D&D 5E All classes should be broad enough to be split into subclasses

Remathilis

Legend
Thus I suggested using a subrace, why? For two reasons:

- races and subraces are the least strictly defined "character building mechanics"; we have subraces granting larger HD, weapon dice increase, ability bonuses, skills, perception improvements, and totally unique features; there is A LOT of freedom here, so we can come up with ANY defining features that is reasonably good for ALL barbarians (at least the most archetypal ones) including Norse and Maori if you want, without being stuck with 4 skills and a trait (although the trait IS free from design constraints! but it's quite too little)

- using a subrace still leaves each PC the choice of class, background and specialty to make plenty of different "barbarian" PC in the same tribe or world

That's great... for humans. What about dwarven barbarians, elven barbarians, half-orc barbarians, goliath barbarians, halfling dinosaur-riding barbarians, etc... Each a subrace?

Drowdruid

First Post
I really don't understand why people opt so much for berserker specialty, which will limit you again to one type of physical rage although for everyone. As I see it there are several types of rage (ie: classical strong rage, fast attack rage, damage reduction rage, polymorph into werebeast rage etc.) and i think it is wise associated it with protective totem abilities that take effect only when you are actively raging (ie: immunity to fear, charm, death etc.). Also there could be in Barbarian class abilities related to warcries, although this really could be a specialty after all scream all people can do.
I'm not against berserker specialty but I think it should watered down barbarian like arcane and divine magic specialty are watered down wizards and clerics.:devil:
I'm also not against several barbaric backgrounds like Savage, Nomad, Cannibal, Chief, Witch Doctor, Hunter etc.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
I really don't understand why people opt so much for berserker specialty, which will limit you again to one type of physical rage although for everyone. As I see it there are several types of rage (ie: classical strong rage, fast attack rage, damage reduction rage, polymorph into werebeast rage etc.) and i think it is wise associated it with ....

Personally, those sound like different enough abilities that I'd prefer them as different specialties (or classes, in some cases.) At least, to me, "I turn into a bear when I'm mad" sorta trumps the "I'm a raging barbarian." I wouldn't have a big objection to a Shapeshifter Class (maybe not in core, but somewhere). However, I'm not feeling the need to make it Barbarian rage based....at all.

Remove ads