All Change At WotC: New President Arrives From Microsoft As Greg Leeds Resigns

WotC's President, Greg Leeds, has resigned, to be replaced by Microsoft's Chris Cocks. The changeover takes place on June 6th, with Leeds staying on to facilitate a smooth transfer. Greg Leeds has been President of WotC for 8 years, since 2008. Chris Cock's most recent position was Vice President of OEM Technical Sales at Microsoft. The full press release is below.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 20.48.54.png

Chris Cocks

[h=4]Press Release[/h]
PAWTUCKET, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Hasbro, Inc. today announced that Greg Leeds has resigned as President of Wizards of the Coast, and will be replaced by Chris Cocks who joins the company from Microsoft. Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, offers games and entertainment under world-renowned brands such as MAGIC: THE GATHERING, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, and DUEL MASTERS. Leeds has served as the President of Wizards of the Coast since 2008, and started at Hasbro in 2001. He will stay on to ensure a smooth transition to Cocks, who will officially join the team in Seattle on June 6.

“We are incredibly thankful to Greg for the tremendous contributions he has made to Hasbro, especially during his time leading Wizards of the Coast,” said John Frascotti, President, Hasbro Brands. “Today, thanks to Greg’s commitment and passion, Wizards of the Coast’s brands are stronger than ever. Though MAGIC: THE GATHERING was introduced more than 20 years ago, it is more relevant and popular today than it’s ever been, with a record number of people around the world playing the game and participating in MAGIC organized play events.”

Leeds will be replaced by Chris Cocks, who most recently served as Vice President, OEM Technical Sales at Microsoft Corporation, where he led a global sales and technical engagement team. Prior to his eight-year tenure with Microsoft, Chris served as Vice President of Educational Games at LeapFrog, where he led a cross-discipline team to drive hardware planning, software design and development, marketing and channel management. He began his career in brand management at Procter & Gamble and served in product management and marketing leadership positions in Xbox and MSN, including work on hit franchises like Halo and Fable, prior to joining Leapfrog. Cocks is an avid player and fan of Wizards of the Coast brands, including MAGIC: THE GATHERING and DUNGEONS & DRAGONS.

“We’re very excited to welcome Chris to the Wizards of the Coast family,” said Frascotti. “As an avid fan and player with extensive digital experience, I’m confident Chris is the right person to help us build on the tremendous momentum around our brands and take the franchise to the next level by delivering exciting new experiences to our growing and passionate fan base around the world."

See the list of ex-WotC employees here.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Wow. I am going to reserve judgement until I hear more about Chris Cocks. But I sure want to know what caused Greg Leeds to resign.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Wow. I am going to reserve judgement until I hear more about Chris Cocks. But I sure want to know what caused Greg Leeds to resign.
Might just be near retirement age. LinkedIn shows him as a Marketing Director at Proctor&Gamble back in '85. Assuming he was in his early to mid 30s for a director position, that would put him certainly in his 60s now.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

I agree with [MENTION=6788652]The Grassy Gnoll[/MENTION] ...digital stuff.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, but my gut reaction is "Well, at least I have a PHB, DMG and MM". As he was 'obviously' hired because of his digital forte, to me, that tells me Hasbro wants to head down that road. Which means that it is going to be even more increasingly unlikely they will be getting any money from me. :( I was actually kind of excited about being able to spend my cash on *actual D&D* stuff. That is something I hadn't done at all during the 3e & 4e era...or, roughly, for the last 16 years.

If my reservations are confirmed...well, looks like I'll be waiting another 8 years until D&D 6th Edition "hits the shelves" (if I'm not too busy fighting off the hoards of ravenous dead because of the zombie-apocalypse thing that will probably be going on then...I'm sure I'll have time for D&D though...so...fingers crossed for 6th Ed! :) ).

PS: Although...digital mini-RPG's of childrens cartoons/shows would be pretty sweet... My Little Pony, Backyardigans, Toopie & Binoo (yeah, not all Hasbro...but still...).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

innerdude

Legend
This is unequivocally a response by Hasbro to answer the question, "How the heck do we figure this whole 'digital thing' out to monetize our brands?"

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases