Allow Cannibalism vs. Heavy-handed GMing

Aplus

First Post
First, just to be clear, I am not talking about literal cannibalism...

Here is the scenario, I am GMing an introductory game for my younger cousins (13 year-old boy, 11 year-old girl, 9 year-old boy) They are brothers and sister, so they tend to struggle with the cooperative aspect of the game. After the first few arguments over loot which quickly led to them describing actions they were going to take against each other in-game, I started simply assigning loot myself to the appropriate PCs. I also explained that they would not be able to complete their quest if they didn't work together (it's a short dungeon delve). Yet they still seem bent on killing each other whenever possible.

Should I just let them do it and fail the quest as a result? Should I go against my own GMing philosophy and guide their PCs' actions? Neither option sits well with me. Perhaps there are other options I'm just not thinking of?

The oldest one is the worst, and he has experience gaming and has played in some of my other games. He is a total instigator with no regard for his character's life. I am getting close to just disallowing him in any more of my games, just for the sake of my own sanity...

Any advice is appreciated.

Wik

First Post
Dude, they're 13, 11, and 9... and related. The fact that they can sit in a room together for more than an hour is amazing.

If they're not working together... play a different game.

the Jester

Legend
Should I just let them do it and fail the quest as a result?

Absolutely! It sounds like they're having a blast trying to kill each other; they may even completely forget about their quest.

I recommend that you play Paranoia with them; it sounds right up their alley.

Krensky

First Post
Absolutely! It sounds like they're having a blast trying to kill each other; they may even completely forget about their quest.

I recommend that you play Paranoia with them; it sounds right up their alley.

Actually, I'd recommend Toon! over Paranoia, but that may just be me.

Now, to the question at hand.

Aplus, I'd say that you should make this decision not based so much on GMing philosophy and more on 'parenting' concerns. Now, they're you cousins, not your kids, but the premise is still valid. Remember it's just a game and consider if this is behavior you wish to encourage or discourage and act appropriately.

WHW4

First Post
Well, I mean you've already said that working together would be the best way to accomplish their goals. I'm not sure how else you can say it exactly. I guess you'll have to just show them.

Let them fight amongst themselves, then when only one or two return to the King or whoever, they get questioned for murder/theft/etc. That's how it would play out in our game; granted there are no 13 and 9 year olds, but I'm assuming that you'd like to encourage them to continue playing. Why not get them accustomed to what would happen in a "regular" group?

Of course you could also run another one-off or campaign and ask at the very beginning, "Ok, so are you guys wanting to be heroes or outlaws? Remember, make the choice as a group and it sticks for this game." Hell, at 13 I just wanted as much hack and slash as I could get my grubby little hands on..... bah, who am I kidding, I still do. :p

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Should I just let them do it and fail the quest as a result? Should I go against my own GMing philosophy and guide their PCs' actions? Neither option sits well with me. Perhaps there are other options I'm just not thinking of?

I expect your DMing philosophy was built around palying with late teens or adults, right?

Kids are not just undersized adults. They are in the process of learning social mores, cooperation, and all the rules of behavior your normal players already know. Pushing boundaries, and seeing what you can get away with is part of the process.

The option you're missing is, "Ask their parents how they'd like you to proceed." The parents should know their kids best, and know what lessons those kinds need to learn, and how they best learn them.

jefgorbach

First Post
coupla ideas:

1. skip the plot/etc and simply let them free-for-all in arena/etc since thats what they want/enjoy

2. assign each equal number/type minions and run them as competitive groups hired for the same purpose.

Sorrowdusk

First Post
First, just to be clear, I am not talking about literal cannibalism...

Here is the scenario, I am GMing an introductory game for my younger cousins (13 year-old boy, 11 year-old girl, 9 year-old boy) They are brothers and sister, so they tend to struggle with the cooperative aspect of the game. After the first few arguments over loot which quickly led to them describing actions they were going to take against each other in-game, I started simply assigning loot myself to the appropriate PCs. I also explained that they would not be able to complete their quest if they didn't work together (it's a short dungeon delve). Yet they still seem bent on killing each other whenever possible.

The oldest one is the worst, and he has experience gaming and has played in some of my other games. He is a total instigator with no regard for his character's life. I am getting close to just disallowing him in any more of my games, just for the sake of my own sanity...

Any advice is appreciated.

Firstly.....I thought the party had went the way of the Donner party, sadly no. :uhoh:

In any case, as some have said they are young-however, have you considered what sort of party they are? What kind of characters they want to play, and how those characters intereract? Essentially, what is the 'group template'?

Certainly wokring together could help accomplish goals, but are the characters goals congruent? Did they all just meet in an inn, or -could you have established that their characters already knew each other and had reasons not to fight or plot against one another?

Random Axe

Explorer
I say, IT'S A GAME and the purpose of it is to have fun. If their concept of having fun is to attack and backstab each other at the sacrifice of a higher quest idea, dude, so be it. Let them have The Fun.

Nobody is going to "grade" you on whether you DM'd right, or whether you have betrayed the spirit of The Game by abandoning a quest for the sake of goofing around with the kids. It does not show up as a black mark against you.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I wouldn't take this game too seriously since they are kids after all. Now if you took them a game store and they were pulling this off on other kids, then that's a sit-discussion. But these kids are brothers and sister so I'm like what Wik said, I'm surprised you got them in a same room together for longer an hour.

Anyways, maybe a more competitive rpg like Paranoia or Toon is probably better off for now.

Remove ads