D&D 5E Alchemical Savant and Greenflame Blade

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
The thought of rolling 1d4 for Magic Missile and using it as the damage for each missile seems as strange to me as casting Fireball, rolling 1d6, and then multiplying the result by 8 to get the total damage. But maybe that’s just me. I’ve been playing D&D off and on for over twenty years and this is the first time I’ve ever seen it suggested that a player wouldn’t roll separately for each missile. And yet, I can now see how that rule on page 196 could be interpreted that way.

The thought of rolling 1d4 for Magic Missile and using it as the damage for each missile seems as strange to me as casting Fireball, rolling 1d6, and then multiplying the result by 8 to get the total damage. But maybe that’s just me. I’ve been playing D&D off and on for over twenty years and this is the first time I’ve ever seen it suggested that a player wouldn’t roll separately for each missile. And yet, I can now see how that rule on page 196 could be interpreted that way.
For me, rolling 1d4 for each missile is as strange as rolling 8d6 for every target in the fireball. :)
Essentially, magic missile is an area of effect spell that can affect some targets more than once.

This means that some feature (like alchemical savant) make magic missile a lot more powerful. I'm happy with that.

Remove ads