quickly shared this intelligence with Venomfang, and she took to the skies immediately. I fear she seeks this ancient book for herself.

HSING trailed the dragon at a safe distance, and she crossed the desert and descended into the Marsh of Chelimber not far from Parnast.

I must remain here. I have been hesitant to confront the cultists directly, but I now see that this was a grave error. I will see to it that these evil men tell noone else of the book.

You and your friends must face the dragon. I enclose a map of the Marsh of Chelimber. It is old and out of date, but it’s the only clue we have that points to the cave that holds the book.

Slay Venomfang if you can. Avenge your brother if your are able. But at all costs, recover the book.

Reidoth

So I'm taking Jeff's one-shot and overlaying a few custom elements:

- Adding book of rune magic, a plot-important item from DDAL05-07 (which I'm not running).

- Replacing black dragon with recurring villain green dragon introduced in LMoP. If Venomfang is killed, Wizma will get an extra Harper renown point

- In DDAL05-06, there is an Emerald Enclave assignment (recover a sample of razorvine from the swamp). Millie will get this assignment for the one-shot (which, like DDAL05-06, also happens to feature a hag). The razorvine will be placed near the hag's cabin.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
That definitely happens -- I'm in a Pathfinder game running through the Kingmaker adventure patch and the DM was diagnosed with colon cancer. We're going to start up again this Friday after nearly 10 months off while he went through surgery and chemotherapy.

The game goes on, when it can.

--
Pauper

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
That definitely happens -- I'm in a Pathfinder game running through the Kingmaker adventure patch and the DM was diagnosed with colon cancer. We're going to start up again this Friday after nearly 10 months off while he went through surgery and chemotherapy.

The game goes on, when it can.

--
Pauper

I bet it means a lot to your DM that you waited and restarted when he was ready.

I run for two different groups. One is mostly people in their 20s and this one is people in 30s-early 40s. With either group, we have rarely been able to play more than once per month. I'm glad to at least get two games per month (one with each group).

Nobody is being inconsiderate or flaking out. It's all legitimate life stuff. But it's crazy how much time I spend thinking about this game vs how little time actually playing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases